tws3998

who should pay for cutaway costs

Today I had my 2nd cut away (both in the last 20 jumps). Had a line over with a demo canopy (Nitron), I was wanting to get in a bunch of jumps today so I was paying someone else for me so I can get up again quickly to play with the new canopy. On my 2nd jump with the demo canopy, I pulled high (4.5k) and went into a violent spiral and did everything I could until 2k my decision altitude. We found the canopy and I kept my handles, but could not find the free bag.

The guy that packed for me doesn't work at the DZ, he packs for a few fun jumpers for the fun money. He feels really bad about and is a really nice guy, he just will never pack for me again.

Here is my question...
Who is responsible for paying for the lost free bag and reserve re-pack?
I assume myself.

You payed to get the canopy in the container, which is what you got. If you had a misrigged pc, then you could be pissed, but that wasn't the csae. The opening is not up to the packer.

It sucks, but time to pay for a new free bag, repack and bottle for the rigger that packed the reserve.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Packing your own is great, but sometimes you may want/need a break from that chore for various reasons.

The paid packers, perhaps even the one that packed your line over, may be better at it than you. If you pack yourself a mal, will you be fired as your own packer? :D

People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Pack for yourself.

+1,

If you have to get someone to pack for you for whatever reason, be damn sure you know who it is and their experience level.

Anyone can pack, some just pack better than others.;)

R.
One Jump Wonder

The DZ where I made my first jump had a sign up over the manifest window that read 'You pay your money, you take your chances'. They also had a waiver you had to sign, that went into more specific detail about that concept, but that sign pretty much says it all in skydiving.

Who is responsible for paying for the lost free bag and reserve re-pack?
I assume myself.

You assume correctly.

I feel differently about students - nobody with 20 jumps should be sitting there thinking "Oh no if I chop this I might have to shell out for the repack" - but at a hundred jumps, you're a grown-up.

It sucks about the freebag, obviously, but it happens.

(Also: this is way off-topic, but if you're big enough to put yourself under a fully elliptical canopy at a hundred jumps, then the cost of a repack is the least you're you're putting on the line.)
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

100 jumps, fully elliptical canopy, first jump on it, I'm guessing there was a downsize in there too and you're thinking this is a packing error?

Sucks to hear you lost gear, but I think it''s been said more than enough...you jumped...you pay.

500 jumps and the only jumps I haven't packed myself are my first 4 student jumps, my tandem, and my reserve ride. I guess I just like knowing that if something goes wrong, I can only blame myself.

Now, if he packed you a stepthrough, or something that was an obvious rigging error...I'd be having a chat with him. Packjob or not....he/she is a rigger and IS responsible to make sure it is in jumpable condition. Their job is not to make sure it opens, or opens nicely, but they do have the obligation to ensure that they've packed the parachute in a way that allows it to function normally under optimal circumstances.
"When once you have tasted flight..."

Thought so.
Since I'm still new, figured I would ask for proper decorum.
I will no grudges... just packing my own from now on.

The more important question is why were you jumping a fully elliptical canopy with 100 +/- jumps to begin with?
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

If you try to get a packer to pay for your shit you are a douche bag. If you judge a packer on a single pack job, you are a douche bag.

Pay your money, take your chances.

If that is your attitude towards a legitimate question, then i ask you to please refrain from posting.

The DZ where I made my first jump had a sign up over the manifest window that read 'You pay your money, you take your chances'. They also had a waiver you had to sign, that went into more specific detail about that concept, but that sign pretty much says it all in skydiving.

Hi Mr Lepka:)
During these days of students renting gear from a DZ for a significant amount of $$/jump.

Who's responsiable for the cost of a rented canopy after a cutaway, after a extensive search by the renter. Does the $$$ for the rental gear reflect the cost of replacing a well used main canopy. ?

If the renter is "to busy" to look for the canopy >:(B| Thats a different story.

R.

I know there's no set answer. YMMV depending on the DZ.

R.
One Jump Wonder

If you try to get a packer to pay for your shit you are a douche bag. If you judge a packer on a single pack job, you are a douche bag.

If that is your attitude towards a legitimate question, then i ask you to please refrain from posting.

Ask away, at least he addressed the OP original question. If his response ruffled your feathers go read a book.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Ask away, at least he addressed the OP original question. If his response ruffled your feathers go read a book.

Sparky

Hi Mr Sparky

You fossils are so naughty.;)

Lucky for Dizzy.com the whine server isn't a mod:D:D

:D:D I can't help it, What kind of a book were you talking about, a comic book, or a classic like Snow White and the 7 little dude's

Me bad:( Gotta go take a nap;)

R.

Lucky for us
One Jump Wonder

Let me know how that goes for you.