TKoontz

Getting my peers to jump?

It's the same story every time, "Oh man that sounds so fun, I've always wanted to!....how much does it cost?"

And that's where it ends almost every time.

No getting around it, this sport is an investment. I gave up pretty much everything else I used to do sports-wise to be able to afford (both in $$ and time) this.

For perspective, I, and most of the people I invite out are 18-21, minimum-wage, college students. In between paying for and actually attending classes, it's easy to see how this sport can be a challenge to enter. After a weekend of jumping even top ramen starts to look fancy :(

So are there some ways to bridge this monetary gap? Most of these people are realistically going to do a tandem and not come back. Packing to earn money is pretty unlikely in this case, but what about those few that really jive with the sport? What are some ways to entice them coming out to the DZ and getting into the culture, knowing that they probably won't be jumping for some time to come?
Find your peace, though the world around you burns

So are there some ways to bridge this monetary gap?

Not really.

I started jumping when I was 20 and in college. The first year my jump tempo was really slow, but then I cut back on my "real world" activities and focused more on skydiving. I also started packing on the weekends to pay for jumps.

If it is something that someone really wants to do, they will find a way to make it happen. You will never be able to convince someone that it is something they want to do. It is totally up to them.

Buy a case of beer, go to the DZ and hang out with your new skydiver friends.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

If it's just money, they can do what most college students do - tell their parents they've been hit with an unexpected "lab fee".
Seriously, all you can do is offer the suggestion. If they do a tandem and like it, they can take the next step, but you can't do it for them. In fact, dropzones really don't need skydivers who are there because someone else wants them to be there.
One option to get your buddies to come play with you might be a trip to a wind tunnel. Less expensive, less frightening, very fun.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

I don't think it's financial all the time. I get that same response from people who make a lot! I actually get tired of people asking about it because it always ends the same way 95% of the time. When they say "I always wanted to do that" Now I just say.."Whatever" or "Then do it". When people find out how easy it is today to make a jump they always fall back on the cost as a way out. I have more respect for people who say that they couldn't do that. But the cost does stop a lot of legit people too.

its pretty tough sometimes, most of them dont get why you cant hang out when its sunny and nice out, and youre trying to arrange plans to hang out when you know youre actually gonna be jumping all day/eating after the day is done. especially in ohio when we only have a certain amount of time to jump before the snow comes haha. but youll see that you will grow close with people from your dropzone and do other activities with them than just jumping. no need to get all your friends into skydiving because most likely it wont happen.
"its just a normal day at the dropzone until its not"

Your peers already jump! ;)

very true, maybe when my perpetually ground-shackled friends get bored of spending money to put fart cans on their accords and dropping $800 on subwoofers they'll have the disposable income and desire to try it?

The DZ that I am a part of running finances getting into skydiving for people. When you have a winter that you can't jump, it's easier to just do the class, the jumps and get your license and think about paying it off over winter when there isn't much other jumping going on.

We don't charge anything either, but the person needs to be regularly jumping with us, have a job and a credit card. They have to have mad an AFF jump too. This program has created a lot of skydivers.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Don't spend any time getting people who are not really interested in jumping to jump. It is a waste of your time and energy.

I say this as somebody who has had ~40 people come and do tandems at my DZ in the two years I've been there. If they want to go, they will find the money.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

>but what about those few that really jive with the sport?

Well, you never know who's going to "jive" until they jump for the first time.

I'd suggest having an event at the DZ (a party, a "watch Maria do a tandem" day, whatever) and inviting a bunch of your friends who seem interested. They'll talk to skydivers, see some jumps, watch some videos, hear a lot of Skydiving Tales of Terror - and from there might decide to plunk down the money for a first jump course. When I started I was right out of college and had no money, but I still came up with the $150 for the SL first jump course - and then packed parachutes for the next year to pay for my next 50 jumps.

I'd also suggest that if they don't want to - don't try to talk them into it. Skydiving is a dangerous sport, and it is definitely not for everyone. If skydiving isn't worth it to them unless somebody convinces them, then it's not worth it to them.

Don't spend any time getting people who are not really interested in jumping to jump. It is a waste of your time and energy.

I'm a new jumper who got into this sport rather late (I'm in my 40s). It never occurred to be earlier that I'd be doing this. If, years earlier, a skydiving pal had cajoled or nagged me to try it, I can see myself saying "no thanks!" and getting annoyed if they kept it up. I might have even told him where he could pack his #$!! parachute.:o
The only person who could convince me to try it was, well, me.
My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.

What are some ways to entice them coming out to the DZ and getting into the culture, knowing that they probably won't be jumping for some time to come?

Do you want that for your friends, or do you want it for yourself? If I were in their shoes, it would frustrate me to no end to have to watch others having all the fun in a sport that was cost-prohibitive for me.

Skydiving has stirred something in your soul. Your whuffo friends can't fully understand that, but the other jumpers at your DZ can. You might befefit more from developing stronger bonds with those who are able to make the same commitment as you.

My $0.02? When I started jumping. I wanted to share what I'd found w/others. I mentioned it to my racing friends. I've about thirty friends I kart race with. I heard a lot of the usual responses like you do (Wow! I've always wanted to! Let's do it sometime...). These guys are young, aggressive, & most of 'em have money. How many of my racing friends actually took me up on the offer when I posted the info on our board? ZERO... Not one of them stepped up.

Always wanting to jump is one thing. Having to actually face your fears (& potential failure of mastering them) is quite another. Now, I make it known that I jump. If someone wants to know more? They'll find me. Pushing friends to jump will only cost you friends, IMHO.

I personally wouldn't/don't try to get anyone to make a jump. If they got hurt or worse I would feel partially guilty for encouraging them.

I have a few friends that do hard drugs moderately. They never pressure me to do them with them (because I wont), they know if I wanted to I would ask. If they kept asking me to do it with them, I wouldn't be their friend. Don't annoy your friends with what they're not interested in.

My girlfriend talks about making a jump, I tried to talk her out of it. Hypocritical, yes, just informed her of the risk. If she wants to jump it's her own decision. She hangs out sometimes at the DZ with me, introduced her to the instructor I highly respect that I would feel comfortable with her up there. No other pushing or encouraging to do it.

People get into jumping because they want to. I wanted to jump since elementary school (jumped off bleachers belly first and broke my middle finger in the 3rd grade after watching people flying on TV). I was always a poor white boy to afford it. Now I can:ph34r:

Your friends know what you do, if they're interested, they know someone to go with.

Good quote, I notice a lot of people telling me to try and pressure them into it, and that's something I strictly avoid doing. I looked at my original post and tell it didn't look that way though.

If someone expresses interest, I have a rule of two. I'll tell them about my next trip a week in advance, if for some reason other than, 'I don't wanna' comes up, I'll offer a second time a month or two later. Past that, it's up to them to find me.

Many of my friends are into sports like this with me like rock cl;imbing, downhill mtn biking, street bikes, etc. so it seemed like a natural progression point for me. I've definitely found something special in the sport and I would enjoy sharing it with others, but I def try not to push or badger anyone into it, that would not end well.

Lots of good advice though, thank you all for the input