pyromelon

Please check out these smokes // need input

Blue smoke (no cats were harmed)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fEjvBzs-UM

Red smoke - (my camera or monitor ruins the nice color.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UF7RWHjOSM&feature=related

We are ready to begin production of these and I'm looking for imput and ideas so they'll be a better fit in the skydiving world.

Basic info:
length = 6" OD = 3"
all paper and cardboard parts / no metal or plastic, glass, concrete, etc.
electric fire or pull-wire under a screw-off safety cap

burn time = 30 seconds or 60 seconds. Longer times can be had at the expense of some output but maybe we can spare some.... 90 seconds or 2 minutes?

As far as how hot they get, I'll post a vid on my site to give you an idea. I'll hold the smoke in my bare hand during the burn.

Ash - By design, these smoke dissipate their ash as they burn by expelling it it small, spent bits that should do no damage to anything. Sometimes they'll spit out a larger chunk and we're working to git rid of that as well.
This week, I hope to work out a 3 color smoke as in red>white>blue, 20 seconds of each. I'll put up vid when I'm happey with the results. Any other colors anyone wanna see?

Our goal is to create a smoke with enough volume that it leaves a trail so dense it looks like you could on it and I think we're there. We do a pretty good job with a 2" ID on airplanes. If the wind is calm, we get a nice stream that hangs for quite a while. In this case, we have a 2.5" ID moving MUCH slower than a airplane, at least under canopy? They should look REAL good and be a huge improvement over the piddly stuff I have seen around.

Iv'e been at this smoke nonsense for the last 12 years, full time and I'm getting pretty good at them, I hope.

You can check out what I do @:
www.lightningpyro.com

And to whoever set up and runs this forum, many thanks! I'm learning a lot from it.

Hi,
I use smoke from this company:-
http://www.tlsfx.co.uk/p-40-150-second-smoke-grenades.aspx
I find the burn time of 2.5 mins is good for free fall and canopy. Either a 1min freefall followed by a 1.5min (Velo) canopy ride and swoop, or a 2.5min H&P slower canopy ride from 5K+ with a swoop finish.
However the output in freefall is not so good when headdown. OK for flat but becomes wispy HD or sitfly.
Under canopy the output is excellent although yours does seem denser by comparison.
However, what I really like is the electronic firing (I use a separate switch from a 9V battery). This way I can leave it disconnected up till 10K and only wire it up prior to exit and thus minimising any firing in the plane. However, despite several pilots telling me it will definitely fire, it has never fired yet inside.
I also find green smoke appears to be easier to see from the ground, not sure why that is?
The best part though is the cannister is slightly smaller in diameter than standard plastic guttering pipe from DIY stores. Therefore I cut a small 4" section of pipe and put it over the output end of the cannister to act as an exhaust and guide the smoke away from my body.
This smoke does leave very minor colouring on jumpuits and trainers but it washes out very easily. I have also not noticed any colouring of lines.
No ejection of hot rocks and no spontaneous or unintentional combustion. Cannister remains warm but still handle-able throughout.
However there is one minor problem. When landing the cannister attached to your foot leaves a splodge of hot paint on the ground with every step you take. You have to be very careful not to then drop your canopy or pilot chute onto any spills as the retained heat from that paint splodge will burn. My wife's pilot chute dropped onto a paint spot after a demo and it burned a hole right through the middle of the mesh, although the ZP faired better it still meant a whole new PC. Just unfortunate really as after taking a few steps to land we always drop our canopies in front of us. (As the paint spots are always behind).
Also, after use the cannister then does and will emit lots of ash. But at this point it's finished and it's just a case of clearing it away to a bin.
So, if you can also solve some of these issues then you'd have the perfect smoke! Thanks.

How about you cease peppering the forums with new posts every day advertising your smoke bombs? Just one thread will do. If you have more to say, append that one thread. That's why your duplicate posts keep disappearing - the moderators are flushing them into the trash bin. You have something here that people will be interested in, but you shouldn't annoy us in the process of promoting them.

I've jumped a bunch of smoke in a wingsuit, including the Skydiver Smoke ('cold' smoke and 'hot' smoke) sold in Paragear and military/law enforcement tactical smoke. The military/law enforcement smoke burns incredibly hot and spews fiery bits everywhere, (you can see one of our experiments with an M18 smoke grenade design here: http://www.vimeo.com/5416406). As a result, I'd be really interested to see that "hand held" demonstration that you referenced.

We like to do a red/white/blue formation for the Fourth of July, and our current sources for high quality smoke have dried up (and, as I mentioned, they burned dangerously hot and required us to use a very awkward bracket to get the can far enough away from the leg wing to avoid damage) so a new vendor is appreciated. This is particularly the case if we can get consistently high quality product with reliable burn times and consistent amounts of smoke output without the same heat/burn problems that we've had.

To the original poster - if you can ship to Massachusetts, and I can do so safely, I'll gladly demo and get video of a wingsuiter using your smoke.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

>:(

Hi,
>>> I use smoke from this company:-
http://www.tlsfx.co.uk/p-40-150-second-smoke-grenades.aspx

There seems to be a lot more selection in the smoke market in Europe. As bad as our regulatory situation is here, it's worse in most of europe so that is surprising.
Then again, those smokes are actually made in China but are of a good quality.

>>>I find the burn time of 2.5 mins is good for free fall

2 minutes of real heavy output is what I'm >guessing
>>>However, what I really like is the electronic firing (I use a separate switch from a 9V battery). This way I can leave it disconnected up till 10K and only wire it up prior to exit and thus minimising any firing in the plane. However, despite several pilots telling me it will definitely fire, it has never fired yet inside.

Why would it fire?

>>>I also find green smoke appears to be easier to see from the ground, not sure why that is?

From dealing with aircraft, we guessed yellow but never tried green.

>>>The best part though is the cannister is slightly smaller in diameter than standard plastic guttering pipe from DIY stores. Therefore I cut a small 4" section of pipe and put it over the output end of the cannister to act as an exhaust and guide the smoke away from my body.

That's a good idea. With a 3" OD, I'm guessing that you could find something to fit ours.

>>>This smoke does leave very minor colouring on jumpuits and trainers but it washes out very easily. I have also not noticed any colouring of lines.

That should be the case with any colored smoke as long as the dye has had some chance to cool off before contact.

>>>No ejection of hot rocks and no spontaneous or unintentional combustion.

"Hot rocks"? Wansn't that what the girls called me in high school?? Or was it "toothpick"?

>>>Cannister remains warm but still handle-able throughout.

As should be the case with ours.

>>>However there is one minor problem. When landing the cannister attached to your foot leaves a splodge of hot paint on the ground with every step you take. You have to be very careful not to then drop your canopy or pilot chute onto any spills as the retained heat from that paint splodge will burn. My wife's pilot chute dropped onto a paint spot after a demo and it burned a hole right through the middle of the mesh, although the ZP faired better it still meant a whole new PC. Just unfortunate really as after taking a few steps to land we always drop our canopies in front of us. (As the paint spots are always behind).
Also, after use the cannister then does and will emit lots of ash. But at this point it's finished and it's just a case of clearing it away to a bin.

That's the kind of info we're looking for! I'll clunk some of mine around, post burn and report back.

>>>So, if you can also solve some of these issues then you'd have the perfect smoke! Thanks.

Dude! I live to serve. Thank you for the info,.

How about you cease peppering the forums with new posts every day advertising your smoke bombs? Just one thread will do. If you have more to say, append that one thread. That's why your duplicate posts keep disappearing - the moderators are flushing them into the trash bin. You have something here that people will be interested in, but you shouldn't annoy us in the process of promoting them.

We found the innkeeper! Just kidding, bud. I tried to go back and delete some but I'm not smart enough to figure it out. I don't mean to do bad things. I'll try to do better.

I've jumped a bunch of smoke in a wingsuit, including the Skydiver Smoke ('cold' smoke and 'hot' smoke) sold in Paragear and military/law enforcement tactical smoke. The military/law enforcement smoke burns incredibly hot and spews fiery bits everywhere, (you can see one of our experiments with an M18 smoke grenade design here: http://www.vimeo.com/5416406). As a result, I'd be really interested to see that "hand held" demonstration that you referenced.

We like to do a red/white/blue formation for the Fourth of July, and our current sources for high quality smoke have dried up (and, as I mentioned, they burned dangerously hot and required us to use a very awkward bracket to get the can far enough away from the leg wing to avoid damage) so a new vendor is appreciated. This is particularly the case if we can get consistently high quality product with reliable burn times and consistent amounts of smoke output without the same heat/burn problems that we've had.

To the original poster - if you can ship to Massachusetts, and I can do so safely, I'll gladly demo and get video of a wingsuiter using your smoke.

Can you tell us a bit about the good quality smokes you had and were they came from?
The wingsuit flight sounds real cool. Let me know when you have concluded it's doable safely.
And for God's sake, you folks be careful! I have lost ONE HALF of my airshow friends to fatal accidents. One ocean of tears is enough.

ill bite, how much per canister and how much to ship to CA

We'll have firm prices this week.
For CA, we will have to make a deal with someone licensed to "import" pyro into that state. One customer in Iowa spend $7000 per year to do pyro biz in CA. The next time one of your politicos claims to want "jobs" in CA, puke on your shoes. Or his/hers.

ill bite, how much per canister and how much to ship to CA

We'll have firm prices this week.
For CA, we will have to make a deal with someone licensed to "import" pyro into that state. One customer in Iowa spend $7000 per year to do pyro biz in CA. The next time one of your politicos claims to want "jobs" in CA, puke on your shoes. Or his/hers.

Oh. We'll have to list those prices on my site and/or send them by PM.
A hotgirl mod pointed out some advert rules. 588 jumps! She has a lot more sand than I do. Skydiving scares me. I'll stick to running into burning buildings full of explosive chemicals and fireworks and burning all the skin off my back. Skydiving looks dangerous to my wimpy self.