GLIDEANGLE

Requirements to freefly?

Only if you find the right coach. He or she may be able to instruct you without the proper facial piercings, but only if you really commit to it. Also, don't believe them when they tell you that you get a cookie for going to the dark side. The cookie is a lie. [:/]

:D:D:D

Only if you find the right coach. He or she may be able to instruct you without the proper facial piercings, but only if you really commit to it. Also, don't believe them when they tell you that you get a cookie for going to the dark side. The cookie is a lie. [:/]

YMMV, but I've always found that the cake is a lying whore. :(

Do I have to have facial piercings BEFORE I learn to freefly?

Can I wait on getting the piercings until after I can sitfly well?

;););)

Silly question. Of course you MUST have the facial piercings first. It's technically a issue of aerodynamics. The piercings provide some sort of air deflection, which is why you can also only FF in an open face helmet. :P
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

You don't need facial piercings, you just have to be cool. If you have to wonder if you're cool enough or not, then you're probably not. :P:)

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

You don't need facial piercings, you just have to be cool. If you have to wonder if you're cool enough or not, then you're probably not. :P:)

Hi Mama

OTOH Just because you know your cool, look cool, you could just have a ego issue and your fooling yourself and some of the wanna be's.:)
Damn this sounds like HS. or middle school:$

Mr Strong is and will always be cool. Mr Sparky and Mr T and Mr Spot, Snake and some other's will always be cool to name just a few of the people that I define as cool.

Billy Bob and John Boy to name a few are not cool in my book.

I know no one cares what I think, and I'm cool with that to:ph34r:

R.
One Jump Wonder

>You don't need facial piercings . . .

True, enough tattoos can compensate for a lack of facial piercings. But all the color coordination, tie dyed fabrics and edgy T-shirt sayings in the world can't compensate for the lack of both.

and for beginners, it helps to be:

1 - unable to even dock on a stable base during belly flying and simultaneously;
2 - talk loudly about about RW being 'too easy'

the conflict adds to the artistic temperament needed for one hoping to backslide super fast in their sitflying while picking snot dregs out of the nostril piercing

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

True, enough tattoos can compensate for a lack of facial piercings. But all the color coordination, tie dyed fabrics and edgy T-shirt sayings in the world can't compensate for the lack of both.

I find that super complicated handshakes and rituals before exit often make up for the lack of piercings. Only when combined with matching gear, obviously.

I find that super complicated handshakes and rituals before exit often make up for the lack of piercings. Only when combined with matching gear, obviously.

Hence why 4way jumpers are cool.

Well, some of us are anyway.B|
Remster

I used to make fun of belly fliers for dirt diving......until I caught myself dirt diving my swoop. Oops.

I used to make fun of belly fliers for dirt diving......until I caught myself dirt diving my swoop. Oops.

We're not dirt diving, we're dancing :P And just using it as an excuse to touch each other & hold hands.

Eh, I think freeflying jumped the shark when VFS came into play.:P

True story - waiting out a weather hold at Nationals last year. The DZ finally started putting up loads, but the first couple loads of the day were non-comp loads (since they needed to give the first teams appropriate notice/prep time before the first round).

Standing around wondering when the first 4-way FS teams were going up, guy standing near me points across the hangar and says "Oh, there, it looks like the first teams are down."

I looked over then said "Look closer." The team in question was a 4-way VFS team that had gone up to do a practice jump. But other than the child-sized rigs and lack of booties, at a quick glance ... they looked very familiar. :D:D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Eh, I think freeflying jumped the shark when VFS came into play.

A swing and a miss! :P

I saw, with my own 2 eyes, freeflyers dirt diving at a boogie, and even using a white board to plan their dives.. back in 2000. Now, they were French, so obviously more advanced than you yanks... ;)
Remster

Eh, I think freeflying jumped the shark when VFS came into play.

Believe it or not, we actually do plan dives before we go up, with points and everything. And I don't even do VFS! Now, the likelihood that all those points getting accomplished is pretty low, but we still deserve a ribbon for trying hard. :P
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

We're not dirt diving, we're dancing :P And just using it as an excuse to touch each other & hold hands.

Honest to god, as a student the first time I saw a group of belly flyers dirt diving an 8+ way one Sunday morning at the DZ, I thought they were doing some weird group prayer ritual. Later I learned that, in fact, they were.

I love it when I show up to a new boogie and right away everyone assumes I am a freeflyer.

No, actually I am here for the bigway FS. :ph34r:

I love the fact that Douggs, the most tattooed, pierced, BASE jumping all around loose unit in the box, is a 4-way champion and former national 8-way team member with thousands of flat jumps :)
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I love it when I show up to a new boogie and right away everyone assumes I am a freeflyer.

No, actually I am here for the bigway FS. :ph34r:

I love the fact that Douggs, the most tattooed, pierced, BASE jumping all around loose unit in the box, is a 4-way champion and former national 8-way team member with thousands of flat jumps :)
he's also a GUN freeflier, an outstanding Tracker, and bloody good camera jumper :)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?