KevinMcguire89

Shenanigans ? Packing/packers issue

Makes one wonder what other "shenanigans" ( like penciling in aircraft maintenance) they are up to. Perhaps getting banned from that DZ just might not be such a bad thing.

Unlike in the US, in the UK the BPA carry out regular DZ inspections to help prevent this sort of thing.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Do have any idea how pathetic you sound? Stand up like a man and tell them you are not going to earn their paycheck any more. Just pay the kit rental, walk through the lines, leave the toggles dragging through the dirt and leave the rig in a heap. Take the next one off the shelf and walk away.

Two ( hundred) wrongs don't make a right and trashing gear doesn't sound manly; it sounds quite childish, and risky to the next person who jumps it if not stopped/ dealt with by the packer. I am surprised at you suggesting such a thing Andrew.

So is part of your rental fee paying for the pack job? At my DZ if you rent a rig but pack it yourself they deduct the pack job from the rental fee. However, at the end of the day, or when someone else has dibs on the rig a staff packer is needs to be the one to pack it.
I would tell manifest when cashing out for the day that you packed it 4 out of 5 rental jumps.

I've slept on it and I think it boils down to three options

#1 confront the DZO about it.

#2 Walk away to another DZ.

#3 Continue being used and keep on packing for the packing cert carrot which simply doesn't exist. And turn up on DZ.com when I have 2000 pack jobs asking when I should be signed off.

I think even though it risks getting me banned from this DZ, I think option 1 is probably the only way to go. Hell if Id o get banned it is only a case of a few more bucks in petrol to get to the next DZ. Problematic but not as problematic as option #3.

Definitely #1 (if the DZO and the CCI are one and the same) although I would suggest taking about the issues rather than confront as that sounds aggressive and even when in the right, reading calm and reasonable is always going to be more favourable. As mentioned earlier by tw9238, ultimately it is the instructors or CCI that signs off the Packing Certificate, not the packers ( unless they are also instructors or riggers) so I'd talk to them about it. Let is know how you get on.

definately talk to the CCI,DZO of an instructor
it could be more that they have not been availaible to do your packing test
i cant imagine its changed that much if you are in the uk a packer cant sign you off or supervise your test
but if they havent told an instructor your ready then they are using you
first windy or rainy day is the perfect time to do something like this CCI and the instructors wont be as busy !

Skydiving has a very small community in this country, the total number of jumpers is less than 7000. Therefore DZs are extremely territorial and anything bad said about them tends to get around quite quickly due to the small community.

If I mention the country and the DZ then it is quite possible to be blacklisted. 2 people received bans merely for organizing trips to other DZs

Sounds like the US. :D:D

Thats part of the problem. I did my packing test about 3 months ago. I passed as the test is pack it, inspect the sabotage, then jump it.

I am still alive and didn't chop it so it worked fine.... but was told pack a few more to practice and we'll sign you off as said that is the most frustrating part of it. The 'some more' is unquantified and could be one could be ten million...

But its a v good weather day and I have to work till late.... I'm just wondering when I should go have a talk tbh.

2 people received bans merely for organizing trips to other DZs

this also then....I'd avoid the place completely.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Thats part of the problem. I did my packing test about 3 months ago. I passed as the test is pack it, inspect the sabotage, then jump it.

If you're talking about the BPA packing cert, from memory an instructor has to sign you off for the kit anyway - not a packer.

Ignore the packers and anything they ask you to do. Find a friendly instructor, buy them a beer, tell them that you're this one step away from your B and ask if they wouldn't mind watching you pack one rig after jumping has stopped for the day and then signing your packing card.

If they won't do that at this DZ, go to a different one. Permanently.

I am still alive and didn't chop it so it worked fine.... but was told pack a few more to practice and we'll sign you off as said that is the most frustrating part of it. The 'some more' is unquantified and could be one could be ten million...

But its a v good weather day and I have to work till late.... I'm just wondering when I should go have a talk tbh.

I thought it sounded like a dz in ireland but if there is another dz close to you then it must not be ireland

Just to update you guys. I went somewhere else did a couple of pack jobs (happily this time) and was signed off yesterday afternoon.

Even though it is a substantially longer drive I now jump elsewhere now.....

Meh I feel so stupid now, in that I feel like one of those people in a bad abusive relationship who convinces themselves that it'll get better and therefore stick with that person.

Just to update you guys. I went somewhere else did a couple of pack jobs (happily this time) and was signed off yesterday afternoon.

Meh I feel so stupid now, in that I feel like one of those people in a bad abusive relationship who convinces themselves that it'll get better and therefore stick with that person.

And when you get your C license, go back and see how they act. Let us know. By then, the word will have gotten around about they treat the low time jumpers. Maybe they will have seen the light and changed their ways. (But I doubt it.) If you're treated like a leper, go back to your good DZ and spend your money thtere.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Skydiving has a very small community in this country, the total number of jumpers is less than 7000. Therefore DZs are extremely territorial and anything bad said about them tends to get around quite quickly due to the small community.

If I mention the country and the DZ then it is quite possible to be blacklisted. 2 people received bans merely for organizing trips to other DZs

Do have any idea how pathetic you sound? Stand up like a man and tell them you are not going to earn their paycheck any more. Just pay the kit rental, walk through the lines, leave the toggles dragging through the dirt and leave the rig in a heap. Take the next one off the shelf and walk away. these people are not gods (and they are certainly not your friends), they are packers; the bottom rung of the dz hierarchy. Stop being such a chump.

solid post. he should even go back to the 340 just to keep them extra busy! The tables would turn pretty fast.

Why would you go back to a bad DZ? Tbh I used to think the first DZ I went to was the best thing in the universe ever.....

Then I was invited to somewhere else for a weekend. Then I saw just how sucky my old DZ happened to be. The new DZ owner had a go at me for going to the old place. And looking back at it even though I wasn't happy with this. I can see he was right....

The old place I jumped at still uses ROUND canopies. Well for the reserves anyway which means super low wind limits.

Hey!
I resemble that remark!

Why would you go back to a bad DZ? Tbh I used to think the first DZ I went to was the best thing in the universe ever.....

Then I was invited to somewhere else for a weekend. Then I saw just how sucky my old DZ happened to be. The new DZ owner had a go at me for going to the old place. And looking back at it even though I wasn't happy with this. I can see he was right....

The old place I jumped at still uses ROUND canopies. Well for the reserves anyway which means super low wind limits.

There is nothing wrong with using ROUND canopies for reserves with static-line training. If you think back to your first jump, how much did you actually know about the equipment and different malfunctions.

In a two out scenario, a square main and round reserve will not fight for the same air or go into a downplane. Once the student has advanced to freefall they will have more training and experience to deal with a two (both square) out scenario.

Don't Pull Low... Unless You ARE!!!
The pessimist says, "It can't get any worse than this." The optimist says, "Sure, it can."
Be fun, have safe.

The advantages of a freebag, and the steering and control a square reserve gives, plus the reduced training necessary, far outweigh anything a round reserve offers.

The "roundie is OK for SL jumps" is an argument made by cheapskate DZO's.

Are SL malfunctions somehow different???.

Standard equipment, and TRAINING, for all jumps, SL or FF, are a key part of student operations.

When square reserves first appeared on the scene, they were the first things I put in my student rigs.

End of story.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....