skydave114

Just Me and My nylon!

Did a solo wingsuit flight saturday. Discovered after takeoff that my Neptune battery was dead. Oh, well. I took it off and stuck it in my pocket. Then I jumped out the plane, just me and my nylon. And it was good!
No helmet, no gadgets, no beepers, buzzers, dials, and no reserve-loop-cutter. I started laughing in mid flight, thinking about how many DZ's would ground me for this, and how many on this DZ would give me shit if they knew. :):)

Frankly, don't impress me much until you:
- jump a WWII round canopy and
- fly with Gypsie Moths style Batman wings
If ya wanna be DA MAN ya gotta go back to the very basics.
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

No intention, have never even considered jumping without an AAD or an altimeter or without a helmet (or at least a frap hat). These are things that have proven they've done faaaaar more good than bad and thus I consider them useful safety-improving gear. I made checking my gear a ritual, never ever step out of the hangar without my leg/chest straps fastened, alti mounted etc pp. There may be cases a skydiver accidentally forgets their alti - they can then take the spare one we have in the plane.

BOT: I was just being consequent regarding your thoughts. :P Never mind, though.

The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

No helmet, no gadgets, no beepers, buzzers, dials, and no reserve-loop-cutter. I started laughing in mid flight, thinking about how many DZ's would ground me for this, and how many on this DZ would give me shit if they knew. :):)

Gosh, it's a miracle that you survived without all those mechanical and electronic gizmos!

I am planning a return to the sport after 31 years. I guess it's a matter of perspective. We had sort of reliable AOD's, but they were not in common use except for students, and not yet really adapted to piggyback rigs. We had mechanical altimeters, but they were not mandatory. Like a lot of sports, I think safety issues can be addressed with technology, but a safe attitude is better if well ensconced between your ears. My car airbags will likely work but it's better to avoid the collision and not need them, I'd say.

Geez...the DZ and the JM (my brother) must have really hated me. I never did get to use an altimeter for S/L and subsequent jumps in that ragged out, patched up POS T-10. I got good at counting seconds, though. I got good at seeing what deployment time looked like.
[:/]

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239