Divinfool

How old is too old?

Thanks for the replies....great answers btw. I'm 50 and have tried to stay fit my entire life. I've been a bit of an extremist (ironman finisher, 3 marathons, hiked a large portion of the Appalachian trail, 2600 logged scuba dives and avid spearfisherman etc etc). I have consistently worked out with weights three times a week as well as 3-4 days of cardiovascular exercise since I was a teen. Skydiving was one of the things I always wanted to get involved in and I constantly talked about doing it with my kids...well last month I finally got to do my first tandem with my kids (both in their early twenties)... we had a blast and I don't think we have come down from the high yet lol. Naturally the next step for us is getting trained to skydive "solo"....but I was stunned when one of the representatives said I was "too old"...that was a first for me...I felt like showing them what an ol' guy arse whipping felt like! (maybe they just want me to keep doing tandems until I run out of money!)
Luckily I have 6 other dropzones within 75 miles of where I live and have heard great things about all of them. Anyhow... I'm in at another Dropzone and am stoked to finally get trained. Thanks again for the candid comments!

That's seriously impressive and you seem VERY fit! Go get that license of yours! I can only imagine to have that many dives(only 30 at the moment) and also hope to complete an Ironman later on......and I'm 23!
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

The BPA has identified 55 as the maximum age to learn to skydive:

From their website: (http://www.bpa.org.uk/yourfirstjump/)

Maximum age Analysis of statistics compiled over many years indicates that incident rates tend to increase as student jumpers get older. This may be due to slowing reaction times and sometimes less acute senses as the years go by. Risk assessment suggests the tipping point to be when a person reaches their mid-fifties. On this basis, to avoid increased risk, the maximum age at which even a hale, hearty and healthy person can be admitted to start training for solo parachute jumping is before they reach their 55th birthday. This restriction does not apply to tandem students, where the descent is in harness with a qualified instructor (although health requirements continue to apply).

The BPA has a lot of weird ideas.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Maximum age Analysis of statistics compiled over many years indicates that incident rates tend to increase as student jumpers get older. This may be due to slowing reaction times and sometimes less acute senses as the years go by. Risk assessment suggests the tipping point to be when a person reaches their mid-fifties. On this basis, to avoid increased risk, the maximum age at which even a hale, hearty and healthy person can be admitted to start training for solo parachute jumping is before they reach their 55th birthday. This restriction does not apply to tandem students, where the descent is in harness with a qualified instructor (although health requirements continue to apply).

Like sending as many people as they can to spend money at DZs in Spain.

airtwardo ,,, not Deland.

It would have surprised me if it was, Deland is full of old people!

Now, which dz do I have to go to in order to lay the smackdown on someone for saying 40 is too old? :|
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Thats just fucked up. :S
__

My mighty steed

I'll keep the Dropzone name to myself until I get to know everyone better ;) I'm still in the probationary period on this forum..:D

I've been around the block twice, and I've never heard of a US dropzone with that age limit~:)

Let me know WHAT DZ it is, I'll give them a call to ask about that policy...:D:D:D

What does knowing 'everyone better' have to do with it?? ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

The BPA... the maximum age at which even a hale, hearty and healthy person can be admitted to start training for solo parachute jumping is before they reach their 55th birthday.

Does the BPA kick experienced jumpers out of the sport when they reach the age of 55?

The BPA is the most incompetant organisation in world skydiving. This is exactly the sort of nonsense that illustrates that point.

Any injuries suffered by older individuals in the UK can be directly attributed to the incompetance of their training systems and antique equipment they still have in service.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Thanks for all the great responses and encouragement.... in retrospect, the fact that they told me I was too old only makes me want it more. Time to quit screwing around and get up there. ;) Maybe a stupid question, but should I do another tandem so I can actually get a better feel for what's going on...or get right into the course? (my first was such a rush I couldn't concentrate on anything but the buzz I was feeling lol)

Fear is the thief of dreams.....

I started jumping at 53. That was 14 years ago and I now have over 3000 skydives. You are as old as you feel and act. My life has been so much better due to the great group of friends I have made.

Hi elltee.

A certain lady that we both know was, I believe, 55 when she made her first jump. She has since won a medal at Nationals, been on the womens' world RW record and just this last July on the US women's wingsuit record.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.