pkasdorf

Hula hoop

I hold it as far out as possible with my left hand and deploy with my right. As soon as I deploy I hold it out in front with both hands to prevent an assymetric body position. It will generally 'bang' on the lines during deployment but shouldn't cause too much trouble.

Just hold it at arm's length out in front of you with your left hand, while reaching back to deploy with your right hand. By the time you get pulled upright, the lines will already be under tension, and the hoop will, at worst, just smack up against tight lines at line stretch, with no chance of entanglement. It's scary to think about, but not actually a big deal, and everyone will think you are incredibly brave for volunteering to do it. Then once the canopy is open, put an arm through the hoop and hang it over your shoulder. With your arms upright on the toggles, this will keep the hoop from falling off of you.

Oh yeah, and brief everyone that the hoop-keeper will be dumping a bit high and without a track, and for everyone to stay the hell away from over top of him. That sometimes gets lost in the confusion of having some people on one side of the hoop who haven't flown through yet, more people on the other side of the hoop who have already made it through, plus the hoop-holders inbetween. You can actually have people from each group tracking towards each other if they're not paying attention... Ack!