ridestrong

Coach Jumps Now Required Until 'A' License

One of the things I personally like is I get to jump with several different coaches and each one teaches me something new but is consistant with the other coaches teachings.

This is really pleasing to hear. Consistency from one Coach to another has always been an issue of sorts to many people, both students AND instructors.

Two schools of thought:
- same instructors, same info
- different instructors different info.
Since there is more than one way to skin a cat, so to speak, there are pros and cons about each approach.

I am appreciative that I am learning this from a coach and not from a well meaning "experienced" jumper that may or may not be giving me the correct instruction.

First, I'm super happy that you are getting what you need in the way of instruction. That, my friend, is just great.

However, I must say, don't be too quick to discount those "experienced" jumpers.

Most, if not all, of the experienced guys have been around the sport and know much more than the Coaches do in both knowledge AND skills. Simply looking at the requirements to obtain a Coach rating and you'll see that there's not much experience required.

Please don't assume that I am discrediting your Coaches. I am simply saying that those experienced jumpers can add a lot to your training, too.

On top of that, it would be a good idea to solicit those experienced guys. You won't be jumping with Coaches and Instructors forever and those experienced guys will be the ones that take you under their wing for more real-world help.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

There's just nothing more glorious than self-supervised solos fresh after getting off student status.

Tell ya what...one of my most memorable jumps was that first solo...all by myself after the AFF program.

(the S/L training was a totally different world as far as confidence-building was concerned for me.)

I suffered severe performance anxiety where it didn't matter how well I performed on any one jump, it was not perfect in my mind and therefore not good enough.
(I was really hard on myself)

So, my jump, I did nothing. Just stepped off and floated...looking/gawking at the wonderful view that God gave us that I never got to see in training. THAT was the jump that made the decision for me that said, "Yes, you did the right thing coming back to skydiving."

Pops, I apologize for not being clear with my "experienced" comment. I have to remember that just because I know what I mean, others may not. I put the "experienced" in quotes as a form of sarcasm. The people I meant are the 50 jump Sky Gods who know everything and love to tell you about it. The truly experienced folks in this sport have my respect and admiration, and I always listen when they speak up (kinda like that old EF Hutton commercial). I have a friend who has been jumping since the 60's with several thousand jumps. If I have a question I usually run it by him as a double check. He always gives me a no BS answer.
Loved your story of your first solo after AFF. I did the exact same thing. Went out got stable on my belly and just enjoyed the flying, the view, and the absolute peace. At pull altitude I calmly waved and pulled then had a great canopy ride down. That ride did it for me also. Now I can not get enough.
Blue Skys

OK! And I agree with you 100%.

My jumpmaster/mentor when I first started "back in the day" was a 100-jump wonder skygod.
:D:D:D

My brother...the a** that has cost me more money spent on skydiving than I want to think about.
:D:D:D

I can't believe he let me jump out of a DC3 wearing that POS military surplus gear.
:o:S