Rover

Spin anyone?

I read the captions in the video but I don't quite get it; what causes the wing to stall "at any altitude/airspeed"?

Was this from the increased drag from the door open and the jumpers hanging out, weight distribution problems, turbulence?
Find your peace, though the world around you burns

I'm surprised no one's blamed the spin on the guy's GoPro yet!

Pretty sure the pilot was wearing one.

Jumping out of a spinning plane is fun as hell. Almost as fun as letting jumpers out of a spinning one.B| But maybe this one is not on purpose?

I read the captions in the video but I don't quite get it; what causes the wing to stall "at any altitude/airspeed"?

That's a general point about stalls - they are a result of esceeding the critical angle of attack (angle between chord line of wing and airflow), and it is therefore possible to stall a wing at any speed (of course, attempting to fly too slowly is very often what causes AoA to get too high).

Was this from the increased drag from the door open and the jumpers hanging out, weight distribution problems, turbulence?

Well, an open door with jumpers hanging out of it is something that's going to happen on pretty much every skydiving flight you're going to make, so the pilot really should be ready for it!

Although I'd imagine those two guys sitting right in the boot making no apparent attempt to move forward may be part of the reason the recovery took so long. Pilot seemed to fly out of it pretty quickly after they finally shifted. (But that's pure speculation and I may be talking utter bollocks).
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

So assuming it was AoA, why was the pilot not flying level on jump run? Or if he was level, was he just flying ridiculously slow? Maybe some sort of accommodation for the tandem passenger?

The jumpers hanging out aft of the door makes sense in terms of weight distribution, though would that have created the problem in the first place or just intensified it after it started?
Find your peace, though the world around you burns

So assuming it was AoA, why was the pilot not flying level on jump run? Or if he was level, was he just flying ridiculously slow? Maybe some sort of accommodation for the tandem passenger?

The jumpers hanging out aft of the door makes sense in terms of weight distribution, though would that have created the problem in the first place or just intensified it after it started?

I'm no pilot, so take it for what it's worth.

I see NO reason for a pilot to slow the plane down to accomidate a tandem student. None... Actually, if he got it slow enough, it could make their exit less stable (think flopping around until you hit a good airspeed)

Again, not a pilot... but I think the stall speed is different when the plane is most weight aft.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

What about tapping the pilot on the shoulder when he is dealing with an issue? Was the jumper looking for direction?

Looks like the pilot was NOT dealing with an issue. On the other forum I read that he did not know he was in a spin :S. He thought he was in a spiral dive.

So, the skydiver was probably asking and gesturing "What is going on?!?!?! Do something! Why arn't you doing anything?!?"

Angle of attack is the angle between the cord of the airfoil (wing) and relative wind. You exceed the critical AoA and you stall; decending, climbing, climbing, or turning.

Reserve handle was interesting.

Also anyone notice the instructions at the end of the video. One was if you can't out, pop your reserve and maybe static line your reserve if you are thrown out the door at a low altitude.:D

s at the end of the video. One was if you can't out, pop your reserve and maybe static line your reserve if you are thrown out the door at a low altitude.:D

That's not funny dude, someone actually think that's the appropriate action.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

s at the end of the video. One was if you can't out, pop your reserve and maybe static line your reserve if you are thrown out the door at a low altitude.:D

That's not funny dude, someone actually think that's the appropriate action.

It worked for James Bond in The Living Daylights. and that was a BASE jump from inside a Jeep!
It's all been said before, no sense repeating it here.

Totally agree! The guy kept his stick aft as you see in the video. That is NOT what you would do if you would want to recover. Most general aviation aircraft are very docile and would not enter a fully developed spin without positive pilot action or a centre of gravity way aft of limits. By the looks of it with two pilots in front the c.g could not have been much aft of limit if any. So I'm sure the guy is doing it on purpose. One of the jumpers attracted the attention of the pilot and got some sort of denial gesture. So here's a pilot aware of an open door and (unsecured) jumpers in the aircraft, yet provoking a stall spin maneuver. I would say kick him off the premises and tell him never to come back. And be thankful no one got hurt.