paulca

Afraid of heights

I did a search and this hasn't come up (with my search terms) for at least a year.

Personally, I am afraid of heights. I have a curious variant of it though. First discovered it by climbing to the top of the sports hall gymnastics frame (the one on the wall). I could look down and not be very worried, but if I looked out across the roof, knowing how high up I was, it made my legs go jelly!

Looking out of the plane, however, the ground is just "cartoon distance" away. Even at 3500ft it doesn't look "tangible" and my sense of "fear of heights" does not compute it's in danger.

I was more scared on the PLF fan trainers in the DZ hangar!

Fear of falling to my death is another story!

Paul

My fear of heights is selective depending upon the circumstances.

If I'm in a jump plane, above 2,000', wearing my parachute rig - no fear at all, because I know I'm safe. If I'm out hiking in the wilderness, standing on the edge of a tall cliff where a fall means certain death - heck yeah it scares me.

... Even at 3500ft it doesn't look "tangible" and my sense of "fear of heights" does not compute it's in danger.

This is exactly where the difference lies. At that altitude one has no perception of depth, as opposed to standing on a high ledge, ladder or roof. It presents a completely different sensation to the mind.

I agree with most of the posts here.

I agree that in the door I feel no (unreasonable) fear. But on the roof when I'm cleaning out the gutters or something similar, I'm acutely aware of the dangers I face.

When I have the right safety gear on (rig in the aircraft or safety harness in a workplace setting) I'm cool.

I wonder how I'd feel next to that door at 13,500, WITHOUT a rig on.

:o

Elvisio "sucked up the couch cushion just sitting here thinking about it" Rodriguez

Def scared of imminent dangers (roofs, nasty switchbacks, cycling on elevated roads, etc...). Point about 13.5k being cartoonish is dead on, though flying a cessna at 1500 ft can be interesting (no rig).

Initially when I did my tandem I wasn't worried about the height or the landing, just sensory overload and being generally freaked out.

Yup. Afraid of heights big time. Put me on a ladder or a roof or something like that and I have trouble. I helped a friend do a roof a few years back. Everyone laughed that I jump out of planes, and had a lot of difficulty transitioning from the roof to the ladder and back.

Altitude is a different story. No problems there.
Either in the plane, jumping out or under canopy.

Part of it is something a counselor pointed out to me a long time ago: I'm not so much afraid of heights as I am afraid of edges.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Vertigo sucks!

Well, for me, I'm very scared of heights--if I'm attached to the ground. Always have been.

Do NOT ask me to walk to the edge of any building. It could be 70 stories or only one. I have done it numerous times, but only to prove to myself I could.

I'm never afraid of heights in any aircraft, though. The fact that I'm not attached to the ground means there is no perspective, so things just look small.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Part of it is something a counselor pointed out to me a long time ago: I'm not so much afraid of heights as I am afraid of edges.

Forget that, I'm afraid of the ground. If I'm on it or thousands of feet above it I'm fine, it's that grey middle area that's the problem. Still like looking over the edge of tall things for kicks though :D

Yup. Afraid of heights big time. Put me on a ladder or a roof or something like that and I have trouble. I helped a friend do a roof a few years back. Everyone laughed that I jump out of planes, and had a lot of difficulty transitioning from the roof to the ladder and back.

Altitude is a different story. No problems there.
Either in the plane, jumping out or under canopy.

I agree with this 100%. An extension ladder, roof, or edge scares the living shit out of me. Flying (cessna or airline) jumping, or roller coasters don't scare me. I too get laughs when I say that I'm scared of heights but jump out of planes.

I too get laughs when I say that I'm scared of heights but jump out of planes.

Try explaining at a team building thing that no you really will not do the climbing wall, and CERTAINLY won't do the abseiling thing, but yes I do have 2000+ skydives.

:|

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Funny someone mentioned standing close to an edge, just to prove to yourself you could. I remember climbing a little rocky "tor" at the top of a mountain and standing looking over the edge... 30ft drop then an 800ft slope.

My stomach felt sick, and I was standing in a way I knew if I became unstable I could fall backwards, not over the edge.

But when I said to the person beside me that I was afraid of heights, they just looked at me like I was nuts and said, "Are you mad, what are you doing climbing up and standing here then?"

"Because I can. Fear can be conquered".

I've never been afraid of heights, in fact as a little kid I would climb to the top of an old oak tree and swing from side to side, rocking and swaying in the wind. A few times people asked me what I was thinking or made a comment about how crazy or brave I was.

There was a time when I looked over the edge of an eight story building and got that insanely strong sensation as I looked down but I'm not sure I'd call that fear. I knew I didn't want to lose my balance or get pushed off by a rouge wind but I really think that was more excitement than fear.

This is a little weird. I'm not afraid of heights, but if I look at pictures taken from heights, or there are scenes in a movie where things are high up, or sometimes when I'm talking about heights, my palms will get sweaty.

They'll get that way a bit in the plane, but I think it's more anxiety or apprehension. I can climb out and hang on the wing strut with no problem. I hate doing it, though. I think that's mostly because it's so unnatural. And windy.

I have a curious variant of it though. First discovered it by climbing to the top of the sports hall gymnastics frame (the one on the wall). I could look down and not be very worried, but if I looked out across the roof, knowing how high up I was, it made my legs go jelly!

I don't think that's weird. When you look out across the ceiling you can see how high up but you are, but you also have less sense of the structure that's supporting you. I guess you're kind of projecting yourself into that exposed space.

For me the worst thing is to be at the top of something tall and look up rather than down. That's guaranteed to make me giddy, as if I'm already falling. It's like turning your back on a threat - once you know it's there, you feel safer if you can keep it in view and it's not getting any closer. ;)

I've always had a fear of heights but I do think skydiving has reduced it a little. Also preparedness and intent make a lot of difference. On my first Bridge Day trip, I felt physically sick looking over a long drop while out hiking in the gorge - but much better standing on the exit ramp with a BASE rig on, knowing that I was about to jump deliberately.

My fear of heights is much like John Rich.
It depends on the circumstances...with a rig at altitude,no problem.
Get me 30' off the ground and I'll shake just like a little scared puppy:S

Bry

--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

I have jumped off a lot of very high stuff like Angel Falls and Brento. I hate looking over the edge before leaping. Once off the object it's all fun and games. Weird.
When I walk out on the Perrine bridge without a rig on, I hate it. Walking under the big green monster in NorCal and looking down through the grates, ugh.
I spent 31 years on the FD and most of it on a 100' ladder truck. I could climb to the top, while it was swaying no problem.
When I ride the glass elevator at the Bonaventure hotel, I get nervous.
I was just in NYC and went to the top of the Empire State Building. It took some time to calm down and get used to being up there. I looked up at the tower and got vertigo and had to sit down for a minute.
Hanging out front float at 13,000 has no effect at all on me.
Strange stuffB|