stratostar

People who talk shit (lie) about making jumps

So I was reading an on line newspaper from my old home town yesterday and they had a "question on the street" of random people. The question was: "what is the most adventurous thing you've done?" http://www2.ljworld.com/onthestreet/2011/sep/03/what-most-adventurous-thing-youve-done/#comments

Now there is the public comments section and as I was reading all those fully expecting to read the normal "I did a skydive" post and yes there was those types of posts... But the one that stood out was this one:

riverdrifter (anonymous) says…

I, too did the sky diving thing when I was young. 1299 jumps. The best was when I passed through a swarm of honey bees. What the heck were they doing at 7,000 feet?
September 3, 2011 at 5:32 p.m.

beatrice (anonymous) replies…

Too chicken to make it 1300, huh? : )
1299 jumps is pretty awesome. I can see how people would want to make it a full-time hobby.
September 3, 2011 at 5:39 p.m.

riverdrifter …reply

I don't believe in superstition because I believe it brings bad luck. :(
Broke a bone in my foot on 1298, did one more and went to the Dr. who told me not to jump for 8 months. By then, I'd moved on to the next great thing bass boat.

LOL yea I left it alone but so wanted to say/post something..... a swarm of bees @ 7K, yea right, must be the only guy I've ever heard of in 35 plus years of skydiving experience hitting a swarm of bees in free fall...... I would think that would make national news and be of major interest to those who study bees......;):S:D

I always love hearing some asshat try to tell how they made some jumps in a bar or other setting, "I had a buddy in the army and he took me for some jumps" morons think they can fool the real deal by talking made up shit that is so easy to spot they are talking out their ass.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Some people hold to their lies to the bitter end.

Four or five years ago my wife and I were at a local bar, wearing our local DZ's staff shirts and a whuffo there continued to brag to us about all these different skydives he's done. It was off the wall classic whuffo version of skydives. He kept it up for at least 30 minutes. He said he had completed over 500 jumps and he couldn't tell me the name of any of the DZs he had jumped at.

When he was leaving I offered a discount to the local DZ to do a tandem with me, so he could actually skydive. Though we never saw him again.

Although my wife and I still laugh about that guy when we think of it.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

In college we were doing first day introductions, one of the things was "cool fact about yourself". One guy said that he is a certified skydiver. Of course, I asked him where he jumps - he said he hasn't jumped in a bit, but when he did he was jumping in Missouri. He couldn't name the place or recall what kind of gear he was using (keep in mind this is a guy in his early 20s, so there could not have been that much time passed). I invited him to come out and make some jumps at local DZs, but he never took me on the offer. Funny, he also has never mentioned skydiving in class or to me again.

I bet it was the case of someone doing a tandem and getting a first jump certificate :)

At a party recently someone told a guy there that I skydive and the dude tells me yeah I tried skydiving it was ok . So I proceeded to say well it gets better when you get to fly on your own, not tandem. He proceeds to tell me he didn't do. Tandem they made him watch like a 2 hour video and just let him jump. I asked if he did a static line he had no idea what I was talking about and said no I went up and just jumped out with a bunch of other people . At this point I realized this knucklehead wasn't worth wasting my breath so I just said cool and walked away. I explained to my buddies later that the dude was totally full of shit.
Wait , I pull what first?

Sometimes I like to egg them on with "wow!, whoa!, really?, holy smokes!", etc. Let's see just how far this guy will go with this. Sometimes I don't bother.

I had one who sounded like a whuffo at the outset only to turn out to have jumped for real many many years prior and we ended up having some mutual acquaintances.

jon

PS) However, I do find them entertaining as their stories get better & better. :P

I would think thanks to the invention of youtube armchair jumpers now have a huge collection of experiences to misunderstand then regurgitate later.
My skydiving - http://unstable-exits.blogspot.com/

My ex-wife and I used to work in the same company right after I started jumping.

One morning, she calls me from her desk in the accounting department, and whispers into the phone "you need to get down here right now.. there's a guy over in contracts who did a tandem over the weekend and he's so full of shit its not even funny!"

So I go bombing down to the contracts section next to where she worked, and one of the young bucks is repeating the story for like the 10th time. He's regaling everybody with stories about how the "tandem guy" passed out and he "saved our lives" and they were so close to the ground when the parachute actually opened and all this other shit.

So I pipe up with "oh, man, that's cool... where'd you jump at?"

He names the DZ I'm jumping at.

"Oh, sweet. So you went with a guy, like you know, that tandem thing and all?"

"Yeah! I had to save our lives, him and I"

"Wow, what was the guy's name?"

He rattles off the name of our head instructor and tandem guy.

I hold up my hand about shoulder level.

"A short guy, 'bout this high, with a beard?"

"Uhhh, yeah.."

"Funny, I talked to him on Sunday while I was out making some jumps and he didn't mention anything about almost going in and having his passenger have to pull for him or anything like that."

Suddenly the guy looks at his watch "Oh, wow, I guess coffee break is over!"

EDIT: BTW, a more problematic issue is the people who leave you DZ in November with one number of jumps and return in the spring with some gigantic additional number of jumps that they could only have gotten if they jumped 5-7 times a day, every day, in the interim. And they don't produce a logbook because "I quite keeping a log years ago."
NIN
D-19617, AFF-I '19

Once had a guy who worked across the hall from me tell me he tried skydiving and it was "okay" not really his thing. When I asked him if he did a tandem or SL/AFF he said neither. He continued to tell me that he jumped in the military and so the DZ let him do whatever he wanted. I asked him how the military trained him and he said he didnt remember. I asked him what his WL was with all the gear on and what size canopy's they were using and he restated he didnt remember. Caught in his own lie...

Also had this girl I worked with tell me her uncle was addicted to skydiving so bad he is handbuilding a plane so he can jump anywhere. I didnt call her out on it because of work but I wanted to ask her what that has to do with skydiving and how it would get back to the ground after he jumped.

Sometimes I like to egg them on with "wow!, whoa!, really?, holy smokes!", etc. Let's see just how far this guy will go with this. Sometimes I don't bother.

jon

Yeah its great to lead them deeper and deeper into a trap with a bit of gentle encouragement and a look of awe on your face, even better with an audience. Then to finish them off with "you are full of shit"!!!, and watch them slink off. Great fun.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

it can work the other way too... i worked with a guy who doubted that i actually jumped. At the time i knew him i had over 20 jumps, and he caught me changing my numbers one time because i included my 4 hop n pops (for a total of 24) and the other time i didn't (20). right away he thought he caught me in a lie and tried to call me on it. His words exactly: "haha you're lying". After my trip i came back and was showing everybody a coached video jump on my laptop. Of course his comment was "that doesn't even look like you".

Yeah, there are really people like that... so make sure you always give someone the benefit of the doubt until you're 100% sure they're full of shit.

Amen.
Actually I kinda feel sorry for the people that are so pathetic they have to make up bullshit stories about how they were/are jumpers . I guess they have no idea how easy they are to spot to a real skydiver....
On the other hand I think its kinda funny (in a sad way) that they have to make up jump stories when pretty much anyone can actually make a tandem jump these days.
And I do find it amusing how many people that think we are crazy brave or are adrenaline junkies...

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

>Yeah its great to lead them deeper . . .

>Sometimes I like to egg them on . . .

Geez, who really cares? Generally not worth spending time on them.

Hi BV

+1

For whatever reason some people like to present themselves for what they their not. Some do it to impress the women or their friends, or their own ego or peers jobs.

Special ops, Ranger tabs, Dr's, lawyers, LEO's etc etc. :S

R.I.P.

Mi
One Jump Wonder

EDIT: BTW, a more problematic issue is the people who leave you DZ in November with one number of jumps and return in the spring with some gigantic additional number of jumps that they could only have gotten if they jumped 5-7 times a day, every day, in the interim. And they don't produce a logbook because "I quite keeping a log years ago."

There are a lot more of these guys than you might think. They always have more jumps than most and they always have given up on logbooks long ago. I log mine & just can't seem to keep up.

Amen.
Actually I kinda feel sorry for the people that are so pathetic they have to make up bullshit stories about how they were/are jumpers.

Actually, I think these threads (and there are many of them!) speak volumes about our insecurities ;).

Why do we get so wound up about people masquerading as skydivers? I think it's because they're trying to clamber onto the pedestal with us, the Elite Of Humanity. And if they can pass themselves off as our peers - then what's left that makes us look special? :P

A couple of years ago, the owner of the company I worked for, who is one of those that openly claims he "Would NEVER jump out of a perfectly good airplane", calls me and tells me that "Well, I guess you are gonna be taking me skydiving",,
I was baffled as to why he would change his mind like that, then I asked why, he said he was dating a girl who "Is a skydiver", I asked who she was, he told me, and I had no idea who she was, but that's no issue since there's jumpers everywhere and we can't know them all, so, a couple of weeks later, we had a staff meeting in which she was present, I asked her how many jumps she has, she said 6, so I asked her where she jumped at, she stated that she jumps "right here in Ridgetop",
I said "Really?, where? I wanna jump there",
She said "at the airport",
I said WOW! Here at the Ridgetop airport?"
She said "Yeah",
I said "Well, there's a problem, Ridgetop does not have any airports", (Ridgetop is a one red light town north of Nashville, Tn),
she then said "Oh, uhh, it is a private airport",
Again, being that there is no airports, or private strips in Ridgetop, I'm seeing the bullshit.
So I asked her her how high she went, she said "Pretty high",
I asked, how many people jumped when she jumped, she said "just me",
I asked, On your first jump?, she said yeah.
So after a long list of simple questions about jumping that anyone who has really jumped would know, and explaining that if there had been any jumps in the Ridgetop and immediate surrounding areas, I would most likely would have known about them and would have been demo's and I would have very possibly been the one of the jumpers who did it, so, I finally called Bullshit and even after blasting her with the truth about jumping and where she would/could have jumped, she still swore that she jumped at this mysterious nonexistent place in Ridgetop. She almost sounded like a slyride sales person, or would make a good one.
This is the same bitch that also claims to have been a Cowboys Cheerleader and a New York runway model, but can't produce any photographic or video proof of any of this.
Refuse to Lose!!!
Failure is NOT an option!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org

Why do we get so wound up about people masquerading as skydivers? I think it's because they're trying to clamber onto the pedestal with us, the Elite Of Humanity. And if they can pass themselves off as our peers - then what's left that makes us look special? :P

I was thinking the same thing.

It's the same insecurity that leads to all the bashing of other jumpers for being "idiots" in so many other threads.

I could care less, I find it funny at the level of stupid shit they will dream up to try to sound real.... like hitting a swarm of bees @ 7K..... that is a first in the world as far as I can tell and I would think it would have the interest of the people who study bees, is this some kind of super bee swarm, sent from China to kill our bees to get all the bee work to China or was it a weird up draft of wind.... what?

That is important info to get out to everyone, really skydivers might get killed if we don't educate about these rouge swarms of bees buzzing round and trying to dock in freefall.....
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo