Rover

More Gropro footage - be careful out there!

If I told someone off the street that someone got killed by a camera on a skydive causing a malfunction...he died SKYDIVING.

that's because you're talkiing to people with no understanding of the sport, so you have to talk in generalisations.

We're supposed to be experts. We understand there's another level of granularity and understanding, and we look for it.

By your reasoning:

AAD not cutting the reserve loop properly & locking the reserve - DIED SKYDIVING.

Student running into the back of another canopy, killing one, severely injuring another - hey, DIED SKYDIVING!

how about

Inexperienced jumper flying agressive canopy and swooping before receiving adequate training - guess what? DIED SKYDIVING.

... nope. There can't possibly be any lessons to be learnt there.

Whuffos don't understand the nuances - we're supposed to.

Yoink - I agree 100% but I'd just say that the nuances are oftentimes not a first hand accounting of the situation. In this case it's obvious to see what happened but in the analysis of any fatality it's sometimes only possible to speculate and draw conclusions out of thin air.

Not my example but listen - everyday the turkey wakes up and is fed well and it hangs out in the sunshine. On the 400th day it wakes up and is decapitated. On the 405th day you toast happy thanksgiving. What did all the turkeys say about the one you ate? Gobble gobble gobble? That's what this site does quite a bit of but we can use better 'reasoning' and are certainly more articulate than a bunch of turkeys.

Jeff

Freeflyers are the most likely to use soft reserve handles because they are more likely to be out of control when they take a grip on whatever they can. :ph34r:

People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

GoPro line entanglement, paraglider.
http://www.nrk.no/sport/veko/1.7694281

Look horribly uncomfortable. I could only imagine at high speeds how that feels. This is why I will never wear one. I can care less about video or pictures of me jumping, Im about impressing myself, not others. But if I ever wanted any vids, Id hire my local DZ video guy/gal. $40 or so bucks not to have possible lines yanking my head, priceless.

Edit: fix link

It's interesting that it pulled the Go=Pro off, by the looks of things. Mine is just attached using the sticky pad but I know of others who have screwed the attachment on, which I would consider more dangerous.

It's all about risk. The OP incident could have been caused by a camera box, a hand, a foot etc. The Go-Pro is still a camera and a snag point and should be treated with respect. The paraglider collapse and subsequent hook up could have happened on many camera helmets - the ones I dislike and the bolt on brackets, just crying out for an incident. To pick up on another thread is there likely to be a Go-Pro related skydiving fatality? Probably, in the same way there are likely to be camera related fatalities, collision related fatalities etc. Treat the whole sport with respect and remember you have a stupid snag point right on top of your head.

Lastly, the guy on the paraglider would have benefited from a cutaway system...

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

It's interesting that it pulled the Go=Pro off, by the looks of things. Mine is just attached using the sticky pad but I know of others who have screwed the attachment on, which I would consider more dangerous.

The general opinion seems to be that the sticky will tear off or the plastic will break on the mounts. We already know this is a false assumption.
I'd prefer nylon bolts if this is the preferred mounting method.

all I see in this video is the evolution of safety in our sport. With new technology and new norms we must evolve in our thinking. This video is an excellent peice of training and brings to light new things to think about when it comes to small cameras. Gopros and contours and such are new norms in our sport and now we must go through the scenarios and incidents that will shape how we consider this technology when planning jumps. Not sure why people are bent out of shape about this. This is the normal process of discovery that follows any "new" technology. The ghost will slowly reveal themselves over the following years and we will adapt our technique to accomodate them.

More importantly the airplane in the video has a registration of D-FUNK! Now thats awesome!

http://www.skyshotdesign.com/helmets-1/all-hemets-and-camera-mounts/sky-shot-with-carbon-top-mount.html

The above is pretty good solution, and a SLR/Video camera can also be mounted on the top.

On a lighter note, love it how the HD flyer casually puts the reserve handle in his jumpsuit while flying!

------------------------------------------------

"All men can fly, but sadly, only in one direction"