virgin-burner

"ratting out" one someone; would you do it!?

No. It's a personal choice.

you stated in the other thread that you "learned from it" - i still would like to know the circumstances HOW you learned from it. your reply suggests that you STILL havent learned; so please explain yourself!
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I'm not trying to make a logic class out of this I am simply saying that the majority of deaths happen to people one would never consider 'ratting out'.

I don't think many jumpers are on a 'collision course' in this sport they are simply jumping. This is like a witch trial of sorts, I think.

I am all for spotting stupid shit and god bless but these situations are really in the minority of the bad press this sport gets. All I'm sayin.

J

I'm not trying to make a logic class out of this I am simply saying that the majority of deaths happen to people one would never consider 'ratting out'.

I don't think many jumpers are on a 'collision course' in this sport they are simply jumping. This is like a witch trial of sorts, I think.

I am all for spotting stupid shit and god bless but these situations are really in the minority of the bad press this sport gets. All I'm sayin.

J

From your response I would say you are part of the problem. In the last 3 years 84 skydivers have died under a good canopy. Maybe some would still be alive if someone had “ratted them out”

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

you stated in the other thread that you "learned from it" - i still would like to know the circumstances HOW you learned from it. your reply suggests that you STILL havent learned; so please explain yourself!

No, I said "I have learned my lesson". If you're going to quote me get it right.

I did not learn it from some would-be canopy sheriff telling the authorities about me.

I am not going to go any further. You set up a poll - you got my response.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

No, I said "I have learned my lesson". If you're going to quote me get it right.

I did not learn it from some would-be canopy sheriff telling the authorities about me.

still the same piss-poor attitude as you used to have. sorry for not going to exaxtly look after the crap u've posted, i have that much of a life.. :S
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

still the same piss-poor attitude as you used to have. sorry for not going to exaxtly look after the crap u've posted, i have that much of a life.. :S

I'll ignore the PA, and go straight to the facts.

1. I am telling you I have learned some stuff, and you accuse me of having the same attitude. I no longer have the KA135. I learned through someone talking to me, not through some heavy-handed laying down of the law.

2. You sound like you're trying to make out that you're trying to keep this guy on the straight an narrow and within safe canopy choice guidelines. However, if your numbers are correct, you are at 350 jumps, jumping a sub-120 sq ft canopy loaded at nearly 1.8 - which exceeds the manufacturer's recommended WL of 1.6 [Reference: http://www.dropzone.com/gear/Detailed/301.html]. That is just hypocritical. How about you set an example before "ratting out" other people?

You're always there with a dig, a snarky remark or an attempt at a witty comeback but you add little value.

Again, you set this poll - if you can't take the fact that someone posted a view you didn't like maybe you have some growing up to do.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

http://www.icaruscanopies.aero/safire-2

Recommended Wing Loading: 0.75 - 1.9 psf

and this is only "recommended".. how about you're getting your facts straight first!?

and if you havent noticed, a safire2 isnt a katana. it is not a HP-canopy.

i land my saf within 10ft every time, in all wind-conditions, not long ago in a quarter-sized soccerfield with fences on each side on an injump. and i've put around 100 jumps on it since i've got it. i'm not even mentioning the education i've gone through with it. so..

i think we're talking a couple different things here..

if you have a personal vendetta take it to PM and let this thread stand as it is. thanks.
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

http://www.icaruscanopies.aero/safire-2

Recommended Wing Loading: 0.75 - 1.9 psf

and this is only "recommended".. how about you're getting your facts straight first!?

and if you havent noticed, a safire2 isnt a katana. it is not a HP-canopy.

i land my saf within 10ft every time, in all wind-conditions, not long ago in a quarter-sized soccerfield with fences on each side on an injump. and i've put around 100 jumps on it since i've got it. i'm not even mentioning the education i've gone through with it. so..

i think we're talking a couple different things here..

if you have a personal vendetta take it to PM and let this thread stand as it is. thanks.

This list of excuses and "but I'm different" reasons is just the sort of thing you would expect that guy to say.

I know. I've been there.

~ CanuckInUSA

Giving someone the "tough love speech" is never easy. Here are my rules:

1. Make damn sure you know what you're talking about before confronting someone else. This means experience, knowledge, canopy skills, and yes, jump numbers.

2. To soothe their bruised ego, throw in a story about one of your own near-death experiences.

3. Make them understand that it's nothing personal--you are only giving them the tough love speech because you don't want to be on their ash dive.

4. Report them to the DZO / S&TA / CI / local skygods only if they refuse to listen to reason, or if you are certain that they are in imminent danger of hurting others.

5. Give them the tough love speech twice. After that, they're on their own.

6. Most importantly, if they act like a total douche bag when confronted with the error of their ways, walk away knowing that you can sleep at night with a clear conscience.

That being said, most people react poorly when critiqued on their skydiving skills. I've saved a couple of lives, but I've also lost a couple of friends. And sadly, IMO about 95% of all tough love speeches involve relatively inexperienced people learning how to swoop their canopies. As the saying goes, "There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots."