virgin-burner

anyone's got a spare 50$ for our friend Sangi!?

so yea, i've been talking to him this morning..

as most are aware, he's in pretty bad shape after his accident, and he's quite bored only being able to watch the ceiling.

anyway, unfortunately, i dont have a credit-card, but i was thinking of sending him brian germaine's "the canopy and it's pilot", to make his time a little more worthwhile..

i know it's sort of a big favor to ask, as he was being quite stubborn around here and didnt really make friends..

maybe someone has a copy they'd be willing to give away!?

he's feeling quite ashamed to the dropzone.com-community (and rightfully so), but it would be kind of a nice gesture.. :)
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Glassing over the root cause serves no purpose.
While the incident forum is clearly not the place to identify fault it seems, we should NOT forget that in an effort that others may learn from Sangi's mistakes and refusal to listen to experience.
Sorry if you don't see it that way.
At dz's I'm familiar with - he would have received MANY "bowling ball" speeches.
;)

I also agree with Spence, there had to be a bounce bingo game on him.
I've often wondered if it would help those following the path to injury or death would have a different perspective if they knew there was money on them injuring themselves.
Probably not.
[:/]

(and no, I don't seriously believe there was, in fact, an actual bet on someone getting injured)

it's not that i "dont see it that way"; we all know he's been a dumbass, heck, he even knows it himself.. there's no denying in that and nothing in the world will make that fact go away!

still, he's a skybrother. and he's a friend of mine. and personally, i would like to see him "get back on the horse" as soon as possible. maybe not necessarily skydiving.. :P

but if he feels people are there for him, be it a simple phone-call, or maybe a little present, that would possibly speed up his recovery!? like, having a goal to work towards to during his (long) rehab.. and simply for him to pass the time a bit faster with something he may enjoy reading..

that's all. :)

-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

no worries mate.. :)
i'm well aware people may get a "little" emotional about sangi, heck, i do!

he's set himself up WIDE open for abuse once he bounced. actually, that's one of the things he said to me this morning, he FEARS to ever log back onto dorkzone.. i couldnt help but laugh and told him his incident-report was now about 10 pages.. :P

see, i mock him. but some of the stuff you get to read around here is WAYS beyond good, or even bad taste. seems, people get quite a kick out of someones "misfortune" (altough they brought it upon themselves in the first place), but this is not a reason to be a complete fucking dickwad-asshole-idiot-wanker-motherfucker about it. IMHO.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

now go and buy him that book already! :P

On it. Getting together a few things to send over to keep him entertained (and a load of junk to fatten his skinny self up) and just ordered a used copy to send. I'm sure at the very least he'll understand it as a friendly wind up.

On it. Getting together a few things to send over to keep him entertained (and a load of junk to fatten his skinny self up) and just ordered a used copy to send. I'm sure at the very least he'll understand it as a friendly wind up.

AWESOME!

for all i know, he'll be in rehab by next week, i'll call again in a couple of days, maybe he's a little less drugged up and i can get the adress of the rehab-center out of him. i'll let you know! :)
oh, and for the junk, dont send too much, you know, WL n'all! ;)
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

The bowling one???
:P

I couldn't help it....:)

you know, actually that's NOT such a bad idea; if you include a nice little note, i think he'd even appreciate that! :)
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

he's set himself up WIDE open for abuse once he bounced.

No, he set himself for abuse when he decided that he was better than all the other people who have died before him. When he brushed off advice by high experienced canopy pilots and swooping competitors.

The fact that he hooked in wasn't and still isn't a surprise to us. We knew it would happen, we just hoped that he would live through it. He lived through it. So now he needs to man up, admit he was wrong (to himself, I don't care if he admits it to me or anyone else), make better canopy choices and try again (this time listening to the experienced canopy pilots).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

In motorcycling circles, it's quite common to buy your newly crashed friend a "Crashing Sucks" t-shirt.
I received mine about 6 years ago when I totaled my 2003 HD Ultra Classic Electra Glide 100th Anniversary Edition motorcycle. I knew it instantly as expected ribbing from friends.
Crashing Sucks!
I think we need to start doing that in skydiving.
:P

Good point. I'm sure there's an old 220 round here somewhere to offset the junk :p

Why would you expect people who have been mocked and blown-off to try and fix a guy after the fact. The time to help was before and they tried until they were blue in the face. It was his decisions which put him where he now is and it wasn't like this was a fluke or freak accident. Everyone looking at those videos that YOU posted cringed and knew that he'd be in a hospital bed sooner or later.

I refuse to lend a dollar or shed a tear for an obviously stupid jumper who believed himself to be above the established guidelines and paths to becoming a competent canopy pilot. This may come off as harsh, but I see it as putting money towards rehab for an addict who OD'd but miraculously lived.

He's got three options at this point (a) Never jump again due to extensive injuries, (b) unfucks himself and heeds the advice of more experienced jumpers and if he still pursues canopy piloting, he does so at a established and reasonable pace, (c) nothing changes and you attend a funeral in the not so distant future.

It's his decision to make. Giving him a book won't do a damn thing.

well, he did apologise.. and also said, now he knows i was being a true friend. and he also apologised to mccordia and eli123, as the group of us three he interacted with most outside of dorkzone..

we'll see how he progresses from here, but he did admit his mistakes..:)

-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

Good point. I'm sure there's an old 220 round here somewhere to offset the junk :p

:D:D:D:D:D
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

Why would you expect people who have been mocked and blown-off to try and fix a guy after the fact. The time to help was before and they tried until they were blue in the face. It was his decisions which put him where he now is and it wasn't like this was a fluke or freak accident. Everyone looking at those videos that YOU posted cringed and knew that he'd be in a hospital bed sooner or later.

I refuse to lend a dollar or shed a tear for an obviously stupid jumper who believed himself to be above the established guidelines and paths to becoming a competent canopy pilot. This may come off as harsh, but I see it as putting money towards rehab for an addict who OD'd but miraculously lived.

He's got three options at this point (a) Never jump again due to extensive injuries, (b) unfucks himself and heeds the advice of more experienced jumpers and if he still pursues canopy piloting, he does so at a established and reasonable pace, (c) nothing changes and you attend a funeral in the not so distant future.

It's his decision to make. Giving him a book won't do a damn thing.

you know, as much as i hate to say it, you're right!

except one point: maybe the book will make his time go by a bit quicker, and he'd appreciate the thought. especially if it's not coming from me but someone else FROM here.. :)
that's my whole intention, nothing more, nothing less. i think i pointed that out in a post further up..

penny_drop, you did order that book already!? because i just got an offer to have it send from someone else.. :)
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda