waveoff5500

Progression of a sport

The other guys are right, breaking through boundries in skydiving ends up with dead bodies.

I'll add that pushing the boundaries may or may not add a lot of extra risk, depending on the type of boundaries.

Certainly there is more risk when one is starts playing close to the ground (BASE proximity flying). There was extra risk for those pioneering skysurfing, and there is for those doing CRW on smaller and smaller canopies (sub 100 crossbraced).

But if you have a better 4 way training system, your risk doesn't go up much. RW jumpers have had to add full face helmets in the last 20 years, but there hasn't been a big increase in risk despite much higher point totals in competition. VRW has added risks due to quickly varying drag from different body positions, but still that aspect of the sport has advanced greatly without a lot of carnage.

That's all just to say that depending on how you define "boundaries", there are also some ways of advancing the sport that don't leave a trail of bodies -- even if it may be unavoidable in other areas.

so ian drennan, shannon pilcher or brian vacher are screwups, idiots or black marks on the sport!? interesting.

They must have downsized too quickly! :)

what would be interesting to know, how many times have they hurt themselves when they were still "joe average jumper"; i bet they were not born into the top of the sport.
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

what would be interesting to know, how many times have they hurt themselves when they were still "joe average jumper"; i bet they were not born into the top of the sport.

Due the fact that they made it to the “top of the sport” I would guess that they used more common sense then we are seeing from “joe average jumper” today.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals