kojak001

Does used equipment get cheaper in the winter months?

Does used equipment get cheaper in the winter months or stay pretty consistent year around? I’m new to skydiving and thinking about purchasing gear in the next few months. I know in other sports I’m involved in prices really drop when it starts raining and getting cold!

Several years ago I would have said "Yes, prices will drop dramatically." However the last few years I have been watching classifieds and not seeing that tremendous drop in winter months. Maybe many others are looking to the used market during all months because new gear is pricey, and they don't have that much extra income. With so many potential buyers there's not much need for sellers to go rock bottom pricing, IMO.

When I sold some gear on DZ.com it was advertised world-wide. Which meant that while it was winter here it wasn't winter everywhere. And I was not in a great rush for the sale or the money. So I could ask my price and get it. Much depends on what you're selling too. PD reserves sell nicely. Anytime. So, no,prices do not have to come down in the winter. I don't think season has any affect anymore but that's because we can now advertise globally. And there are more DZs open in warmer places in the US that operate year round, as though they are not affected by seasons.

So, if you're selling, you can probably hold a firm price without going too low. You'd have to drop a bit below new and have an attractive used price to get people to consider used. It seems only newbies really consider used gear at all. So you'd have to have a good price to make someone want the used gear. If you're buying, I wouldn't expect much of a winter break.

I don't think the prices change all that much. Even just in the US, the northern half is busy jumping in the summer, and the southern half is busier in the winter. When it's 4 degrees outside in Ohio, we don't jump much, but at the same time when it's 112 in Arizona, they don't jump much either.

The other difference is that in skydiving people don't always change their gear that often. I know skiing and snowboarding, for example, come out with new models every year, but parachutes are not quite the same.

If you're shopping for used gear, between sizes and models there are enough things that need to 'match up' for gear to be right for you, that when you find equipment that fits all your needs and passes a riggers inspection, just buy it. Waiting around to save a $100 or $200 might find you without gear, or jumping your 'second choice'.

A word on buying used gear, have one of your instructors refer you to a good local rigger. If you're planning to buy a rig, you'll need a rigger anyway, so establish the relationship now.

Anytime you see or hear of gear you might be interested in, see what your rigger thinks. If they think it's worthwhile, have them arrange to inspect it. Never ever buy antyhing without your rigger inspecting it, or without the understanding that you can return it if does not pass your riggers inspection.

Your rigger can generally work out having things shipped to them before payment is made, or if not, some gear dealers will do an escrow deal where you pay them, the seller ships to them, and they handle making sure everyone gets what they need. Check with Chuting Star if you need escrow service, I think they do it for free, but you have to pay them to inspect the gear being escrowed.

Ditto...I have been looking everyday for quite a while and I don't think the prices change much at all. Infact, IMHO if you have a good wholesaler you can get a pretty good deal on new stuff.
I know a guy that got a great deal by posting a WTB in the classifieds. Guess that may be the way to go if you want used gear.
Fear is the thief of dreams.....