Bluey10

Financial Viability

I admit that's it's difficult to put exact figures on such things, but the 'minimum' number of jumps per year to stay safe seems to be a contentious point. Personally, I would struggle to afford any more than around 30-40 jumps per year tops under present circumstances. Would many argue that this is a dangerously low number for a new jumper?

I admit that's it's difficult to put exact figures on such things, but the 'minimum' number of jumps per year to stay safe seems to be a contentious point. Personally, I would struggle to afford any more than around 30-40 jumps per year tops under present circumstances. Would many argue that this is a dangerously low number for a new jumper?

Some would some wouldn't.

I'd say "It depends" :)

Small group belly flying, doing relatively simple stuff?
Sure.

Bigways, freeflying, advanced canopy piloting?
No way.

I've averaged less than 50 jumps per year. Work schedule, weather, living in Wisconsin, all that.

My skills aren't where I wish they were, nor where they would be if I was able to jump more.

But I keep it small and keep it simple.

And I know my limitations and do what I need to do to keep it safe.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

You never were good at reading comprehension, were you.

"Nobody says you have to do or pay for anything. Nobody is going to tell you you can't jump unless you pay for advanced training of any sort. Not even "realistically."

No, it's your reading comprehension that is faulty. The OP was talking about whether he would realistically want to progress fairly quickly onto jumping with other people, either in FS or FF, and the need for advanced training in that eventuality.

If it is your position that, realistically, a normal new skydiver who does continue jumping beyond A'licence is going to be happy doing flat solos for ever more and will not want to progress into any form of group skydiving, then you are insane.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Jakee isn't it true that you can do a 2 way without the FS1 sticker?

My understanding is that in the UK on a 4 way you can have a maximum of 1 non FS1 jumper? I haven't jumped in the UK so while this may be theoretically true in practice you might not be able to.

Off the top of my head I remember an interesting thread on UKS a year or two ago about a 'clarification' of the BPA rule (sent out to CCIs) on pre FS1 jumping, the upshot of which was that anything the Ops manual says you can do with other jumpers, you can only actually do with a coach and in direct pursuance of an FS1. Which isn't actually what the Ops Manual says, but that's OK because the STC Chair has unilateral authority to say the words in the Ops Manual mean whatever he damn well wants them to mean.

Or something like that. And whether CCIs actually remember/ take note of that clarification is another matter again:D
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Don't know your age and willingness. However these tips may help.
Don't go to the DZ every weekend. Go there with a bang, and do as many jumps possible for that weekend. This way, your first jump will be remmebering how to fly, and then the next you can progress with. Maybe every 3rd weekend or so, not too long.
Start packing, soon you will be able to have an extra jump for the weekend. You will also get loads of good advice while packing with your ears open.
For the rest, the more you jump the better. I would recommend, set down a budget to get all the gear. Then, calculate monthly cost, including yearly fees and reserve packjobs. Start with say 3 jumps, work it up to 10 jumps, total cost. Now, you should have a figure that you relate to considering your income. Then you will realise, why most of us have old cars, and alsways thinking of ways to make more money/jumps.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.