hurleym04

Stability in freefall

If it isn't from your arms, then the spin necessarily come from your legs. Make sur you are properly arched and that both of your legs are a the same height. In my AFF program we had to get a 20 minutes with an AFFI in a wind tunnel before starting to jump. Really helped a lot, on my level one I could already fly on my own and start practicing maneuvers.

You really should think about some wind tunnel time it's great since you don't have to bother about the whole stress of the jump only on your body position and flying.

(This is what I was told during my WT training to get stable)

Disclaimer - I am not an instructor!!

This is just a suggestion and something that I have seen being done combined with personal experience.

Visualisation can help alot - mentally go through the "perfect" arch. I would suggest that you don't arch/practice by yourself as you can end up teaching yourself poor position.

However what can be useful is getting on a creeper with your instructor and drilling stable freefall. The instructor can then turn your left/right on the creeper and drill the correct response into you. Remember drilling takes time - I am not suggesting 5 minutes on a creeper. Do it till it is second nature and that takes time.

Another idea is chat to various instructors (only instructors) sometimes the different ways people have of explaining things can "click". I have heard how to arch explained in about 10 different ways - only 1 of which really clicked with me and fixed my specific problem.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Stability comes from being aware of your body (all parts) and making sure that the air is moving evenly around you. Being rigid, or trying to force things will usually cause problems. Not being aware of what all parts of your body are doing can cause problems (which is more compelx than it may sound).

+1 on the video idea. By far the best way to see what the real problem is.

Also, watch some skydive video on youtube. notice how smooth the people are who fly really well. Tunnel video can be great also. If you have a small area to fly in you have to be smooth and stable to keep from bouncing off the walls. Also, notice how small the inputs they give are whey they turn or move. Just being a little bit out of alignment with a foot...knee... hip.... shoulder can cause movement. It doesn't take much to do a lot. Relax, arch, don't try to force things.

I agree with the others, get video so you and your instructors can see what you are doing wrong.

Also, do you have a wind tunnel close by? If you do, go get some wind tunnel time. You can practice on staying stable in the wind tunnel and that will help with stability in the air.

BTW, it took me 10 tries to pass AFF 3.

I am off AFF status now, but it took me 24 jumps just TO get off AFF.

You'll do fine.