CloudyHead

is it common for a dropzone to pay employees with jump tickets?

Is this legal, or could it be considered tax evasion? It seems like this would be a very efficient way to get some jumps in! I can't pack parachutes yet, but give me a shovel and i'll work my ass in the heat just for a few jump tickets :P

anyone ever have experience doing work at a DZ that didn't involve being an experienced skydiver?

I haven't seen an actual honest-to-god paper jump ticket since 2005, but I have seen DZ's give you a jump with the equivalent dollar amount on your computerized account for work around the DZ.

Think about this, though. The job you're doing, they could pay someone minimum wage to do and how much a lift ticket costs. Lets be generous and say $8 an hour. Lets say $22 for a standard jump. So you're looking at 3 hours of work. Lets say $200 for a student jump of some sort, so now you're looking at 25 hours of work.

Too often I've seen this setup attempted by someone who thinks that if they straighten the packing mat up, sweep the hanger and help catch a few tandems they've earned a jump. Most DZOs I know see it differently.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

i guess whether or not its a good deal is subjective... i still find 3 hours of work per jump to be very worthwhile. If I can earn a couple jumps in a day while working around people who are enjoying life to the fullest, what more could i want? I could spend a whole summer doing that..

Is this legal, or could it be considered tax evasion? It seems like this would be a very efficient way to get some jumps in! I can't pack parachutes yet, but give me a shovel and i'll work my ass in the heat just for a few jump tickets :P

anyone ever have experience doing work at a DZ that didn't involve being an experienced skydiver?

There ya go, folks. Noobie dood just put the Canadian version of the IRS into high gear.

CloudyHead, STFU!
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

I get paid a jump for every video I do.

Ofcourse, I have to use said jump to do the video. :|

:D:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Income is income... it doesn't matter if you are paid in Gold bars... Canadian Dollars... or Jumps.

If you receive something of value, in exchange for performing a service, you just earned income... and you should place a value on the item received and report it.

:P

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Income is income... it doesn't matter if you are paid in Gold bars... Canadian Dollars... or Jumps.

If you receive something of value, in exchange for performing a service, you just earned income... and you should place a value on the item received and report it.

Yeah...that's gonna happen...sure it is.;):o
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

I am just giving you my by the book tax accountant anwser... what you do with it is up to you. :)

Circular 230 Bullshit: "ANY TAX ADVICE IN THIS COMMUNICATION IS NOT INTENDED OR WRITTEN BY TO BE USED, AND CANNOT BE USED, BY A CLIENT OR ANY OTHER PERSON OR ENTITY FOR THE PURPOSE OF (i) AVOIDING PENALTIES THAT MAY BE IMPOSED ON ANY TAXPAYER OR (ii) PROMOTING, MARKETING OR RECOMMENDING TO ANOTHER PARTY ANY MATTERS ADDRESSED HEREIN. ***

Blah blah blah. :ph34r::D

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Cloudy head,
The point on the map on your profile indicates you jump at Eden North. If you have 23 jumps I highly doubt you cannot pack. If you cannot it is because you have not tried to learn. It takes one weekend of really trying to get your packing endorsement and this will pay you far better than anything else you can do on the DZ right now.
As for working for jump Tx, Lyal always pays better if you take it out in trade rather than cash.

It takes one weekend of really trying to get your packing endorsement and this will pay you far better than anything else you can do on the DZ right now.

What he said. Assuming packing isn't a closed shop at your DZ then it's by far your best bet to earn 'proper' money. It's very hard work, but once you get up to speed a busy day at a decent-sized DZ can earn you hundreds of dollars - or more jump tickets than you can use.

***That's exactly what Captain America would say.

John Wright

World's most beloved skydiver

It really is more a violation of the employer. A by the hour worker is an employee. By not paying in money the employer is avoiding employer taxes. To answer the OPs question it is not legal in the US. Wages are required to be paid in funds.