BrianSGermain

Short Video on Working with Fear by Brian Germain

Fear is a factor In skydiving safety, especially when we are trying something new. Here is a short video on the topic.

Brian

[url]http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=GCiGqz1vddY[/URL]
Instructional Videos:www.AdventureWisdom.com
Keynote Speaking:www.TranscendingFEAR.com
Canopies and Courses:www.BIGAIRSPORTZ.com

I love that one too. It was a perfect day.

Here is a link for anyone else who wants to watch it:

[URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp-V8CFIiys&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/URL]

If that doesn't work, just visit my Channel:
[url]http://www.YouTube/BSGermain[/URL]

Enjoy!
Bri

I am 38 and just took up skydiving again...23 jumps so far this summer..

Read your book "The parachute and its pilot"..and noticed the term "DG" or "dead guy"...

How do you draw the line between being the DG and being in a state where you deal with fear/nervousness by visualizing the positive outcome instead of everything that could go bad?

Thanks for a great book and also an interesting video.

It is a constant balancing act between perceived ability and perceived risk. The appraisal is subjective, but one thing this sport has going for it is community. Listen to your friends. They know more about you than you realize, perhaps more than you know about yourself.

Keeping your ears open to everything that makes you a safe skydiver is the best way to become an old one.

Blue Skies!
Brian

It is a constant balancing act between perceived ability and perceived risk. The appraisal is subjective, but one thing this sport has going for it is community. Listen to your friends. They know more about you than you realize, perhaps more than you know about yourself.

Keeping your ears open to everything that makes you a safe skydiver is the best way to become an old one.

Blue Skies!
Brian

I have already learned that my instructors say what they do for a reason! It is my most important lesson so far..

Best regards
R

Is it possible that positive visualization can make others perceive you as not nervous before and during jumps? If thats the case...could this "calmness" give the false impression that you are not aware of the situation and infected with the DG-syndrome?? (Despite the fact that you are 100% focused on what you are about to perform even if you not necessary let ALL the impressions from your senses give growth to fear and possible negative outcomes?).:S

Slightly OT

Its funny, because when I did my AFF I learnt with a girl who was a clinical psychologist. Her sat on the ground mind knew what to do to conquer her fears. But on the plane she was very panicky. She'd sit and meditate for a moment before running for the plane.

She conquered her fear eventually.

OTOH you get odd people like me who have damaged amygdala who don't feel the fear much. (its the reason why I'm such a douche apparently too) The pain however is very very real, thus why I've learnt to land v softly after many crunch type landings.