mircan

Flour sock (instead of smoke can)

My 1000th is coming soon and I was thinking of jumping an easy 4 way star with some smoke trails.
Searching here, I found that some of you had success with attaching flour filled sock with hole on one end instead of smoke canister.
Does anyone have any pics or more detailed instruction? How to (safely) attach freakin thing to jumper? How much flour and what type of sock?
Thanks.
dudeist skydiver #42

backin the early sixties/late fifties, some guys would attach a 5 lb bag of flour to their leg with duct tape and just slash part of the bag(witha knife or something. im sure the other oldtimers will be able to give you more detail. as i recall tho it doesnt show up as well from the ground as smoke does. just before exit

Hi,

I have done it with 3 kilos of flour. Opened it only under canopy, and it was barley visible from ground. And I had to kick my legs every few seconds, because flour jams hole at the bottom of flour container (plastic milk bottle). So I don't think it would be visible in FF.[:/]

I guess all of the problems could be avoided with soft container (sock). Once you`re at 120mph the flour IS going out.
But if I (over)duct-tape it to the leg would it become more rigid and act as your plastic bottle...?
dudeist skydiver #42

flour in a cardboard tube could work.

don't be cheap, get some smoke :P

I`m trying but it`s not easy where I live... :S

...and there is that standard problem with the heat and mounts...

The plus is, that if I go cheap on the smoke, more money will be left for :D:D:D
dudeist skydiver #42

don't be cheap, get some smoke :P

I`m trying but it`s not easy where I live... :S
The plus is, that if I go cheap on the smoke, more money will be left for :D:D:Dno possibility to approach some military people ? :o
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

no possibility to approach some military people ? :o

Doing it as we speak. :P We`ll see...

Problem with regular pyro-stores is that I`m not sure if the stuff that is sold to general population is good enough for freefall.
OTOH if the sock filled with flour is good enough...
dudeist skydiver #42

You take a 5 pound bag of flour, the kind that comes in the fairly heavy paper bags.

You cut the top closing ear off at a 45 degree angle so there is about a 2 inch hole.

Close that hole with tape and use two rows only of gaffers tape or duct tape to attach it to you leg, hole at the bottom.

IN FREEFALL pull the tape covering the hole, it kicks back into the plane in you do that on the step.

Works fairly well and is a WHOLE lot cheaper and safer than smoke.

Two things~
Don't set it up until you are about to use it, keeps the flour dry and no clumps form.

Don't use it on really hot & humid days...it will be raining Biscuits for hours! :D:D

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

another simple thing that will leave a white trail is talcum powder. Large size can with twist open shake out top, drill a few holes in the base , cover the holes with duct tape and double over one end to form a tab to tear off. Tape to foot/ankle. Just before exit twist top open and tear of the tab.
regards, Steve
the older I get...the better I was

Back in the day, jumping rounds, we would put flour & toilet paper or newspaper in the pack job so that it would. "explode" at opening when you are closer to the crowd. It would look pretty good. Flour will not be very visible at altitude. Smoke should be better.

Hey my friends! I got my hands on some small, but military grade, smoke canisters. Battery ignited. So we`ll try with this tomorrow. ;)

Anyhow, if we don`t come with solution for mounting them, I`ll go to the nearest supermarket and get whatever I can find first. Twardo`s 5lbs bag of flour or a can with some talk powder.
You have been very helpful. I hope that someone will take at least one good photo to post :P

dudeist skydiver #42