sunkenstate

Burning Man 2011 jumps

Anyone have any footage / images from the ground or air of the many jumps made into Black Rock City at Burning Man 2011?

Props to Burning Sky and 88NV crew for making these jumps possible.

Here is a taste from last year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55G8yuGqKl0&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1

Please no flaming about BM in general.

D

:)

flaming about BM in general

Hehe you made a funny :)
Umm I was there in 2006 - 2008 although I couldn't play with BS cause I was working
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

OK. So the highlighted red in your pic is where I worked until 2009 when the company was sold.
It's the Staff eating/shower area that was usually behind the black plastic wrap fence.
For those who have not attended, it is an amazing experience...

The only way to explain its vast culture to my fellow rednecks is, "San Francisco Artists meet Mad Max."
While that doesn't do it justice, it's about the only frame of reference I could use to get close.
So much creativity in one place... from semi truck sculptures to amazing fire dancers with music in the cold desert night...
One year I was there - the guy lit off burning man too early.

Interesting side story... I came in to Playa one year about two weeks early to help setup and check on the crew.
In the middle of the Desert is a guy about my age with a Black Airborne Ranger cap on and short hair (we're like the two standouts on the entire desert. I "think" we were called minorities. :D

Anyway, this guy and I start talking and he's running the fence crew and we knew "of" each other when I was at Bragg.. He had retired as a colonel in the late 90's... We had a great time, meeting for coffee at my tent in the mornings and talking, breakfast, then going out and working all day and rallying up at night. Its a big small world.

EDIT: OK This is pretty coincidental... I just got this in me email... http://burningsky.org/index.php?topic=760.new#new

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Nice! You guys rock. Thanks for posting these. My goal is to jump into BRC next year. 83 jumps to go! [:/]

I was camped with the Lamplighters on 5:30 and Rod's Road around center camp (the big tent that looks like a disc).

Anyone dive their canopies through the big smoke rings getting poofed on Saturday? The whole city started cheering when a couple guys managed to pull it off.

D

Nice! You guys rock. Thanks for posting these. My goal is to jump into BRC next year. 83 jumps to go! [:/]

Even though the minimum is 100 jumps the landing areas are constantly changing and the winds can be tricky and unpredictable and there are constant dust devils. Make sure you are very comfortable with landing your canopy safely and accurately before you jump into burning man.

edit - and don't forget you are landing at 4000 feet MSL
http://www.mixcloud.com/prajna
http://vimeo.com/avidya

Alright, 80 more to go as of this weekend. :)

Your points are well taken. Last year I watched a guy break a leg (or two) due to a bad landing at Burning Man. Not pretty.

A regular at my DZ is of the opinion that 100 is too low a jump number to go into Burning Man; he basically equated it to a demo jump.

Thoughts?

>A regular at my DZ is of the opinion that 100 is too low a jump number to go into
>Burning Man; he basically equated it to a demo jump. Thoughts?

It is. It's also an uncontrolled demo jump; the landing area does not have crowd control. You WILL get cut off on landing at some point and you have to be able to control your canopy well enough to avoid a collision.

At the very least people going should have some demo experience.

>A regular at my DZ is of the opinion that 100 is too low a jump number to go into
>Burning Man; he basically equated it to a demo jump. Thoughts?

It is. It's also an uncontrolled demo jump; the landing area does not have crowd control. You WILL get cut off on landing at some point and you have to be able to control your canopy well enough to avoid a collision.

At the very least people going should have some demo experience.

Don't forget that it's around 4K in altitude, too. That super cool 120 flies a little faster there.