btvr

Whuffos pointing out incidents

Why do whuffos feel obligated to point out an incident or fatality to a skydiver? With the tandem accident last week I got an email from a friend who just had to let me know.
Also on several occasions when discussing the sport with potential tandem riders there's always some asshole who asks.."Hey did you hear about the skydiver who blah blah blah? They always seem to have like a sinister smirk or smile too. Like we jumpers don't know it's a sport with risks?
I used to blow it off, now I just ask "And?" Then they are speechless. Idiots. How do others respond?
Just a little venting session:)

I wouldn't get in a huff. I usually ask if they know where it was or have any names. It's possible this might be info I want to know.

All they know is they read a sensational story, and that you are a skydiver. Maybe they want to understand. Likely they aren't idiots at all, they just don't jump. They are probably speechless if you're being an ass to them.

I think the rest is in your head. If not, well, then they are smug, know-it-all, assholes that get off on putting down your favorite sport. If so, I'd hang out with other people.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I can answer how I answered all the questions about this incident. I tell them yes I know about it and knew about it within hours of it happening as Fonz was My friend. I then proceeded to tell them how amazing my friend was and how terrible of an accident it was and how the whole skydiving community was mourning the loss of the student and celebrating the life of our friend.

There is no need to get upset. People are afraid of what they don't understand. Instead of getting upset teach them.

P.S. Normally I just tell them the person was being a dumb ass and killed themselves and unfortunately sometimes killed someone else. Most people can understand idiots doing stupid shit.

It is the true total malfunction the scares people and frankly it scares the hell out of me too.

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

After several of my co-workers brought the Mesquite tandem incident to my attention I followed up with, "and did you hear that cantaloupe has killed 23 people in the past few weeks."

Perspective and sensational news.
Blue Skies, Soft Docks and Happy Landings!
CWR #23
(It's called CRW, add an e if you like, but I ain't calling it CFS. FU FAI!)

Good points..I usually don't get upset at the person. I understand people letting me know because it's the sport I'm involved in. It's the ones that ask as if they just want to see my reaction or want me to explain.. Just don't get what they're looking for. And the "idiots" remark was for the ones that are smug not the people that actually have concern. The email I got started with "Ha Ha, saw this and thought of you". Can't believe someone would start it that way about something tragic like this. Totally blew my mind. Maybe I'm reading into it too much?

>Why do whuffos feel obligated to point out an incident or fatality to a skydiver?

Same way you might talk to a pilot about an airliner crash at an airport he flies out of. Something to talk about. Asking him about would not make you an idiot.

Meh, it happens in many walks of life. For instance I work in hot food currently. And tbh I have to stop myself punching the customers out on a daily basis as they absolutely love to rub it in and think you are scum and beneath them.

Working around hot water and hot oil I get burnt EVERY single freaking day. It is impossible not to be.

You get splashed by 250C oil on your hand and you can see the flesh sizzle and burn instantly. But you can't scream you can't cry and invariably a customer says bit hot is it?

Searing pain through my hand I have to suppress the rage to punch them out...

I think really its that people can be dicks and love to rub in peoples misfortune and try to big themsekves up by putting others down.

Why do whuffos feel obligated to point out an incident or fatality to a skydiver? With the tandem accident last week I got an email from a friend who just had to let me know.
Also on several occasions when discussing the sport with potential tandem riders there's always some asshole who asks.."Hey did you hear about the skydiver who blah blah blah? They always seem to have like a sinister smirk or smile too. Like we jumpers don't know it's a sport with risks?
I used to blow it off, now I just ask "And?" Then they are speechless. Idiots. How do others respond?
Just a little venting session:)

Whuffo's get a vicarious charge out of knowing someone who jumps, and is near the "danger". Oooooo... the drama.:o

The email I got started with "Ha Ha, saw this and thought of you". Can't believe someone would start it that way about something tragic like this.

Most whuffos are pretty decent, but like an earlier poster stated, when they hear about skydiving, they think of you. And they're curious about it and how that makes you feel. It's perfectly okay to let them know that it sucks when someone gets killed in our sport.

I did once have a coworker who flat out told me "I laugh every time a skydiver gets killed because they were asking for it.":|

Knowing he was a fisherman, I told him I was the same way every time a sport boat flipped in the surf and the fishermen drowned. He told me that was rude and uncalled for. I don't think he got it. People like that you just need to avoid.

>Why do whuffos feel obligated to point out an incident or fatality to a skydiver?

Same way you might talk to a pilot about an airliner crash at an airport he flies out of. Something to talk about. Asking him about would not make you an idiot.

,..or tandem masters who, upon learning their student is a dentist, insist on talking about their teeth for the whole ride up.

my mom got the 2 recent stories mixed up and was swearing left and right that the people had sex on the way down and died.

that's some funny shit right there!

:D:D:D
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Some months ago while drinking at a local bar I run into a whuffo acquaintance of mine and he started telling me that he had done a tandem at a local DZ (not my home DZ). After he is done telling me about his tandem he says "Man, and someone got killed at the same place I did my tandem this week" and starts to laugh. I told him "Nope, it wasn't your DZ... the guy died at my DZ and I was one of the first people to show up to give him first aid. He was my buddy and he will be missed."

He just stared awkwardly and walked away. There was a reason I never liked that guy.

Don't knock the wuffos. I got my apprenticeship in construction cause someone bounced and that's all they wanted to talk about at the interview.
My kid got out of an IRS audit the same way.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

People like that you just need to avoid.

Ding. The older I get the more I realize that there are too many twits in the world to worry about "dealing with"; the best way to deal with them is simple avoidance.

-------------

To the OP: There are about 5 or 10 typical whuffo comments/questions that will test your patience regularly. "Didja hear about...?" is one of them. I'll give you a little hint: the fewer whuffos you let know you're a skydiver, the less of that shit you'll get.

But when it comes, don't feed it; starve it:

"Hey didja hear about that skyjumper accident?"
"Yup".
"That was somethin'! Guess you never know who's gonna pack your chute!"
"Mm-hm."
"Uh.. :| So how do you feel about it?"
"I really can't help you."

>or tandem masters who, upon learning their student is a dentist, insist on talking
>about their teeth for the whole ride up.

Yep. Amy hears that all the time. "You're an orthopedic surgeon? Man, my arm really hurts" or "I had a friend who had osteomyelitis! She almost died!" or even "hey can you write me a prescription for Vicodin?" Lots of people do it.

>or tandem masters who, upon learning their student is a dentist, insist on talking
>about their teeth for the whole ride up.

Yep. Amy hears that all the time. "You're an orthopedic surgeon? Man, my arm really hurts" or "I had a friend who had osteomyelitis! She almost died!" or even "hey can you write me a prescription for Vicodin?" Lots of people do it.

Imagine being an airline pilot and constantly getting asked for 'free tickets' from people you don't know...or enduring the countless stories about 'my uncle's friend's mailman's neighbor's brother'...that had some kind of problem once 10 years ago and will never fly again...every-time a plane goes down in Timbuktu, my wife gets a couple dozen calls, mostly from 'friends' we haven't heard from since the LAST time one went down. :S

I think it's just people trying to make conversation, offering up the only tidbit they have which relates (they think) to you...

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I'm working at dwindling down their numbers. I just shoot them.

Hey assholes, I need some help!:)

the dz i was visiting this weekend had a sign that said "trespassers will be shot - survivors will be shot again!"; i think they could help you out! :D
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda