JediMindTricks

Hop n pop

>I have to two of these jumps to get my A. I'm kind of worried I won't have enough
>time or alititude to get stable though.

1) Don't think "get stable" think "stay stable." You can stay stable from the time your feet leave the door to the time you deploy. You don't need "time to get stable."

2) Even if you don't get stable it's not the end of the world. Static line students jumped for decades from 3000 feet, and for decades a good percentage of them were unstable. They generally did just fine.

Do the calculations on how much freefall time you will have.

You'll most likely still have tons of time to the minimum student opening altitude, and even more to the minimum for skydivers in general.

You can exit just the same as always, just that the ground is a bit closer. The whole point is to learn to not get psyched out by it!

Some AFF students don't get psyched out, partially because the jumps are made out to be no big deal. Exit and deployment are the same; you just cut out the time in between and don't practice any maneuvers.

(Meanwhile, all the jumpers who trained the traditional way with static line or similar and did all their early jumps at 3000' or so will be snickering.)

I have to two of these jumps to get my A. I'm kind of worried I won't have enough time or alititude to get stable though.

When you do jumps from full altitude, instead of fun jumps diving out the door or whatever, do a few where you're trying to be stable from the moment you leave the plane. When you feel comfortable doing that, then do your hop 'n' pops.

We do poised exits for the hop n pops while a student , which
Sans you exit the plane correctly and your stable! I was so worried about the altitude issue , one instructor said I had my hand on the pc before I cleared the tail! It's not bad once you do it, hell we all had to do it! Now I actually enjoy the low cloud cover days when my DZ runs 10 dollar hop n pops, i get ten jumps in for 100 bucks and work on canopy control.
Wait , I pull what first?

First hop & pop I made from 3500' for my A, I was freaked out by how low it seemed.. pulled nearly right off the step, far below terminal, opening felt more spongy than a bubble bath at a nursing home.. ended up with line twist which I kicked out of.
Lesson: Give it a good 4-count & pull like any other jump. You'll have ample altitude for a smooth opening and emergency proc's if need be.
Now the time it was overcast & we jumped all day from 2400ft.. those you might wanna back extra careful for.

i've done hop n'pops from as low as 2800ft; i'm still here!

it's normal to be a bit nervous on your first. heck, on my first i ended up pulling on my back with the PC going between my legs.. oh, and i survived that too!
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Better yet.

Imagine you're naked and the longer you free fall the better the likelyhood that everyone will see your "winkie".

Unless of course you're into that kind of stuff, and that's a whole nother issue.

Seriously. Keep your eyes glued to the airplane flying away - reach and pull.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

Relax I love hop and pops they are so much fun and I hear they are very good for increasing your testicular mass
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

i've done hop n'pops from as low as 2800ft; i'm still here!

it's normal to be a bit nervous on your first. heck, on my first i ended up pulling on my back with the PC going between my legs.. oh, and i survived that too!

1600 ft with a Spectre. Four of them I'm still here :)

I have to two of these jumps to get my A. I'm kind of worried I won't have enough time or alititude to get stable though. I'm getting kinda nervous !

Hi JMT,
Why???? Yer jez doin' a hop-n-pop! Yer first 1 second off the step or door ya' only fall 16', #2 second 32' for a total of 46'. 'Ya ain't gonna drop that far before yer chute opens! Ya' got stable out the door before and you'll do it again, and from 3500' sheesh!! Did all my statics from 2500' outa Milt Nobles Cessna 170A and this was before someone came up with the static line assist (end of S/L to P/C lanyard with velcro!!) Don't open too high, ya'll get a nosebleed from the high alt!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

I have to two of these jumps to get my A. I'm kind of worried I won't have enough time or alititude to get stable though. I'm getting kinda nervous !

Hi JMT,
Why???? Yer jez doin' a hop-n-pop! Yer first 1 second off the step or door ya' only fall 16', #2 second 32' for a total of 46'. 'Ya ain't gonna drop that far before yer chute opens! Ya' got stable out the door before and you'll do it again, and from 3500' sheesh!! Did all my statics from 2500' outa Milt Nobles Cessna 170A and this was before someone came up with the static line assist (end of S/L to P/C lanyard with velcro!!) Don't open too high, ya'll get a nosebleed from the high alt!!

Say wuh?

What I did in prep for my HnPs was to pretend I was doing one as my exit for a couple of solos from altitude. I did everything I expected to do (jump to present my belly to the wind, arch, reach, "pull"), except didn't actually grab my hackey when I "pulled". As someone mentioned above, you want to aim to *stay* stable, not *get* stable. I found it helps to try to keep your eye on the plane when you exit. (not literally, of course)

Hi JMT,

Say wuh?

Hi Whatyabeensmokin?,
'Never ceases to amaze me how since we started the AFF thing, students freak out over hop and pops!! The exit way up there and pull at a lower alt. then to do a "Hop and Pop" from their pull altitude, they freak! Just one of those things I guess.. From daze gone by, we started low and worked up altitude wise, now it's opposite. 'Ya notice the red arc on yer alti starts at 2500' (well they used to anyway!) Uncork at 2.5K never bothered me, Rounds, ramairs F-111 or z-p, doesn't matter. 'Love it when people talk about the thousands of feet it takes their canopies to open so they "Have" to pull high! They still open way up there with all kinds of good freefall alt "Below them!" Back years ago at Scare-us-Valley we'd get the AFF stu under canoppy by 4K and once he's settled, me, the other AFFJM and the cameraman would toss a couple of points, round, donut,round, or donut, round donut or what ever. generally get about 3 points, track dump and get open by 2.5/2.0 K, no problem GI!! Why?? Because we can!! If yer still goin' "Duh, I don't get it??" I got a crater I'll sell ya' real cheap!!:ph34r::D;)
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

me, the other AFFJM and the cameraman would toss a couple of points, round, donut,round, or donut, round donut or what ever.

You are old enough to remember doing 10 way speed stars from 4,500/5,000 feet out a beech. And most of the time everyone would be open by 2,000. Well most of the time.
:)
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

We do poised exits for the hop n pops while a student , which Sans you exit the plane correctly and your stable! I was so worried about the altitude issue , one instructor said I had my hand on the pc before I cleared the tail!

This poised exit scenario for students is worrisome.
The H&P requirement is preparing you for emergency exits. If you try to do a poised exit in an emergency situation, you probably won't be able to do it.... because....the person behind you will be knocking you off the plane before you have a chance to get set up.

You job is to exit the plane immediately and deploy your parachute within 5 seconds. This means either a diving exit, or best yet, an upright, chest and hips to the wind, presentation to the relative wind on exit.

It's a good idea to practice that exit up high and get it dialed in before you actually have to use it at a low altitude, which, in an emergency situation could very well be well below your scary 3.5Kft.

Here's what I teach for the emergency exit jump procedure:
Have a plan before hand for what your cutoff altitude is for main/reserve bailout decision.
In an emergency bailout...
1. Check altitude
- if above cutoff, bail on main
- if below cutoff, bail on reserve
2. Put your hand on the handle of the parachute you plan to use.
3. Approach the door and immediately step off facing the relative wind.
4. Count 1 second and pull.

now, after having practiced the exit (step 3) and being able to do it consistently with stability, you are prepared for the emergency exit.

For A-license sign-off, I ask them to do a H&P and deploy stable within 5 seconds.

For fun jump H&Ps, well...have FUN!
:)
From 2011 SIM, Cat F:

"5. Clear and pull (AFF students only—IAD and staticline students have already met the clear-and-pull
requirement in Category C.)
a. A clear and pull is used for emergency exits and
pre-planned low-altitude jumps.
b. Use a familiar, stable exit technique.
c. Present your hips to the relative wind and execute normal pull procedures (without wave-off ) to
deploy within five seconds of exit.

d. Expect the parachute to open in relation to the
relative wind, not overhead as usual.
e. The sequence consists of a clear and pull from
two altitudes:
(1) first from 5,500 feet
(2) once successful, from 3,500 feet
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239