rdufokker

What will 300 grocery bags jumped out of a balloon do?

here's what happens when you jump out with one grocery bag.

http://www.youtube.com/...ture=player_embedded

Good vid but the idiot at the end drug his canopy halfway across the landing area:S
Look out for the freefly team, Smelly Peppers. Once we get a couple years more experience we will be a force to be reckoned with in the near future! BLUES!

here's what happens when you jump out with one grocery bag.

http://www.youtube.com/...ture=player_embedded

Good vid but the idiot at the end drug his canopy halfway across the landing area:S

He drug it like 5 ft, cry me a river! They were filming. Besides Chet can afford a new one.....
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

He drug it like 5 ft, cry me a river! They were filming. Besides Chet can afford a new one.....

If thats your mentality than i would strongly urge no one to purchase gear used gear from you! :)
Look out for the freefly team, Smelly Peppers. Once we get a couple years more experience we will be a force to be reckoned with in the near future! BLUES!

So I need 300 African Swallows?

@Heavydud...I'm using double F thread, it has a 22lb break strength. Tied 5' line to each handle. Two bags(4 lines) tied to one 12' line. This equals 75 lines to each riser side.

I just hope the weather cooperates for Friday afternoon.

BS

The real question is, "How many lines of Coke, before getting this idea?"B|

So the video will be up in a few days, but the short of it is one riser let go and the bags on the good riser worked very well. Only 2 bags blew off, so the thread and bags seem to be strong enough. The packing technique is the problem, but I have another idea. So, give me a month and will try it again.

As far as the poll went, it partially opened and I hauled ass toward Earth. But it was fun.

BS
Irony: "the History and Trivia section hijacked by the D.B. Cooper thread"

So the video will be up in a few days, but the short of it is one riser let go and the bags on the good riser worked very well. Only 2 bags blew off, so the thread and bags seem to be strong enough. The packing technique is the problem, but I have another idea. So, give me a month and will try it again.

As far as the poll went, it partially opened and I hauled ass toward Earth. But it was fun.

BS

HA. looking forward to seeing this

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

BS

It seems like this issue would have been resolved
in round canopy development.

Otherwise, high speed round deployment (like aircraft ejection)
would stress the lines and canopy too much immediately.

Rounds "squid" and flatten for a moment during the
time the drag decelerates the jumper.

A conversation with a rigger who works with rounds may
be a good direction.

Did you happen to see how long I've been jumping. I was a rigger over 30 years ago. I'm very familiar with rounds. The problem with my jump was a three ring fired and went up and knotted a lot of the bags. The ones that opened had no problem with lines breaking or bags busting. But we were'nt sure how fast many small parachutes would open vs. one big round. We will try this again soon.

I had the wild pleasure of riding up and down the taxiway in the back of Bob Favreau's pick-up with Bobby Grey and Mike Barber. I was watching them try different reefing systems for Booth's Glad Bag try. They had already determined that the bags would open quickly by just deploying a few on a windy day standing on the ramp. (We also spent time testing pilot chutes made entirely of rip-stop with all sorts of different shaped holes in the lower surface.) The bags opened incredibly quickly and remained inflated just fine. I think Bill's reluctance to withstand that opening shock killed his enthusiasm.

Jeez! The crazy things dreamed up on windy days!!!

jon

Did you happen to see how long I've been jumping. I was a rigger over 30 years ago. I'm very familiar with rounds. The problem with my jump was a three ring fired and went up and knotted a lot of the bags. The ones that opened had no problem with lines breaking or bags busting. But we were'nt sure how fast many small parachutes would open vs. one big round. We will try this again soon.

I jumped with 4 people last weekend with 30+ years in sport and no rigger ticket. Read your profile, didn't see rigger, you won't see psychic in mine.

I was trying to visualize how the issue evolved.
Sounds like you have it covered. Good luck.

Sorry, after re-reading, seemed like I jumped on you, meant it to be a little more light hearted. I'm old. But we have resolved a lot of the problems and will try again in a month. It seems to stress my wife out when we're trying to sell the house and have grocery bags with string hanging all around the living room. Women! go figure!!

Also, the reason you don't see rigger in my profile is that I haven't kept it up for over 25 years so don't consider myself up to date.

BS

... It seems to stress my wife out when we're trying to sell the house and have grocery bags with string hanging all around the living room. Women! go figure!!...

Where are her priorities?

What is more important? Selling the house or finding out the answer to a truly, deeply, seriously important question that has troubled man for ages:P

Dave Barry once summed up the difference between men and women with the definition of "Stuff That Guys Do":

"These are activities that, when you describe them to a group containing both males and females, provoke two very different reactions:

Male Reaction: "Cool!"

Female Reaction: "Why!?!?"

The answer, of course is: Because guys like to do stuff. This explains both the Space Shuttle and mailbox baseball"

This definition was in a piece about the worlds largest rubber band powered airplane (big enough to carry a man).B|

Not quite as cool as shopping bag parachuting, but close.:P

I seem to recall trying to use plastic grocery bags as a drag chute behind my bicycle as a kid. IIRC, it didn't work. Probably because I couldn't go fast enough for it to open:$
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo