Jeth

horseshoe -> baglock = 1st cutaway

Yep, I had my first cutaway on jump #57. And it was quite an experience. The good news is, I'm here to write this. The bad news is, it could've all been prevented with a pin check. [:/]

So its my 2nd jump of the day, my 1st 6-way. I checked my rig before I put in on and it was fine. In the plane, we did have to do some jostling around to make room for a couple people. Before the door opens I get on my knees to do my usual gear check - buckles, rings, handles, hackey. Sometimes I get my pin checked. In this case, I didn't because I didn't know the guy behind me and I knew he was another rookie and I didn't want him messing up my flaps. (I have an uncommon container at my dz so nobody is used to my flaps and I get worried that someone won't close them right.) So I just reached back and felt that my flap was closed (it is velcroed).
So then its time to exit. There are 3 + camera outside, and 3 inside. I am in the front (don't know the name of that slot). The 3rd inside guy is supposed to dive out after us. He is directly behind me. There is a 2-way RW behind him. So we exit. While we're still on the slide, people start to break apart. The guy who's wrists I am holding all of a sudden reaches over towards me. The next thing I know I feel like I am deploying.
What actually happened is my container was open in the door. There were several people in the back of the plane yelling and screaming to pull me back in -- but no one did. Apparently the guy in my group right behind me saw it when we were at count 2, and yelled at me, but I didn't hear anything cuz my head was already out. The people in the back say that they saw it before we were even done climbing out. They said that the flaps were completely open and as I was exiting my bag was falling out of the tray. Anyway, you can clearly see the horseshoe on the video. Right after exit my bag is bouncing around over me while my p/c is still in the pouch. So what happened was that guy who I was docked with grabbed my hackey and threw it out. (Thanks, Al! You are the man!!) So this is the point I figure out what is wrong. I get pulled upright, and I am looking up at a very twisted baglock. I start to pull down on the risers, and try to pull them apart. Its not working. Then I get thrown on my back -- thats when I was the most freaked. At that moment I decided I'd had enough of that shit so I looked down, put 2 hands on my handle and yanked. Before I could even pull silver, my RSL had deployed my reserve. Even tho I was on my back, it was a clean deployment. Something did smack me in the face, I had a small cut and a fat lip. I'm not sure what that was, maybe the riser? Anyway, so there I am at 11 grand under my beautiful white reserve. At that moment I am totally pumped with adreneline. I take a couple seconds to gather myself and then I look around. I don't see my bag falling anywhere around me. I also realize I am pretty far west. I guess the uppers were hauling cuz we had exited in a pretty good spot. But I figured since I was at 11k I could get back. Well, just my luck, I couldn't. I was pretty shaken up and just wanted to get down, but I didn't want to burn any altitude till I was safely across the river. Well, I never got there. I was heading into the wind, and I was barely moving. So when, at 4 grand, I was still not close to the river, I decided I wasn't going to try to cross it. I looked around for the best spot. I picked a corn field inbetween 2 roads. To get there I just had to get over the interstate. By now I'm at 3 grand. I am just going "please, please get me across the damn freeway!" Finally I get over it and I am feeling better. I pick my target right in the center of the corn so I'm not too close to the other road if I overshoot. I did a few s-turns and then landed hard in the corn. I was somewhat cross-wind and got dragged on my back for a bit. But I landed. And I wasn't hurt. Geezus.

The wonderful pilot of the next load was already circling over me when I got up. I waved at the plane and it kept circling till I started walking out. By the time I got out of the corn there was already a couple guys from the dz there waiting for me. (BTW, I never caught your names but thank you so much guys!!)

So there it is. My first cutaway. I think it was a doozy for the first one. I think the worst part was with the premature opening, I was caught totally off-guard. I always expected a mal to happen when I am deploying, not right after exit. And then having to land off made it worse. And the icing on the cake is I lost all my shit. Not a good day. [:/]

But the goods news is I was offered a rig by a wonderful person named Sunshine, so I got back on the horse the next day. I had 4 great jumps after my chop, and it was great to be back in the sky. :) (FYI - my canopy was a very lightly loaded F-111 and I like the smaller ZP better. ;))

So 1st off -- thank god that nobody was hurt. It could've been much, much worse. 2nd -- here is the lesson to be learned kiddies -- GET A DAMN PIN CHECK!!! EVERY TIME!!! Everyone said I did a good job with the situation and doing my EP's, but it could've probably all been avoided if I had just asked that guy behind me to check my pins. God damn you fucking idiot (me). >:(

Even though it flew like shit, my reserve did its job and got me down safe. I am really glad I got back in the air and had some great jumps after this one. I did have some extra nerves, but I think they will pass the more good jumps I have. Thank you so much to everyone who came up to me to offer support, give me a pat on the back, or help me look for my stuff. You all are awesome people. :)
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

If you happen to get your hands on the video, I'd be interested in seeing it. Upload it to www.skydivingmovies.com if you have it.

Good job not dying, glad to hear it worked out. :)
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Thanks. Ya, I have it. I gotta capture it from VHS and then I'll upload it.

You have someone jumping a VHS CamCorder for you? Cool!:D

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

DEFINITELY a valuable lesson to learn, especially at 11k and not 2.5k. I remember my first trip away from my home DZ to Z-Hills, I was surprised not everybody asked for a pin check. I didn't hesitate give someone a tap and point.

Well done on response and especially cool that you got back in the saddle again.

When you get your next rig, with that smaller, snazzy ZP main.....invest in a higher WLoaded reserve, preferably PD. You will make it back AND have a soft landing!

oh-yeah.....B-E-E-R!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it was a doozy for the first one

I'll say! Sounds like you coped with it well, though. 11 grand under a reserve. Holy pie! :P

You might want to have a rigger take a look at your container. Better yet, beg, borrow, steal and ditch it for something new. Velcro on a main pin just doesn't cut it these days.

As you say, it could have been worse. Open container before exit: similar incidents have taken whole planes down.

Blue skies,
ian

"where danger is appears also that which saves ..." Friedrich Holderlin, 'Patmos'

2nd -- here is the lesson to be learned kiddies -- GET A DAMN PIN CHECK!!! EVERY TIME!!!

I would add keep your closing loop tight and replace it early and often. Be very careful with your rig once it is on your back, protect your pins.

Did you get your main or free-bag back?

Derek

But the goods news is I was offered a rig by a wonderful person named Sunshine, so I got back on the horse the next day.

Congrats on handling yourself quite well!

And, Sunshine is a DZ.com regular and she's like my sister from another mister.;) I'm not at all surprised that she helped you out.

Along with getting a pin-check, make sure you always make sure your closing loop is tight. The Dolphin isn't that complicated a rig for someone to pin-check, either.

Were you able to find your main?
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Congrats on being cool and handling the situation so well!

Thank you very much for the story! A good lesson for all of us.

Be safe and blue skies!

Good job! :)
My heart's beating faster just reading about it. Bump with the movie name when its uploaded! ;)

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

Were you able to find your main?

Unfortunately she lost her main, her handle, and her freebag. But i'm happy as hell she only lost that crap instead of losing her life. The next day she got right back in the air. She handled it great!!

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Thanks, Sunny! You rock!! I really, really appreciated you offering your rig to help me get back up there. :)
To everyone else who asked -- yup, I lost everything. :( But I am alive and so is everyone else on that load, so thats the most important thing. As far as the closing loop, I have had to adjust it several times as my pack jobs have gotten smaller. But this one was very tight, I barely got it closed. Thats why I was so surprised that it came out.

On the pin checks -- I learned my lesson. But I still see many, many people who don't do it. Of all the people who I jumped with after this, only 2 got pin checks. I realize rookies who pack themselves may be more likely to have a loose loop, but this can happen to anyone. Be safe out there people. Thanks everyone for your nice comments. :)
PFRX!!!!!
My Jump Site

Nice job ;)

What a story, whew!

What kind of reserve did you fly which "flew like shit"?

My reserve is a brand new Tempo 170. It definitely didn't handle very well -- I got no penetration and I had to bury the toggle just to get turned around. I think it probably would've worked better if it was loaded higher (as someone suggested). But it got me down, and thats what its supposed to do. :)
PFRX!!!!!
My Jump Site

Glad you are okay Beth. Good idea to upload the video - it was educational to watch.

I had a great time jumping with you yesterday. You can bet you'll be getting pin checks every other time we jump together too!

Teach the people in your group to check your pin before you put your rig on and then we can do it on the plane.

Well behaved women rarely make history - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

I have an uncommon container at my dz so nobody is used to my flaps and I get worried that someone won't close them right.

What's weird about a Dolphin? And it's one flap to check the main pin -- what's there to screw up?
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

I am an AFF instructor at a very busy DZ and as far as I can tell the only instructor that I know of to teach students the importance of a pin check to the point that I actually have my students pin check me on the airplane under direct supervision at first then unsupervised when they are ready. The horseshoe malfunction is quite hard to teach and even harder to get experienced skydivers to appreciate the severity of this situation (due to complacency?) that can be totally avoided with good gear maintenance and a visual pin check before exiting the airplane. I have read incident reports of dead skydivers who may not have died the way they did had they received a visual pin check before exit rather than going without or reaching back to self check, I have yet to read an incident report of a fatality being caused by getting a pin check. I understand that you did not know the jumper that was in the best position to give you a pin check, I have been in the same situation before where my only options were to jump with out a pin check or to let someone I did not know very well or knew was a low time jumper give me a pin check. I have in the past done both - gone without and gotten the check. Knowing what I know now, I get the check every time.

Glad you made it and that things worked out for you, especially that your buddy was there to deploy your pilot chute for you, it could have gotten a lot nastier.

Mykel
AFF-I05
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

I have an uncommon container at my dz so nobody is used to my flaps and I get worried that someone won't close them right.

What's weird about a Dolphin? And it's one flap to check the main pin -- what's there to screw up?

Well my flap tucks under and then velcro's (The velcro is under the lip of the top flap). The bridle is under the velcroed part. I had a guy one time who was opening it and caught the bridle and almost pulled it out. The other scenario is if U just tuck the flap under without knowing where the bridle is, you won't make contact with the velcro so then it won't be closed very well. Every person who does my pin check is a little confused with my flap the first time they see it. So what I should do is show them on the ground and then there will be no confusion in the plane. :)
PFRX!!!!!
My Jump Site

Ya, it is definitely not very re-affirming to hear from instructors and experienced jumpers on the ground "always get a pin check", but then when we're all in the plane none of them do. I would think they should set a good example by doing it themselves.
But I will always have mine checked now. And if I am jumping with a new person, I will make sure they know how to close it right on the ground.
PFRX!!!!!
My Jump Site

but then when we're all in the plane none of them do.

That's a bit of an exaggeration. As someone here said, many people can and do check their own main pin. You may not notice them checking their own pin, so it's a bit irresponsible to say that they are not getting pin checks.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

There may be lots of people who check their own, I am just speaking from what I have seen. I have watched people many times before exit and I don't see them feelng their own pin, or asking someone to check.

But I think the bigger point is those people who directly tell me to get one and then don't do it themselves. But its a similar situation with other stuff newbies are trying to learn. Like with exit separation. Many people told me I can ask the pilot what the wind speed and ground speed are and then determine how much time to give. I have never seen anyone ask the pilot what the ground speed is. Oh well.
PFRX!!!!!
My Jump Site

The other scenario is if U just tuck the flap under without knowing where the bridle is, you won't make contact with the velcro so then it won't be closed very well.

Route the bridle between the side flaps, leaving all the velcro exposed to mate with the main pin cover flap.

Derek

many people can and do check their own main pin

Is a self pin check adequate?
Is 99% good enough?
Is there any reason not to trust our fellow skydivers?
Can I get just one more jump in before changing my closing loop or cleaning my cables?
Am I ready to try a cool high performance landing?
Do I need to continue to practice EP’s?

For everyone, these answers are different but I really like to eat steak and sleep with my wife, so to better ensure that I get to enjoy my evenings after skydiving I get a visual pin check from another skydiver (often times a student) and subsequently perform a self check on not only my pin but my entire (and well maintained) system before exit. I have visited friends in ICU getting their dinner through a tube in their arm, having machines keep them alive and a nurse to clean the shit from their dirty bottoms because 99% was good enough – it hurts me and I can only imagine how it would affect my loved ones if I were the one laying there. Catastrophe can happen to anyone even if they do all they can, sometimes shit just happens BUT - if I must skydive (and I must) then I (personally) must prepare myself in every conceivable aspect.

Mykel
AFF-I05
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…