ihavearrived

Smoke ?

you wouldn't want to tape a normal smoke bomb to your feet, as it gets very hot while it goes off. Also, a firecracker type smoke bomb (anything yuu can buy at a fireworks store) will not put out nearly enough smoke.

do a search on the forums for smoke, theres a ton of info out there.

MB 3528, RB 1182

What would an inspiring young(35yro) skydiver use for smoke to fly with? Is there a commercially made product or do I tape a smoke bomb to my shoe?

Thanks
Alan

Do NOT listen to anyone on the web giving advice about this except for this part; GO TALK WITH YOUR DROP ZONE'S S&TA.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

What would an inspiring young(35yro) skydiver use for smoke to fly with? Is there a commercially made product or do I tape a smoke bomb to my shoe?

Thanks
Alan

Do NOT listen to anyone on the web giving advice about this except for this part; GO TALK WITH YOUR DROP ZONE'S S&TA.

What he said...

I might also add, do a search on this site...you will find volumes of info that will give you some background...but speak with and get proper training from your S&TA.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Thanks
Alan

At your level of jumping, the only smoke you should have should be coming from your ears, as you practice your emergency procedures........ ;)
You'll have PLENTY of time for people to see you in the air, dont worry. :)

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

i seen smoke in the paragear catolog. it wasnt much from what i remember.

i am wondering if u just put 1 jump and 1 year in ur profile just for the hell of it. cause ur wing loading is high for a 1st timer and no AAD?:S

here is thier catolog listing for the smoke.

http://www.paragear.com/templates/base_template.asp?group=156#L1255

ExPeCt ThE uNeXpEcTeD!
DoNt MiNd ThE tYpOs, Im LaZy On CoRrEcTiOnS!

What the old jumpers used were m-80 smoke grenades. the problem them was they got very hot and sometimes caught thier jumpsuit on fire. they had to use a metal bracket to hold it away from thier foot.

Every day is a great day, some are just a little better.

Cold smoke works just fine, there will be some slag from any kind of pyro. And get some kind of bracket too. Paragear is a good place to buy. When we would jump Mk. 18 grenades, they sucked, we would punch hole in beer can to catch the slag and still get burn hole in our canopies.
mjosparky on this web site use to make great brakets, they are the brackets of choice of the "Flying Elvi".

Only the good die young, so I have found immortality,

What the old jumpers used were m-80 smoke grenades. the problem them was they got very hot and sometimes caught thier jumpsuit on fire. they had to use a metal bracket to hold it away from thier foot.

m-80 smoke grenades? ... are they kinda like a Mk-18 smoke grenade, but with a bigger "Bang"???

:S

Anyway, listen to MJO-Sparky and Rampturd... they've set themselves on fire in an airplane more then most folks I know...
:P

;)

Thanks
Alan

That information is a highly guarded secret. You would need more information in your profile be you could be considered as a possible release-ee.:P
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

m-80 smoke grenades? ... are they kinda like a Mk-18 smoke grenade, but with a bigger "Bang"???

Actually...

There was a civilian 'copy' of M-18 smokes that was called M-80

Looked almost the same and worked in the same way.

They didn't burn quite as long, but worked pretty good for the price.

Actually...

There was a civilian 'copy' of M-18 smokes that was called M-80

Looked almost the same and worked in the same way.

They didn't burn quite as long, but worked pretty good for the price.

hmmmm... interesting... what I knew as an M-80 growing up was more like a quarter stick of dynamite... :P

hmmmm... interesting... what I knew as an M-80 growing up was more like a quarter stick of dynamite...

They still make those too...and M-100's

But they're not as good as the ones when WE were kids!:ph34r:

hmmmm... interesting... what I knew as an M-80 growing up was more like a quarter stick of dynamite...

They still make those too...and M-100's

But they're not as good as the ones when WE were kids!:ph34r:

Yeah, we used to make our own too. Ah, the good ol' days when real fireworks weren't yet illegal and no mailbox was safe from a cherry-bomb... ;):P:)

Anyway, Rapter PM'ed me with a pic of an M-80 Smoke Grenade... so they do exist... see, I told y'all he'd know... anyway, I still say they don't look like a Mk18 though.

we manufacture flame-less smoke cartridges for paintball and are thinking of manufacturing color smoke cartridges with ankle attachments for skydiving.
could someone tell me if there would be a market for this product.
the cartridge would be available in red-green-white-yellow-orange-blue and violet smoke with burn times from 3 to 4 miniuts each.
completely spark and flameless and would contain a cool burn smoke composition.

we manufacture flame-less smoke cartridges for paintball and are thinking of manufacturing color smoke cartridges with ankle attachments for skydiving.
could someone tell me if there would be a market for this product.
the cartridge would be available in red-green-white-yellow-orange-blue and violet smoke with burn times from 3 to 4 miniuts each.
completely spark and flameless and would contain a cool burn smoke composition.

is the chemical output from the smoke grenade safe for the nylon canopies? Have you tested to see what happens if residue or ejecta from the cartridge is allowed to make contact with F111 or ZP fabric?

I believe the demand would be there for the smoke containers, but not a all in one package. Lots of demo teams need to do things like suspended smoke or multiple smoke canisters on one foot and have their own hardware built for their specific needs.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Do you have an idea as to the CFM output, and the size and weight a 3-4 minute unit would weigh?

For free fall use, anything that puts out less volume 'per second' than an M-18 is virtually a waste of time.

For canopy work use, less volume is acceptable, but still thin and wispy under a faster canopy.

'Duration' isn't so much a desired factor as consistent output volume over say 1.5 - 2 minutes.

actully we are involved in a 5 year contract with the navy for replacing their M18 color smoke grenades with our cool burn flame-less smoke grenades.
the output is 35,000 per,60 second time frame per,45 grams of composition.
the M18 smoke grenade holds 11.5 ounces of smoke composition per grenade.
our smoke compositions are military type compositions and product the same if not more smoke then the M18.
the compositions we manufacture do not produce slag as this would cause spot-fires in dry conditions.
basic smoke composition that product slag are of china origin as this is the most widly used smoke composition in smoke generators do to the cool burn properties.
the bigest problem any smoke producing product has is the first prime ignition composition used to ignite the smoke compositions.
this formula is pyrogen.
what we have developted is a replacement ignition formula that replaces pyrogen and is also the formula we use in our smoke compositions that enable our smoke compositions to ignite and burn with no sparks or flame.
the total weight of the design would be around just over one pound.
i thank all of you for your input as you guys have experence in this type of use.
your input is what we need to fine tune the product.

What kind of canister are you packaging this in? Will it be of a similar construction as the M-18 in materials and size/diameter? Skydivers have brackets that can hold canisters in the M18 size configuration and slighty bigger objects that attach to their foot/ankle already.An odd size or configuration would not be as popular.

The other crucial part is you ignition system. It has to be able to be ignited fairly easy. The simple pin on the M18 aids this since many attach a piece of 2-3 foot cord to the metal ring(s) so that they can ignite the canister(s) in the door of the aircraft or once under canopy without having to bend down or contort thier body. Most of the commercially available cold smoke uses a friction match thats not really suitable or reliable. The use of a fuse that needs a flame(lighter) to ignite or electrical leads is not suitable for skydiving.

Another thought for you which may or may not be feasible is that a re-useable smoke cannister would be ideal for skydiving as it would allow the user to reload the canister and use it again instead of throwing it in the trash.

Probably the most important is the HAZMAT and explosive class restrcitions. Will the smoke be considered class C, 1.4G (Fireworks)? If the shipping restrictions makes the price per unit go up, it won't be as popular to the gear stores/dealers. This is why many gear strores don't stock the current smoke canisters as it is too expensive to invest in an item that might not move.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Probably the most important is the HAZMAT and explosive class restrictions. Will the smoke be considered class C, 1.4G (Fireworks)? If the shipping restrictions makes the price per unit go up, it won't be as popular to the gear stores/dealers. This is why many gear stores don't stock the current smoke canisters as it is too expensive to invest in an item that might not move.

Sounds to me Scott, like they have a way around the Class C
'Store, Transport, Use' restrictions that have been ever further tightened as a result of the Homeland Security Act.

If the product is what I'm thinking, it utilizes a chemical reaction to initiate the 'burn' and most if not all of the product goes 'up in smoke' so to speak leaving, as he stated...no residue.

Again, if this is the type of product that I'm thinking it is, it 'burns' very cool, and could quite possibly be packaged in a discardable semi ridged plastic (type) container.