goobersnuftda

Cessna 206 question

The standard engine for a Cessna 206 is a IO-520. When it is overhaul time it is best to up the power and put in a IO-550. Is that the largest engine that can be STC'd to go into a 206?

Now the other thing. The propeller. 2 blade or the upgrade to the 3 blade. Yes there are quietness and vibration differences but as a skydiving plane it is all about climb rate. Which one is the better of the two. I'm researching the issue that with the IO-550 and the 3 blade prop, you can use the 300+ hp continuously at a lower engine RPM.

http://tinyurl.com/y8g37w9

BTW, turbo is not an option for us. Yes it is more $$$, very much more risk in cooling it down but the general rule of putting a turbo on a 206 and restricting it to top floor only is not an option.

Wing tip extensions have already been installed. Any other feedback on performance would be greatly appreciated.

Remember that a 550 burns more fuel than a 520. Do you routinely have one or two jumpers getting out low? How high do your high loads go above sea level?
If you are going to 14,000 with six most loads you definitely need the 550. If you drop one at 5000 most loads and then go to 11,500 then you probably don't.

Skydive Big sky operates a 520 turbocharged at Innisfail AB. They may have some numbers for you, but Lyal from Eden North ran it for longer so maybe he can give you some insight.

Which serial number do you have? Atlantic Aero offers the IO-550N tuned induction engine which makes 310hp continuous for the newer F models and later. I have the Texas Skyways IO-550 with the Super Simitar. It really makes a difference. The Super Simitar seems to pull the best, The 3 blade Mac 401 or 402 also does well. The Super Simitar is quieter. The larger prop helps Weight and balance with 6 jumpers. See P-ponk. I have heard of a dummy trying to put a PT6-20 on a U206.

Remember that a 550 burns more fuel than a 520. Do you routinely have one or two jumpers getting out low? How high do your high loads go above sea level?.

Our issue is that this one plane will be transferred into doing most of the work for a few years. The P206 will be the work horse to take as many tandems (2 or 3) to 10,500 AGL (2,000 ft ASL DZ) as well as all the PFF. There will be times that 3 get out to H & P when the other PFF-3 go to altitude. In between loads (x5) IAD will be performed.

This plane is an early model, like within the first few years the 206 came out so all those late model modifications will be of no use to us. I know turbo is great but we do not want a turbo. As the work horse, we will have down times because people can not get their s&*$ together and you must be absolutely vigilant about proper shut down procedures, cool down times etc. It's nice and all to play around with highly tuned toys (and those turbos) but this is a business and with a simple shut down mistake once or twice, the club is down with a mega $$$ bill.

So from what I am seeing, the IO-550 is the biggest engine for the power. A 2 blade is fine but in the link I provided above, the 3 blade seems to give you the ability to use most of the hp at a lower rpm. I looked into the tuned exhaust system and though it has worked wonders on other Cessna's, alas there is only approval for the smaller Cessna's below the 206. Oh well.

Wing tip extensions already installed. Any other practical ideas for performance? If you are going to do an engine overhaul, this is the time to get organized and make some decisions for the next 1,700 hours (before going on condition).

My IO-550 powered U206 burns less fuel per head than my IO-520 powered U206. More gallons per hour yes, but more head per hour. There is also an increased efficiency in having more power at altitude. Easier for the pilot to hit the target altitude at the exit point, etc.

Our 206 is an early model 1965 but if you have a later one like a F, G or H, here is a web page that states an easier way to get a lot more power with an engine you can plop in:

Clicky

and she burns kerosene. How it will work with various props with this type of engine I don't know. Looks like it is still a 1,500hr TBO.