KevinMcguire89

Shenanigans ? Packing/packers issue

Shenanigans ?

Is my drop zone taking the pish?

Simply I couldn't (past tense) pack. That was 9 months ago.

114 pack jobs later.... of which some were bad (as in not jumped) but most were jumped by me.

Today I can pack, to the extent that the packers don't watch me nor do they even bother to check the pack job over. It goes right into the packing room, no checks nothing at which they sign the check ticket to say that THEY packed it. Claiming the repack fee of $8 each time.

I'm constantly told to keep on packing and soon I will get my packing cert. It has gotten to the point where I'm thought to be good enough and they promise to sign me off. They then renege on this and tell me again if you pack a few more we'll sign you off. This reneging has happened 3 times and I'm starting to feel used.

My thoughts are.... if they aren't watching me pack at all how come I'm not considered good enough?

105 pack jobs I have done have all opened fine (the first 9 were not jumped) and there have been no problems no cut aways, no reserve rides.

So is my DZ taking the piss? In that if they will jump them and not check them then surely it is good enough? I keep thinking this week will be the week i get signed off... this week this thinking has turned into about 7 months now and I'm getting deeply suspicious they are pumping me for money in doing this as everybody thinks I'm rich on the DZ because I run a (loss making) business of my own.

I've packed in front of another packer at another DZ and they can't see anything wrong with my packing.

Your thoughts?

:|

WHAT the hell is "a packing certificate" ??? i haven't ever heard of such a thing...
There might now be some some sort of "getting signed off" deal , regarding packing ability...... for the A License.
But that should be accomplished within the first couple of dozen pack jobs.......right??;)

anyway,,,
curious, as to where you are located...( not specific dz... just generally )

ps. who has the rigger rating needed, to supervise the packers??

jmy
A 3914
D12122

Unfortunately it is true, whenever I've kicked up a minor fuss about it about going to another DZ, something usually pops up to make me stay and get suckered again. They were making me jump 340sqft canopies..... because I wasn't 'good enough'.... my own kit is a 170 which only puts me at 0.8 wing loading. So I had to rent their kit constantly. I only started to get suspicious when a few visiting instructors were asking me why I was jumping such a massive canopy.... funnily enough immediately after I was put down to a 190.

3 months ago it was five more and we'll sign you off right now. There were only four to do that day.... the next week it was as if the conversation didn't happen. two months ago same thing, I suppose I keep convincing myself today is the day...

today is the day...

My problem is that the next DZ is 160 miles away and gas costs a packet to get there and I can't spend 3 hours driving to an alternative DZ and 4 hours to get back.

Its a non American Drop zone, which is not USPA,, whereby to get anything more than an A cert you need to be certified to pack

You are being screwed and were is the dropzone? I have a feeling I know were it is

Hi Kev,
Sorry to hear. From the sounds of your post it seems that you are not in the U.S. If you were, I'd say screw them, find a Rigger examiner designee and go for your FAA Senior riggers ticket. Here the FAA only requires 20 packjobs of one type (Chest, Back and/or Seat) to get your senior rating. Keep us posted on your progress.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Your use of the word "pish" makes me think you are Scottish, so maybe also in Scotland. Who is it who is giving you the run around, packer, chief packer, rigger, instructor, CCI?
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Skydiving has a very small community in this country, the total number of jumpers is less than 7000. Therefore DZs are extremely territorial and anything bad said about them tends to get around quite quickly due to the small community.

If I mention the country and the DZ then it is quite possible to be blacklisted. 2 people received bans merely for organizing trips to other DZs

Its the packers. The CCI is OK, there is no rigger, the instructors are also OK.

As said I kept fooling myself today is the day.... I thought that two Saturdays ago and after asking outright when can I get signed off, I was told soon.... and yet I think I've had enough of it. I'm pretty sure the DZO doesn't care as the packing fee goes to the packers anyway. But it means I have to keep on renting their kit....... :(

does the packing certificate in the UK still include a test?
when a rig is intentionally entangled maybe also cutaway depending how evil the instructor is lol
and has to be corrected and packed being checked all the time by an instructor?

when a rig is intentionally entangled maybe also cutaway depending how evil the instructor is lol

That would be effin awesome if we started to do it here in the US... I've helped several (some well over 200 jumps) untangle a simple problem or two with their canopies (not even cutaways, just landed and walked thru a line or two)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

That would be effin awesome if we started to do it here in the US... I've helped several (some well over 200 jumps) untangle a simple problem or two with their canopies (not even cutaways, just landed and walked thru a line or two)

We have a packing test here in OZ, :):ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

never realised there wasnt a test as such over here.
got my D licence years ago in the UK so never knew,
just got the SIM and IRM with the intent of getting some ratings here if nothing else ill be more clued up on how things are done in the USA now that i live here

Skydiving has a very small community in this country, the total number of jumpers is less than 7000. Therefore DZs are extremely territorial and anything bad said about them tends to get around quite quickly due to the small community.

If I mention the country and the DZ then it is quite possible to be blacklisted. 2 people received bans merely for organizing trips to other DZs

Do have any idea how pathetic you sound? Stand up like a man and tell them you are not going to earn their paycheck any more. Just pay the kit rental, walk through the lines, leave the toggles dragging through the dirt and leave the rig in a heap. Take the next one off the shelf and walk away. these people are not gods (and they are certainly not your friends), they are packers; the bottom rung of the dz hierarchy. Stop being such a chump.

I would ask is it the practice I need to get the cert signed off? if so I would just pack and unpack the same damn rig all day! Additionally, I would sure as hell would leave it unpacked so they could earn their keep!
>:(

I second that motion!

Rob Warner
FAA Master Rigger
CSPA Rigger Examiner
Strong Tandem Examiner