RevvyAiny

Building Knowledge and Proficiency

Just fell in love with skydiving in August. Have had one training tandem and scheduled another. Now it seems I may not be able to take my first jump course until next season. It has been suggested that I should therefore defer the second training tandem until next season as well. In the meantime, the other jumps I have schedule will be purely for fun (this seems counter productive to me; but that is my problem and I am working on it).

I have a plan for how I will spend the off-season months: Gonna continue to lose wight (dropped 9 pounds once I realized I wanted to seriously engage this sport). Gonna do resistence training to build strength and flexibility.

My question(s): Is there something I can/should do during off season to better prepare me for next year? I have been reading on this forum about safety issues, etc. Is there something else I should be reading? Should I periodically drive from NY to VA (where I believe there is no off season) in order to get my sky groove on?

I would love to hear any suggestions you may have.

It really depends on what your focus in the sport is going to be, but you probably haven't been around in the sport enough yet enough to know that.

That said, on EVERY skydive you ever make there is one particular skill you absolutely must make use of -- landing your canopy.

My suggestion is the first thing you do after going through your AFF course is to get basic canopy coaching and really learn to land that thing.

What should you be doing now more than anything; saving your money. You're going to need a big bucket of it.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

You might find Section 4 of the USPA Skydiver Information Manual (SIM) to be a helpful thing to read this winter.

http://www.uspa.org/SIM.aspx

The SIM is available four ways: on-line reading web page, as a pdf, as a smart phone app, and on paper too!

You might find this online First Jump Course useful too!

http://skydiveschool.org/

If you have time and money... coached time in a vertical wind tunnel is both very fun and very helpful!
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

i went to paraclete wind tunnel in NC during the off season to practice all the AFF skills, did 15 mins in the tunnel and when it was jumping season again i flew through the rest of AFF. it made a big difference for me, but if you go get a coach and tell them you want to practice AFF things (turns, ups and downs, falling stable while in the pull position, etc) also save your money because it adds up quick! good luck!
"its just a normal day at the dropzone until its not"

I appreciate the wisdom. Am taking it to heart. Its easier said than done, however. Feel like I'm in love, engaged, but cannot get the fella to set a date. Or maybe like a kid waiting for Christmas morning? Don't know which analogy is most accurate. Anyway, guess I'll just take a few breaths, do what I can do for now and let the future unfold.

I completely understand what you are saying. I started this summer, and had a LOT of hurdles to pass. Now that the midwest winter is upon me, I'm trying to find the best ways to stay engaged and not lose what I got. A license in 2012- here I come!

Don't know about you - but I"ll continue watching this site, videos of my previous jumps, and stay connected with new found friends. Starting first weekend in April- get the rig on my back and let me pack a chute!!!

I find I come to this site when I am experiencing withdrawal. ;)

Got my winter plan solidified. And when one's life is arranged around the Christian calendar, and ministry plans, goals and objectives, time flies by. Christmas was last week and Easter is tomorrow. So even though the season is ending, I'll be back in the air before I know it.

It has been suggested that I should therefore defer the second training tandem until next season as well. In the meantime, the other jumps I have schedule will be purely for fun (this seems counter productive to me; but that is my problem and I am working on it).

If I understand correctly you have a "training" tandem scheduled, but are planning on doing "fun" tandems in the interim?

If that is correct use the tandems to learn. If your current tandem instructor is not prepared to use the jumps to teach, I suggest you ask here as some of the TI's are eager to do so.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.