FL_new_jumper

Jumping with friends doing tandems

I realize this is a dorky noob question but....

I am an AFF student and was wondering what the rules are for licensed jumpers jumping with tandems. I have friends / loved ones who want to jump tandem and I would LOVE to jump with them (not as the instructor obviously) just to at least be near them in freefall.

I was just wondering if there are rules against this.. it it DZ specific.. has anyone done it?

Go with them in the same airplane, sit in front of them, do a solo jump and get our right before them. If they have video, ask the videoflyer to film your exit too, and maybe your landing as well.

Until you have >500 jumps + the permission of the TM and the videoflyer if any, that is the best you can do, and really your friends will think it's very cool to see you jump out right in front. Wave goodbye for the video and/or do a tucked frontflip out the door and they'll ooh and aah at you just as much as if you were with them in freefall :)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

A tandem is a sitting duck in freefall. They can't do much to maneuver or protect themselves. Between the skytrash that is strapped in front of them, and the drogue, there isn't much they can do to protect themselves from someone else in freefall. Beyond that, priority number 1 for the TM is going to be the safety of the student (and their own safety).

Some of the skills to even get to a tandem are not simple skills (exit, dive, approach, dock ect.). I've seen (and shot) plenty of video of people who thought they knew what they were doing and causing dangerous situations. Blasting past the tandem, getting in their burble, hitting the drogue, etc.).

For this reason, you shouldn't even think about going out with a tandem until your skills are rock solid doing that type of approach.

Even without the USPA rec's, many tandem TM's won't let someone swoop them unless they know them or know their skill level.

I used to chase tandems and it was a lot of fun, especially when it was someone you know. They take some flying talent but it can be done relatively safely if the right measures are taken.

That said, a few months ago I took an experienced jumper's girlfriend on her first tandem. He asked to go along, said he had done it before a few times out in Deland, and knew where to NOT be (cone of death above and below, etc). I forgot what he said his jump numbers were. You can imagine where this is going. :S

Right before the door opens, I remind him where not to be. He hung from the strut as we exited. Sure enough, we get belly to earth and i look straight up from me and there he is, about 20 feet straight fucking up >:( I made it very obvious to get the hell out of the way, once he was good and clear, the drogue came out uneventfully. It was about 5 seconds total, but it feels like forever in that situation. I'm just glad I looked before blindly tossing it.

Now, no one goes with me unless I know who they are, am 100% confident in their abilities by seeing them fly first hand on several occasions, and they have prior experience in chasing a tandem. That shit's not a joke.

So for now, just get your jump numbers and belly skills up. Be patient with it, the time will come.

"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

"skytrash" can be any skydiver who is out of control, or who doesn't fly well. In this case, I was referring to the "student".

I am not a TI; and I speak from my own experiences as someone who has exited with many hundreds of tandems being paid to shoot video/stills.

I realize some might take the term skytrash as being derogatory for a tandem passenger., and there is validity in that position. It may not be PC, but I've seen "students" without realizing it cause huge problems in freefall that put them and the TI (and video) at risk. I've witnessed many a skilled TI fight tooth and nail to keep the "student" in front of them form putting them in dangerous situations. So it may not be PC, but my comment was meant to demonstrate that TI's have a lot to deal with on the skydive by having someone who doesn't know how to skydive strapped to the front of them.

Go with them in the same airplane, sit in front of them, do a solo jump and get our right before them. If they have video, ask the videoflyer to film your exit too, and maybe your landing as well.

Until you have >500 jumps + the permission of the TM and the videoflyer if any, that is the best you can do, and really your friends will think it's very cool to see you jump out right in front. Wave goodbye for the video and/or do a tucked frontflip out the door and they'll ooh and aah at you just as much as if you were with them in freefall :)

This is what I plan to do with my father when he does his tandem. Of course knowing my father, he'll probably ask if he could skydive in an elevator with his own parachute.

When shooting video I find RW tandems with someone who "really just want's to skydive with their friend" to be the most terrifying jumps. They don't break off at the right time, they run into me, they get into/wreck the video, they go places they shouldn't, they just generally do crazy stuff.

I don't get it.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

When shooting video I find RW tandems with someone who "really just want's to skydive with their friend" to be the most terrifying jumps. They don't break off at the right time, they run into me, they get into/wreck the video, they go places they shouldn't, they just generally do crazy stuff.

I don't get it.

Hi Fast

IMO the reason you don't get it is because your trying to talk some sense to a head of lettuce that wants to argue instead of listening to people with 1000's of jumps when they don't get the answer their looking for.

One yes one no then you have to allocate your limited time to someone that will listen.

The incident reports are filled with people that got busted up" really really bad" because they wouldn't listen.

The dude with 100 jumps that went shoping for a yes after his first no and fell out of his wingsuit is one example, a more recent example is the dude that knew he was ready to swoop, downsize etc in spite everyone telling him otherwise. No one enjoys seeing these people get hurt or killed.

But what can the industry do if they won't listen. A peerson with 4 jumps wants to argue and knows he will stay with the sport:S

I'm not going to waste my time responding to a head of lettuce OTOH Fast your worth my time, you earned it and deserve it.B|

BTW My time isn't worth much:P

R.

We're reading
One Jump Wonder