JediMindTricks

Hop n pop

I'm in the same spot, OP - I have my clear-and-pull jumps on Sunday, and am a little nervous about them :S

Everyone I talk to says there is plenty of altitude and it is a piece of cake as long as I relax|arch|reach|pull.

Lots of good advice in this thread, thanks!

I'm in the same spot, OP - I have my clear-and-pull jumps on Sunday, and am a little nervous about them :S

Everyone I talk to says there is plenty of altitude and it is a piece of cake as long as I relax|arch|reach|pull.

Lots of good advice in this thread, thanks!

Close your eyes and count slowly count to 10. Have someone check you with a watch. This is the amount of time it will take you to reach 2,500 feet. I you deploy there you should be in the saddle by 2,000 feet. Don’t let it get in your head. You are in charge if you take charge. Do it.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I understand that you might be worried about not beeing stable.
I had a student that made a very unstable exit/freefall on his hop n pop, but as you can see he cleared it and he had plenty of time still.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqp6t-UOGG0

EDIT: Just to be clear about one thing. It was not my idea to dive out. But since he feelt more comfortable with that i didnt want to argue with him about it.

me, the other AFFJM and the cameraman would toss a couple of points, round, donut,round, or donut, round donut or what ever.

You are old enough to remember doing 10 way speed stars from 4,500/5,000 feet out a beech. And most of the time everyone would be open by 2,000. Well most of the time.
:)
Sparky

Hi Mike,
I shoulda' known!!! :ph34r::ph34r::D:D;)B| Yup, those were the daze. and ya' were there too!! Why did we do it??? Because we could!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

me, the other AFFJM and the cameraman would toss a couple of points, round, donut,round, or donut, round donut or what ever.

You are old enough to remember doing 10 way speed stars from 4,500/5,000 feet out a beech. And most of the time everyone would be open by 2,000. Well most of the time.
:)
Sparky
Hi Mike,

I shoulda' known!!! :ph34r::ph34r::D:D;)B| Yup, those were the daze. and ya' were there too!! Why did we do it??? Because we could!!

:D and none of us took 1000' for our canopies to open. "Crack!" it opened and we were happy!
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

and none of us took 1000' for our canopies to open. "Crack!" it opened and we were happy!

I was jumping a Big Man Piglet then. Went from pilot chute to parachute chute right now.;)

Sparky

B| As far as I'm concerned, snivel is a nasty word!

(I have a feeling we're talking in code :P )
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

and none of us took 1000' for our canopies to open. "Crack!" it opened and we were happy!

I was jumping a Big Man Piglet then. Went from pilot chute to parachute chute right now.;)

Sparky

B| As far as I'm concerned, snivel is a nasty word!

(I have a feeling we're talking in code :P )

It's not really code, but now the "younguns" understand how we feel when they talk. :D
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

if you get out at 5,000 feet, you have roughly 25 seconds till your reserve arms.

at 4,000 it is 20 seconds, and 15 seconds from 3,000.

15 seconds is a quarter of a normal skydive, 25 is half of a skydive.

when you realistically think about the time you have to work with, it doesn't seem so short.

if you are still nervous about the hnp, do an exit or two at full altitude with a practice touch within 5 seconds of coming out of the door.

good luck and blue skies
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

if you get out at 5,000 feet, you have roughly 25 seconds till your reserve arms.

Think about this statement. Reserves don't arm, so you're probably talking about the AAD, which arms on the way up.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Think about this statement. Reserves don't arm, so you're probably talking about the AAD, which arms on the way up.

yep, thanks for pointing it out.
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

Once you do it and get good at it, I think you will really enjoy the confidence that it brings you. I used to be a static line JM, and have probably over 100 hop n pops from following students out at 3500. I know for a fact that I can easily get out and have an open canopy above my head in less than 200 feet below the airplane (remember your opening happens more horizontally if you get your deployment started in the first 2-3 seconds after exit).

Knowing that is great for emergency procedures, and also for fun jumps.

This was a nasty weather day, and we went up to see how much altitude we could get... looks like about 2200 feet. No big deal right? Canopy open and flying in less than 200 feet without even having to rush. Much better than riding the plane down. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ2BQgApbnM

It does crack me up that the hop-n-pops at my current home DZ are usually at like 4500-5500 and are usually more like 10 second delays than hop-n-pops. Either way, it's a really good skill to have.