charlie5

Landing tips?

I've asked a few coaches at my DZ but I figured I'd ask here too.

Anybody have any tips on how to judge where you're gonna land, specifically before final approach? I still have some difficult pinpointing where I'm gonna touch down while do my approach pattern and often realize I'm too high/low only after I make my final turn to upwind.

I need one more landing within 20m for my AFF course. The SIM's info is okay, but any other tips would be appreciated.
The feather butts bounce off ya like raindrops hitting a battle-star when they come in too fast...kinda funny to watch. - airtwardo

Here's some reading for you:

http://collegeskydiving.com/tips-from-the-pros/canopy-flight/7-tks-accuracy-seminar

http://www.apf.asn.au/Members/Information/Altitude-and-Glide-Assessment/default.aspx

http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/survival.pdf

Also flying a repeatable pattern is key. This means having a plan before you get on the plane. In this way you can make meaningful adjustments on future jumps, eg.

"Last time I turned to final at 300' over point X and overshot the target by 30' so next time I will turn at 300' over a point 30' back from point X."

or perhaps:

"Last time I turned to final at 300' over point X and was right on target, but now the winds are stronger so I will make my turn at 300' but move my turn to final closer to the target as I will get less penetration on final"

You really want to be in the right place for your final turn so that you don't have to make any adjustments on final. This ensures you are flying at full speed at flare time which will give you the most power in your flare.

Talk to your instructors about teaching you how to use the accuracy trick.

Basically while you're under canopy, look out on a 45 degree angle to the ground, and find the point that doesn't move. If you make no other inputs to your canopy, and the wind doesn't change, you should land on that exact spot. If it's not where you want it to be, give your canopy some gentle inputs. A little brakes, or rears, and see what that does to your spot.

You should also consider, to a lesser extent, your body position. How the drag on your body from the relative wind will affect how far you can fly; ie. lifting your legs/making yourself small, will reduce the drag from the wind on your body and should allow your canopy to fly more efficiently.

Talk to your instructors about trying some of these tips in the air, and see if they help. It'll also come with practice.

Good luck! :)

PULL!! or DIE!!

Thanks for the links, those are really helpful! One coach told me to use my foot, similar to the finger trick, to see if things are rising or falling.

Is it saturday yet? Lol
The feather butts bounce off ya like raindrops hitting a battle-star when they come in too fast...kinda funny to watch. - airtwardo

Thanks for the links, those are really helpful! One coach told me to use my foot, similar to the finger trick, to see if things are rising or falling.

Is it saturday yet? Lol

Charlie - I will be out this weekend for the PD course. If you have questions I will be happy to chat with you about canopy flight.

Are you taking the course? PM me if you wanna talk more.

Good stuff here - with the best advice (and action on your part) being to do the course.

One more thing I didn't see mentioned. The tactic of finding the non-moving spot is very good; but be aware that the spot will change as you descend into lesser (or stronger) winds and your drive (glide angle) changes.

What that tactic is doing is bringing your instinctual visual cues into the forefront - making them a conscious mechanical effort. You are breaking down and paying attention to the cues that will later be used to perform without having to consciously run thru all the steps.

Kind of like walking. At first it takes much effort, and you maybe have to think about each step. After enough repititions and time spent consciously thinking about the mechanics you no longer have to look at your feet and decide what to do - you simply walk.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley