Skwrl

Charities using Skydiving to Fund Raise

I'm trying to get information on charities that have used skydiving to raise funds for various causes.

I'm aware of:

- Jump for the Cause
- Jump for the Cure
- Raise the Sky

I know there must be others, though... Can anyone help identify some?

Thanks!
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

While that's an interesting line of questioning, that's not where I'm going with this.

I'm trying to find a list of the groups that have done this; let's save the discussion of which ones we like and don't like for a different thread.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

Does skydiving related charity work count?

I know there are some organizations that take female sexual abuse victims for a jump as an empowerment thing.

Also I have received calls from the local NPR/Public TV station for a tandem voucher for them to raffle of.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

KiKa
Kinderen Kankervrij = Children Cancerfree. The shirt says "Help KiKa jump ahead". These shirts were sold at various skydiving competitions and there's a yearly (?) day of tandemjumping where I participated in a couple years back, doing a day of freebee tandemvideos for KiKa. Glad to do it :)

Flying Blind Tandem jumping for the visually impaired. They came to my DZ one weekend and I did a day of freebee tandemvideos. It made a big impression on me, I hadn't had many tandemvideos total yet and my first passenger was 99% blind. Wow.

After jumping, there was a BBQ and this dude with a seeing-eye dog calls me over. We start talking and he says he's got the same hobby as I do.

??

He's a photographer!

He told me he had had a lot of trouble finding a suitable digital camera with lots of push buttons and a way to record a sound clip with a picture.
He was taking pictures of his life, then recording his words about wat he imagined was in that pictre. His parents were making a DVD out of his pictures + soundclips.

How awesome is that????!!!!

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Isn't jumping to raise money for charity something that is done semi regularly in the UK?

Googling that comes up will all sorts of UK links. One site for example says, "UK Parachuting work with over forty sponsored Charities in the UK and around the world." and the site includes links to select one of many charities and book a jump right from the web page.

It's odd to me because it isn't organized as a regular thing in the US/Can.

I seem to recall a small controversy some years back, when there was an inquest into an accident by a first timer doing a charity jump. It was asked whether the accident person, or some people in general, might be overly pressured into jumping when it is 'for charity'. But that's really no different than people being pressured into jumping with their buddies on any first jump course.

Then of course you get into the issue of whether one could just raise the funds directly and send them to a charity instead of 'wasting' a huge percentage on the jump activity. That is, spend money on jumping if you want to jump, and spend money directly on charity if you want to support a charity.

He told me he had had a lot of trouble finding a suitable digital camera with lots of push buttons and a way to record a sound clip with a picture.
He was taking pictures of his life, then recording his words about wat he imagined was in that pictre. His parents were making a DVD out of his pictures + soundclips.

How awesome is that????!!!!

Truly inspirational!

And yeah it's pretty common here in the UK, I've seen it around few times anyways. :)