Bandanarama

Things to Keep In Mind Regarding a Cutaway

Since I had my first cutaway at jump #96, I thought it would be nice to list the potential monetary losses associated with such an event due to carelessness. Sometimes people listen to monetary reasoning over obvious reasoning... Of course, it's paramount to consider safety first and foremost but good to know the additional costs as well. As a novice to the sport or a fortunate, seasoned veteran that lacks cut-away experience, I don't think many people fathom just how much money one can lose due to a bad pack job. I chalk my experience up to a bad pack job.

Here is a list of common items one can lose during a cutaway:

The following source was taken from Velocity Sports Equipment's web site since I have an Infinity Container.

http://s90422833.onlinehome.us/parts.htm

Cazer Kill-Line ZP pilot chute with hackey handle 95.00
Main risers (w/toggles) 95.00
Main risers with stainless steel hardware (w/toggles) 125.00
Main deployment bag 60.00
Infinity reserve free bag 85.00
Reserve pilot chute 100.00
Reserve ripcord pillow handle 65.00
Cut-away handle 20.00
Reserve ripcord (D-Type) 45.00
Main or reserve toggles 15.00

Prices current as of June 18, 2005

Safire 2 189 Main Canopy $1500.00

Accessories Item Total $500.00

In my case, here is the Grand Total: $2000.00

Since I have a pillow cut-away handle and a D-Type reserve handle, I wasn't sure how to calculate it above. I used $20 for my cut-away handle in the aforementioned accessories item total calculation. However, it probably should have been $65. So, one might possibly have to throw in an additional $45.

One could also be very unfortunate and have to deal with medical expenses as well. I'm not going to get into any emotional suffering/losses associated with serious injuries or death but those are definite factors as well. I just thought it would be nice to digest the tangibles.

In any event, I was fortunate enough to avoid any injuries and not lose a single item. I actually landed nice and softly at the landing zone as intended. However, I ended up paying retrieval and first time fees.

30 Minute Helicopter Search Ride $150.00

Reward to Farmer Who Returned My Main Canopy $100.00

Case of Beer for 1st Reserve Ride $25.00

Bottle of Booze for Rigger Saving My Bacon $25.00

Reserve Repack $50.00

I wouldn't be doing this post justice without at least mentioning it's not uncommon to spend a lot of time on foot searching in frustrating conditions such as challenging terrain, uncomfortable temperatures, climbing trees, etc. Additionally, no one should wish this upon skydiving buddies who may end up searching with you or on behalf of you. Hell, they may even be searching for you... The bottom line is try to avoid the experience as much as possible. It can be a royal pain in the rear but also very expensive.

I'll leave it up to you to pick your motivation.

1.) Think of Safety
2.) Think of your Friends or Family. Don't cause them any unnecessary stress associated with your experience. That includes having to get out there and search.
3.) Think of the $$$. Think of how many jumps you could have enjoyed with the money you spent on the experience. Or, wouldn't it be nice to spend that money on some new skydiving gear instead? I'm sure we can all find a better way to spend that money...

The first two motivations are usually stressed the most. You'll find all sorts of tips and threads on them. I haven't seen any recent threads on the last motivation and thus chose to shed some light on it.

I know I am much more careful with my pack jobs these days...

:)Eric

One's destination is never a place, but rather a new way of looking at things. ~ Henry Miller

Nice summary of the potential maximum cost of a cutaway- I just experienced that to the tune of $2200. You can replace gear. The monetary cost of executing emergeny procedure should never be a factor in deciding to chop or not.

I packed my own- never a rush job, meticulous care of equipment. When you throw a wad of nylon into the wind at 120 MPH anythng can happen- even to a "perfect" pack job. I'll get to try my new toy this weekend

Guest 1010
I would just say that this (what a chop might cost) is stuff to think about when packing, not when jumping.

edit to add: (what a chop might cost)

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

Since I purchased my Infinity container brand new, it came with all the gear I referenced with the exception of the main canopy. It was included in the price of the container. I imagine most container purchases come with those goodies even though some slight variations may exist with regards to option selections and prices.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I guess the moral of my story is a familiar one. Don't rush your pack job and let distractions affect your work. I know sometimes no matter how well your rig is packed, you can end up enjoying a reserve ride. However, focus before, during, and after a jump can surely help avoid any unnecessary events.

I just hadn't thought of each little component that could get lost and require replacement before. I thought it would be good to detail for those who have yet to enjoy their first reserve ride and haven't thought about all the angles. Of course, such costs are extremely low in comparison to ones safety but something to consider as well.

:)Eric

One's destination is never a place, but rather a new way of looking at things. ~ Henry Miller

Cutaway #2 for me was somewhere between 800-1200 feet over the hi-voltage power lines East of Monroe Airport .

For some reason, I completely forgot about my gear and target-fixated on a field a few hundred feet in front of me with a barbed wire fence down the middle and a dozen junked cars on the other side.

Managed to stand up the Raven with only one knee brushing the dirt, though. Rigger got a NOICE tip on the repack, too.

Good point! I tipped my rigger well for doing such a fantastic job of not only saving my ass but providing great turnaround time during the peak season. He also helped me untangle the mess when I brought my main canopy in and reconnected it for me. That was in addition to the bottle of Absolut Vodka. It's good to take care of your riggers.

Todd Higley is a stud and not only a great rigger but a great instructor too!

:)

Todd Higley is a stud and not only a great rigger but a great instructor too!

:)

Oh, please, Eric, don't swell his pretty little head! :P

Nice summary of the (potential) financial impact of a cutaway. Of course, coming down safe under the reserve is priceless, but not having to replace gear is a big bonus.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I am fortunate that i jump for the most part at dz's that have fantastic people who will help follow mains and freebags (I always follow my main) so any assistance with the freebag is greatly apreciated

I have always recovered all my gear, I have 6 cutaways.

but if I lost the main, freebag, and handles on my next jump I wouldnt be too upset and would be thankfull that I made it to the ground in one piece.

gear is replaceable.
each of us is not.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

I also jump at a very help-oriented DZ. I had to thank the spotters on our jump for the excellent spot, as I was last out and pulled high to test the demo canopy, cutaway right away and the main still landed on the DZ! I was able to hang in the wind long enough to watch the freebag's whereabouts before setting up for landing. When the pilot landed, he said he tried to watch where it went but lost it behind the trees. Since it was demo and rental gear I was VERY happy to recover everything!

Having the handle was a complete fluke, as I was trained to release the handles when executing EP's. My mal was a two-out and when I felt the reserve pop off my back cutaway right away to try and avoid it. Since I was watching the canopies, I never even looked at my handles and when the main released both sides, I guess I quit pulling the handle. At landing time, I felt something flapping on my hip and remember thinking 'WHAT is going wrong now' but did not have time to inspect. After landing I looked and there was my pillow still partially in the housing :$
Life is not fair and there are no guarantees...

I am fortunate that i jump for the most part at dz's that have fantastic people who will help follow mains and freebags (I always follow my main) so any assistance with the freebag is greatly apreciated

Roy, meet Tim from Perris. In his pick up truck, it seems the man knows you're going to chop before you do yourself! He's worth every beer one can put on his account. 10 times...B|

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

I thought it would be good to detail for those who have yet to enjoy their first reserve ride and haven't thought about all the angles.

People have gone in (and will continue to do so) fighting mals that cant be fixed. They spend the rest of their lives fighting to save a canopy from being chopped.

Thats an "angle" that needs to be addressed.

--
My other ride is a RESERVE.

At our DZ we formed a group called the PRT (Parachute recovery team). we have tree climbing gear, chainsaws, ropes, etc.
We have never lost a canopy or freebag yet.
Of course we are a Cessna DZ so spots are generally easier. But I still love the looks on peoples faces when we recover thier "Lost" canopy and freebag.;)

BSBD
Home of the Alabama Gang

After landing I looked and there was my pillow still partially in the housing

That is really scary. re: thread from earlier in the summer about jumpers not clearing their cables.

The only thing I want to think about during a situation is cutaway, clear cables, and deploy reserve. I don't care about the handles at all. I will look for the main and freebag if there is enough altitude and a decent landing area.

My goal is to walk away from the landing and jump another day. I will replace the gear someday anyway.

Blue skies,

Jim

I tried to point out that during the pulling of the pillow, I was looking up the whole time...and since the danger in not clearing the cables is you leave the longer side riser attached...watching both sides release and fly off into the wind signaled somewhere no need to keep pulling the pillow.
Life is not fair and there are no guarantees...

I had my only malfunction at Monroe years ago. During the Georgia state record 64 way attempts, I had a tension knot resulting in a hard spin. Cut away over the forest and neighborhood north of the airport. Had to fly over trees, a pond and more trees to get back to the airport. Barely made it too. Lost my cutaway handle and reserve freebag, and somebody from the neighborhood brought my main back, said it came down in his backyard, which borders the forest. (whew!)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Since I purchased my Infinity container brand new, it came with all the gear I referenced with the exception of the main canopy. It was included in the price of the container. I imagine most container purchases come with those goodies even though some slight variations may exist with regards to option selections and prices.

All new containers come with main dbag, main pilot chute, main risers and toggles, reserve freebag, reserve pilot chute, reserve toggles, reserve ripcord and cutaway handle. Used containers should be sold with all of these parts as well.

Some jumpers purchase extras with their new containers so they have them on hand in case they lose one or more of them on a cutaway.

Doesn't save money. Does save time.

I chased a chopped main for a guy at our DZ once. I had gone out last and was coming back downwind, pretty high due to the long spot, so I took a "detour" and chased his main until it landed while also looking for the freebag, but I never could spot it.
So, what's the "normal" landing pattern after a chop, does the reserve PC/freebag drop faster or slower than the main? I always felt bad about not finding it for him. (He appreciated getting his main back from the middle of a cornfield without a long search, but I figure I should have been able to see his freebag, too).
Any pointers?

Out of total curiosity, what was your malfunction/ packing error?

You can save all of these expenses by repeating the recent cutaway at the DZ I'm at... 1 toggle stowed, one not, resulting in a spin. Jumper landed safely in the landing area. Main canopy landed safely 10 feet behind her. Free bag landed safely in front of the hangar. She planned her cutaway very well :)
$150 for a chopper ride to find the canopy? Damn. Our DZO took my husband out in the cessna to find his main, no charge. Then one of the jumpers climbs trees professionally and has all the gear. This was not the first main he rescued. He asked for nothing in return, though we will be getting him a couple jump tickets.

Jen

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda