JohnRich

When all AAD's are banned, what will you do?

... From everything I've been told its irresponsible not to jump with one. Guess that's just the environment of being new to the sport
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

And THIS is the real problem. A generation of newer skydivers who have been brainwashed into believing that jumping w/out an AAD is as dangerous as jumping w/out a reserve.

An AAD can save your life. It can also kill you. Let me decide whether I want one, and don't tell me I can't jump w/out an AAD simply because YOU don't feel comfortable doing so.

Cheers,
Jon S.

Let me decide whether I want one, and don't tell me I can't jump w/out an AAD simply because YOU don't feel comfortable doing so.

Unless your the DZO. After all, it's his/her ass on the line. I've no problems with a dzo making their dz a mandatory AAD dz. I may not like it, but it's their call.
Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

I only have an aad incase I become knocked out or incapacitated.

I spent my first 400 witbout one and wouldnt hesitate to jump without one again. I still don't turn it in for hop n pops and forget to turn it on here and there.

I bought one cause as someone else has said, I'd be pretty pissed at myself if I went in without one and had 1400$ in the bank.

Bet you'll be pissed at your CYPRES if you lose altitude awareness and it saves you anyway.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Bet you'll be pissed at your CYPRES if you lose altitude awareness and it saves you anyway.

I have a Vigil, which is besides the point.

And if that happens it's probably time to quit skydiving because if you can't follow rule #1 ... B|

I'll skip over the BS AAD-pushing argument.

I'm glad to see that only 3 out of 100 people say they would actually quit jumping without one. Those three people it could be argued probably shouldn't be jumping anyway, if that's the only thing keeping them in the sport.

A little quick to judge, aren't we?

What about the father/mother who promised their spouse/kids never to jump without one?

What about the sixteen year old who is allowed to skydive, but only on the condition that they use an AAD?

What about the people who finance their jumping doing tandems?

The list goes on and on and on and is every bit as ridiculous as your argument:)

And apparently all those people that advocate so heavily in favor of them, are perfectly willing to do without if left no other option at all. Go figure.

Fixed it for you.

Me, I'd use a 9000 ft. static-line. :ph34r:
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

I'm glad you take your risk management equation and apply it to everyone.

Look, AAD's are a great thing for the sport. You're a fool if you rely on them, but certainly not foolish if you think twice about jumping without one.

Some of us have others to think about. My two hands work great for getting a parachute out, until they don't.

Nothing wrong with deciding to stay on the ground without an AAD. To tell folks they shouldn't be jumping with one because of that stance is ridiculous.
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

More interesting is what affect would that have on AFF instruction?

and tandem :)

I don't think whufo tandem passengers know anything about AAD's and don't make their decision to jump based upon that. What makes it easy for them is having that experienced tandem instructor there to do everything for them - that's the big selling point. If you removed the AAD, I don't think it would affect the tandem business much.

It might make the tandem instructors more anxious, however.

Nothing wrong with deciding to stay on the ground without an AAD.

Certainly not. And yet 97% of the people responding to the poll say they would jump anyway. So apparently having an AAD is not a make-or-break deciding factor in jumping.

Did you honestly think it was? Virtually all the whuffos who first decide to take up skydiving do so without knowing that things called AADs even exist, let alone what they do. It only when they find out that AADs stack the odds a bit more in favour of surviving your next jump that they decide using one might be a good idea. Which for most people, they are.

And no safety-concious, responsible parachuting organisation would knowingly ban a device which is proven to save lives. It just wouldn't happen. If it did, there would be a new parachuting association spring up to take it's place that didn't ban AADs. I'd even do it myself if no one else would. In fact the exact opposite is happening. DZs and some parachuting governing bodies are insisting on AADs for some or even all of the skydivers in their jurisdiction.

That leaves law suits and they could be a problem. It's a shame that some people think that suing an AAD manufacturer is a good idea. In this case, suing all the AAD manufacturers out of business could well cost lives.

That said, if law suits do get out of hand, I bet we see AAD manufacturers becoming 'uninsured' AAD manufacturers with huge disclaimers willing to close the doors permanently at the first sign of a lawyer. Or simply not selling to countries that have a history of bringing lawsuits. It would be a shame for safety and the good of skydiving in general if that were allowed to happen.

Basically, the chances of AADs being banned or eliminated from the market is about the same as the entire tandem skydiving industry being shut down. Not gonna happen.

It's semantics, but I would phrase that as 'unlikely' to happen, but it IS possible...in both scenarios.

In the unlikely event of 1/2 a dozen people going in a few months in a row 'because' of faulty AAD's I think you would see some action to discontinue their use (in the current form).

Just as the industry was close to losing the tandem waiver because of dropping a couple students out of the harness...IF that would have continued for any length of time the tandems 'would' have gone away.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Nothing wrong with deciding to stay on the ground without an AAD.

Certainly not. And yet 97% of the people responding to the poll say they would jump anyway. So apparently having an AAD is not a make-or-break deciding factor in jumping.

Did you honestly think it was? Virtually all the whuffos who first decide to take up skydiving do so without knowing that things called AADs even exist, let alone what they do. It only when they find out that AADs stack the odds a bit more in favour of surviving your next jump that they decide using one might be a good idea. Which for most people, they are.

Besides, as I tried to point out earlier, the poll is too black and white: Quit jumping, or jump without an AAD.

Perhaps a better question would be along the lines of:
What will you do while your AAD is sent in for maintenance?
* Jump without an AAD
* Rent an AAD
* Stay on the ground until you have your gear back
* Other (please explain)
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

I jumped before AADs and have no problems jumping after them....

.....well not jumping after them ...... if they are thrown out of a plane, for exapmple... but jumping after they've been banned

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I spent my first 400 witbout one and wouldnt hesitate to jump without one again. I still don't turn it in for hop n pops and forget to turn it on here and there.

I bought one cause as someone else has said, I'd be pretty pissed at myself if I went in without one and had 1400$ in the bank.

Wouldn't you be pissed if you went in on a H & P with your AAD turned off?:P

More interesting is what affect would that have on AFF instruction?

We'd certainly have to rewrite some BSR's, wouldn't we? :S

I really don't think we'll ever reach this scenario that John is suggesting. Sure, there's a few problems with AAD's, but those can be worked out. AAD's are too good of a safety device, like seat belts and air bags, to go away.

BTW, my first 2500+ jumps were without. :)

Let me decide whether I want one, and don't tell me I can't jump w/out an AAD simply because YOU don't feel comfortable doing so.

Unless your the DZO. After all, it's his/her ass on the line...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Why?

This is THE point here. Why should a DZO's ass be on the line? When did we decide that a business owner is responsible for the safety of his customers?

The DZO agrees to provide a safe ride to altitude and a place to land. He never claimed to be able to control the actions of the people who pay him for that ride.

Technically, I would agree that the DZO has the "right" to operate his business as he sees fit. If this means manatory AAD use, fine. He's just eliminated a sizeable chunk of potential customers, in addition to helping create a mind-set among newer jumpers that jumping w/out an AAD is a serious breach of ethics & safety.

However, this principle applies to all business owners. If a resturant owner decides not to do business with black people, he should have that right simply as a matter of private property rights. Whatever the consequences of such a decision, this should not result in a courtroom appearance.

Don't tell me you're only looking out for my safety (by requiring an AAD) while you dig a swoop pond and encourage your customers to jump tiny little mains that will kill them if they drop a toggle on the flare.

In nearly 30 years I can count on one hand how often I was in freefall below 2000' and I always knew where I was.

The real lesson here is: What ever happened to altitude awareness?

Cheers,
Jon