guineapiggie101

Is the Nationals something to go and watch?

I think it is, although I am a competitor so I see things from a different perspective. You can watch the rounds being judged in real time. If you enjoy watching skydiving it should be entertaining. Meeting the big names in competitive skydiving is always interesting.

Absolutely.

For you it's only a five hour drive. Going and watching all the various disciplines will help you get a feel for what goes on at competitions.

Take a friend, spend some time at the Bent Prop Cafe and drink a few beers with our nation's best skydivers. What's not to like?

Maybe someday you'll be one of them.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

In addition to the videos of the CReW and most of the freefall stuff (except Style), you can watch classic accuracy right before your eyes! Unfortunately for you, the swoopy stuff (canopy piloting) has already completed for this year... It is very spectator friendly.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

If you go, look me up and we can drink a beer together. I'll be doing 4 & 8 way formation skydiving.

Also did you go to the Endless Summer Boogie last weekend?

My son was there as a load organizer.

Sandy Grillet
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

Well..... I'd skip the nationals and just go to a boogie.
The boogie is going to have much more of a party atmosphere.

That being said, it is only 5 hours from you..... But while there is a lot going on..... It can be boring from a non-competitor perspective IMO.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

it's a good extension of your DZ social life, folks at Nationals would enjoy meeting you and you'd certainly enjoy meeting them (plus seeing some of your local friends).
I think you'd enjoy the atmosphere, and maybe do a tandem jump while you're there.B| Very cool DZ.

Hey Spot, even though he may not be able to jump (if he's not licensed) I'm not sure doing a tandem would be much fun for him.

She actually enjoys tandems. :)
The DZ should be very busy, but the school should still be pumping tandems out.

The Halloween party on Saturday next week should not be missed.
Remster

I have never seen skydiving competitions and wondering if going to watch the Nationals is something interesting to do?

Yes! When they are at SDC, I make plans to be there for at least both weekends and 1 or 2 weekdays. It's really cool to see all the competitors and you see stuff that is not normally part of the DZ culture.

I get a kick out of watching the classic accuracy folks (RIP Ted) and the CRW teams. Very cool. If you have a chance, go!

She actually enjoys tandems. :)
The DZ should be very busy, but the school should still be pumping tandems out.

The Halloween party on Saturday next week should not be missed.

Yeah, I do enjoy tandems;).

If there is a party out there for Halloween, that would be cool.

Right now, I am on the fencepost about going. I may try to get a friend to come with me.

I also wouldn't mind doing a tandem out there either

If you go, look me up and we can drink a beer together. I'll be doing 4 & 8 way formation skydiving.

Also did you go to the Endless Summer Boogie last weekend?

My son was there as a load organizer.

Sandy Grillet

Cool.

No, I did not go to the Endless Summer Boogie last weekend, but I do know who your son is.

I've been out to Skydive AZ (went there in May) and did some tunnel time at the tunnel with Melanie Curtis. That was fun as well as a learning experience for me.

Right now, if I do go, I am planning to go next weekend (10/28 -10/31), and so I can go to the Halloween party that weekend too.

I have never seen skydiving competitions and wondering if going to watch the Nationals is something interesting to do?

Canopy Piloting is excellent to watch, but it isn't with the rest of nationals this year due to the USPA allowing it to be a bastard step child.

The rest of nationals is OK, but I never found it a lot of fun to hang out and watch it. It is like a busy day at a DZ, but everyone is bitchier.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Head on out GP, elsinore will have folks there competing and i am sure they would love some spectator suport.

AND
Mel will be there tooB|

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

but it isn't with the rest of nationals this year due to the USPA allowing it to be a bastard step child.

Hey now! We all agreed that swooping needs to be seperated in time and space! ;)

Seriously, it would be better is all disciplines where happening at the same place, but they wouldnt be all at the same time either. The whole meet would probably be split over 12 days and competitors wouldnt be there the whole time.

Heck, the argument could even be made that some people who wanted to do the swoop meet and another (VFS or FS) could probably manage 2 separate short trips as opposed to a 2 week long vacation.

This being said, if the USPA rules are the same as the CSPA ones, its up to the DZs applying to the committee to list what they want to host, and the committee to accept or reject the bids. Since there arent 12 DZ applying for nationals every year, options are often limited.
Remster

it's a good extension of your DZ social life, folks at Nationals would enjoy meeting you and you'd certainly enjoy meeting them (plus seeing some of your local friends).
I think you'd enjoy the atmosphere, and maybe do a tandem jump while you're there.B| Very cool DZ.

Douglas, Guineapiggie101 has already been to Skydive Arizona. I took her with me on a spontaneous road-trip to Eloy in the spring when I was brushing up on flying/4-way, prior to the AZ Challenge. I thought that she may enjoy some tunnel time with Melanie to help her work through her AFF difficulties. (She rocked it, after her tunnel time!) While there, I introduced Guineapiggie101 to three of the Airspeed guys, among others, so she knows some of the big names, already. ;)

Guineapiggie101~
I think that watching Nationals may inspire you to get back in the sky by yourself. You seem to be searching for the key to that. Have fun!!! :)

but it isn't with the rest of nationals this year due to the USPA allowing it to be a bastard step child.

Hey now! We all agreed that swooping needs to be seperated in time and space! ;)

At least you hold yours in the same country!

The BPA, not so much.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

This being said, if the USPA rules are the same as the CSPA ones, its up to the DZs applying to the committee to list what they want to host, and the committee to accept or reject the bids. Since there arent 12 DZ applying for nationals every year, options are often limited.

If you and I had a DZ and we put in a packet to host nationals but said we couldn't host RW, only FF, style, accuracy, CReW and Swooping, we would be laughed out of the room.

It should be all or nothing. Either the USPA only allows DZs to host the entire event or split the events up and let DZs who cater to those disciplines host those competitions. Personally I would say split it up. I would also say that the USPA BOD meeting should be at the DZ hosting nationals directly before or after nationals, instead of some random resort town removed from the members.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."