GooniesKid

B Lic Req

I have a friend who has a friend that already has an A lic. this friend of a friend has all the requirements done for a B lic except the water training. However, this friend of a friend is a terrible swimmer and can't tread water well. Do you know if this friend of a friend can do a water training course in a shallow pool; like 5ft deep?

GooniesKid

I have a friend who has a friend that already has an A lic. this friend of a friend has all the requirements done for a B lic except the water training. However, this friend of a friend is a terrible swimmer and can't tread water well. Do you know if this friend of a friend can do a water training course in a shallow pool; like 5ft deep?

Can he handle 6ft?

SIM:

1. Wet training
a. should be conducted following a class on theory
b. should take place in a suitable environment such
as a swimming pool, lake, or other body of water
at least six feet deep

c. meets the USPA B license training requirements
for intentional water landings
Owned by Remi #?

Exactly what i was looking for...citing directly from SIM.

I think he can handle 6ft..it's not that he can't swim or tread water it's just that he isn't the best swimmer or treader.

To become scuba instructor certified (so that I can teach film crews how to safely conduct underwater operations) i had to tread water for 15 minutes but also had to tread water with all my gear, with the BC DEFLATED, for 5 minutes then swim 400 yards with the BC still deflated with an additional 10 lbs of lead..that sucked but we all made it through

I think he can handle 6ft..it's not that he can't swim or tread water it's just that he isn't the best swimmer or treader.

The course should have spotters / lifeguards watching non-swimmers. Just tell your friend to tell his friend to let the instructor know he can't swim well ;)
Owned by Remi #?

labrys

The course should have spotters / lifeguards watching non-swimmers. Just tell your friend to tell his friend to let the instructor know he can't swim well ;)

Yes, letting the instructor know is REALLY helpful!

What I have done with folks like this is that I have them get in the water last. They get to see everyone else be successful first. Then I dismiss all but the last one. Then I can work slowly with the last one, without an audience, until they are able to complete the task successfully. This has worked well.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

GLIDEANGLE

Yes, letting the instructor know is REALLY helpful!

Indeed. Watched a swimming pool water trainee almost drown once, because he couldn't swim. And he didn't tell anyone he couldn't swim. He jumped in, the canopy was pulled over top of him, he went to the bottom, and stayed there... We all thought he was holding his breath and messing with us. Nope, he was drowning. The lifeguard finally realized something was wrong and jumped in and saved his ass.

So yes, please let the instructors know so that they can be ready. The life you save may be your own.

His poor skills are even more reason he should do the training in realistic conditions. While unintentional water landings are rare they are deadly.

Going last may add confidence but ISN'T realistic. The canopy and rig are wet/saturated. Packed dry reserves will may provide some flotation. A dry canopy will hold air and be much easier to get out from under. A dry jumpsuit (I used to make the student take off a jumpsuit. Of course a wing war suit:P) Have him try to have a separate rig so he doesn't go first but it is dry. He should have a PFD and use it as instructed. Lots of inflatables available now that they are CG approved. Worth burning a cartridge. I'll leave the rest for his class.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

havoc996

Having been a lifeguard for years and been witness to my fair share of near drownings and body recoveries I finally have something to add as a newb. This article should be required reading for anyone doing any type of water training.

http://mariovittone.com/2010/05/154/

This is a very good article. I grew up on the water and my son starting boating when he was 9 months old. I have had a couple scares when I couldn't find him while parked on an island but he really is a good swimmer.

Anyway despite the countless hours I have spent on the water that article was very informative reading.

Thanks
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

havoc996

Having been a lifeguard for years and been witness to my fair share of near drownings and body recoveries I finally have something to add as a newb. This article should be required reading for anyone doing any type of water training.

http://mariovittone.com/2010/05/154/

Good read! I'll forward this on over to my friend of a friend

The purpose of the various tests for any Lic is to see if you can safely complete the task. At onetime an actual water jump was required for a D Lic. If your friend does not feel he is able to survive water training he should take steps to learn the skills needed. Just like any of the other requirements needed for the Lic. Dumbing down the requirements is not the answer.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

wicodefly

Might be a good idea for your friend to take a swimming class or two at the YMCA or something. It's cheap and will help.

OR... a friend of my friends' friend says your friend of a friend shouldn't skydive anywhere within 10 nautical miles of water.