horizon_hunter

Letting go!

Hi everyone. I'm new to the Skydiving scene so be gentle with me. I plan to my AFF next year with the Solo/Static Line Jump included in the price. I did my first Tandem last week. My question is how easy or difficult is it to let go of the plane doing the Static Line Jump? What goes through your head?
"It is only when we've lost everything, that we're free to do anything"

From my experience, letting go of the plane is pretty easy. For my first jump I was jumping from a Cessna 182 with a strut, so I was hanging off it with my feet dangling in the breeze. Letting go was pretty much the only option once I got to that point, so I just exhaled and then relaxed my hands.

Climbing out of the airplane was a little more difficult mentally; I was nervous and excited, of course, but it was a mix of determination to follow orders and confidence in my instructor that got me out the door.
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

Hi there!

Welcome to the addiction. It might depend on the type of aircraft, and the exit they'll have you do. My first jump was from a Cessna 206, and you had to PUSH yourself out of that airplane. 182 'exits' might be easier, but the climbout can be tough. You can try and see what kind of aircraft you'll be jumping from the 'Dropzone' link here.

As for what goes through your head, I think that's different for everybody. For me, it was 'HOLY SHIT!' :ph34r: Let us know what goes through yours :)

PULL!! or DIE!!

ah yes thats Skydive Ireland. Ive been jumping in northern ireland at the Wild Geese- only DZ up here- when you qualify come up and say hello, have jump and a beer :)
Dudeist Skydiver #170
You do not need a parachute to skydive, you only need one to skydive again

I've put out hundreds (maybe thousands, I don't log student numbers) of S/L students over the last 20+ years.
How easy it is seems to depend mostly on your level of confidence in yourself and your instruction.
If you believe that your training has been thorough and you are ready, it's a lot easier.
The most important thing in a S/L jump is to hold the arch, no matter how much some part of your brain wants to panic, flail, swim, go fetal, etc.
Holding an arch will eliminate about 99% of the potential for malfunctions when doing S/L.
To quote the preacher "YOU'VE GOT TO BELIEVE!!!!!"
Good luck and have fun.
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.