cbuffalino

Crooked Spine Flyin' Fine

So I am a student skydiver currently on my Level 4 AFP jump. For some reason in my last two jumps I have it stuck in my head that I need to continually keep eye contact with my instructor for signals and confirmation that everything is going well. This is causing me to bend my spine in the direction of my instructor which causes us to orbit around each other lazily. It hasn't caused a problem with my jumps, and I know it is just a mental block as I'm looking for some positive reinforcement, but I was wondering if anyone has had this issue/fear during their training and how they overcame it.

When I'm doing my jump it's as if I'm waiting for the instruction or hand signal to do the next maneuver instead of just doing the dive flow by myself. I get everything done but once I get back to the ground I always have the same conversation with the instructor: "dude just do the dive flow, i'm not even there!"

Any advice would help.
Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about.

you just need to get in your head straight that now youre falling by yourself, youve acquired the skills necessary for stable freefall. you are now saving your own life by pulling for yourself. it might take a bit of effort to get over this hump, but pick a spot on the horizon, make sure you have a good neutral position, and continue with your dive flow. if your instructor needs to give you a signal, they will come give you the signal. but in general the signals are helpful while youre just learning how to fall stable because they can see what youre doing wrong better than you can. good body position will come with time, but if they are having the conversation with you like you said, then it should be a note to you that you are able to keep a relatively good body position with out them. so now just focus on doing what you need to do, because its up to you now. but as always, take what you hear here with a grain of salt and first talk with your instructors because this isnt the first time anyone has had this problem. good luck!
"its just a normal day at the dropzone until its not"

Thanks for the advice! In know it's mostly a mental thing and getting used to the new environment. With any luck I'll be jumping tomorrow morning before work so I'll have to get my meditation on and overcome this little nervous hiccup. Thanks again guys and have a safe flight always!
Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about.