FlyNika

High-risk sports Research Please Help

Take part in extreme sports? Interested in the science behind participating in high-risk sports? Why not spare 15 minutes of your time to help advance the research in field.

Follow the link below and answer the questionnaire. It only takes about 15 minutes to complete and you will be entered into a prize draw to win £50!
https://survey.psychology.bangor.ac.uk/highrisk/

If you have any further questions please email me on [email protected]

Many thanks for your time and participation.

Dominika Kupciw

The project is supervised by Dr. Tim Woodman ([email protected]),
The School of Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences at Bangor University, UK.

You lost me when you asked for another person's info.

And me......no one is going to supply other peoples details....amend your survey or you will be wasting everybodies time.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Another whuffo asking for the lab rats to perform for them...

If you want to understand skydivers, go hang out with them for a few months. You ain't gonna learn shit asking stupid questions online.

For example, "Do you deliberately do dangerous things?" Well duh! Every time we jump out of a plane it's "dangerous", but we don't intentionally do things to make it likely that we'll be injured or killed. So how are you, Ms. Genius, gonna interpret those kinds of answers?

We don't appreciate people poking and prodding us, without a hint of understanding of what we're actually like. But hey, it might satisfy a checklist towards your college degree, so who cares?

You lost me when you asked for another person's info.

Same here. Of course this is data mining, it is research after all. No problem in that. Problem is in why you would need names, both mine and others. I closed it out at that point.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Rap is to music what etch-a-sketch is to art.

I saw your same survey on a separate white-water kayaking forum over the past couple days. Like others noting above, I stopped after a couple queries – It is a poorly written research survey. (I was a psychology minor in school, so understand how these work)

Go back to your supervising professor and have him give you petrol money to get out on a weekend and actually meet/speak with people in these sports. However, note that even if you rewrite your survey queries you are not getting a statistically accurate data sample from on-line forum surveys. You are getting a sample narrowed down to persons reading/participating in their sports web forums and further narrowed to the people who would click on your survey and even further by those finishing it.

Every sports forum out there gets one of these surveys per month. Do it better and you’ll get cooperation and a more meaningful study – not just a grade.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

I wonder why these researchers are so hell-bent on figuring out what makes us tick? Do they envy us? Do they think we're crazy and therefore need psychoanalysis to dissuade us from our path in life?

Maybe they should do some research on couch potatoes and find out why they want to spend their life watching TV and never going out and doing anything. What make those guys tick the way they do?

P.S - I've not seen one of your touring blogs for a while. Now that the weather is improving, is that likely to change?

If so, where do you have planned?

I love reading your travelogues.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Maybe they should do some research on couch potatoes and find out why they want to spend their life watching TV and never going out and doing anything. What make those guys tick the way they do?

Funny, I am a couch potato, and a skydiver, just got my scuba diver license, rigger and hopefully soon, a pilot!

Guess I'm doing it wrong. :D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Funny, I am a couch potato, and a skydiver, just got my scuba diver license, rigger and hopefully soon, a pilot!

Guess I'm doing it wrong. :D

Yer a sweet potato.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I wonder why these researchers are so hell-bent on figuring out what makes us tick? Do they envy us? Do they think we're crazy and therefore need psychoanalysis to dissuade us from our path in life?

Because us risk takers are (according to them) more likely to have criminal tendencies and share similar characteristics to people who end up behind bars...:D

We are prolly easier to access and safer as well, because we get our rocks off on a regular basis...easier than spending time asking Charlie Manson a few questions....

I quite your survey when the dropdown list for Nationality did not include my country.

Apparently, despite the fact that you could almost see Ireland from altitude at Bangor, it does not seem to need to be inlcuded in your survey.

Because us risk takers are (according to them) more likely to have criminal tendencies and share similar characteristics to people who end up behind bars...:D

We are prolly easier to access and safer as well, because we get our rocks off on a regular basis...easier than spending time asking Charlie Manson a few questions....

I did some extensive interviews back in the 70's for a college psych prof that was trying to get published.

That was basically his premise...Not all skydivers are sociopaths, but all sociopaths are skydivers. Some just haven't made the FJC yet.

I was just a lowly college student, but I pointed out - that was pretty fuckin' thin...the same could be said about cops, cabana boys and college professors.

IIRC I was subject #6, 'well adjusted of average intelligence, not goal oriented and with only marginal prospects for success in career & relationships' :o

At the time I was pulling 21 semester hrs. to graduate with a double major, a college athlete working two jobs and had been with the same GF for 4 years...:ph34r:

I don't believe he ever did get published and as I recall he opened a car-wash in town.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

...and as I recall he opened a car-wash in town.

So did he have an explanation as to what personality types did that?. And more important, did he give you a few freebies for wasting your time earlier....;)

I have no friends, so I couldn't complete the survey. Really, what everyone else is saying is true. I was also a social sciences major in school, and a programmer afterwards. It ain't rocket science.:)

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)