JohnRich

Should "skydive" be one word or two?

This is just such a civil, polite, respectful of everyone's opinion thread I have to slap my face.
Is everyone feeling ok today.:)

Yeah, it's weird, ain't it!

But we can fix that: Should "Skyride" be one word or two?"

There, that should bring out the halloween werewolves.

"Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the VP is such a VIP, shouldn't we keep the PC on the QT? 'Cause if it leaks to the VC he could end up MIA, and then we'd all be put on KP."

I'm rolling on the floor laughing every time I see that. Thanks for the reminder. I'll have to pull it off the shelf and see it again.
"For you see, an airplane is an airplane. A landing area is a landing area. But a dropzone... a dropzone is the people."

This is just such a civil, polite, respectful of everyone's opinion thread I have to slap my face.
Is everyone feeling ok today.:)

Yeah, it's weird, ain't it!

Ok Ok Ok

I'll try and help WTFlack ever happened to just calling it skydiving "jumping"

Like where you going this weekend?

Jumping or Jumpin doesn't sound as dramatic but it is what it is/was.:)
K-RIP
One Jump Wonder

While we're splitting hairs, there's a difference between an acronym, and an initilism. Acronyms are pronounced as a word as "SCUBA", or "LASER". "ACDZ", "SDKS" are initilisms since we don't attempt to pronounce them as words, but as a list of letters.

"Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the VP is such a VIP, shouldn't we keep the PC on the QT? 'Cause if it leaks to the VC he could end up MIA, and then we'd all be put on KP."

Beat you to it! See post #12.

Why we're at it. Technically, "skydiving" is a gerund and therefore makes more sense as a single word, along with waterskiiing, snowboarding, and scuba diving (oh, nevermind)!
It's all been said before, no sense repeating it here.

And continuing with the theme of the thread however -- no one or noone? :P

No one is correct. Noone is one of those compound words that has recently become acceptable only because those who do not know better keep using it. It's part of the general dumbing down of the language that incorrect grammar, used often enough, eventually becomes the norm.

I expect y'all will eventually get a dictionary entry, as well as orientate; and soon processes will be officially pronounced prO-ses-sEz. I think people especially like the incorrect pronunciation because it has a bit of a fake foreign sound; which they imagine makes them sound sophisticated and cultured.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Is this the answer to my angry question of what tandem passengers should be called (personally, I say luggage)? Put sky diver on the certificate. With skydiver on FJC cert.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

No one is correct. Noone is one of those compound words that has recently become acceptable only because those who do not know better keep using it. It's part of the general dumbing down of the language that incorrect grammar, used often enough, eventually becomes the norm.

When did the norm become the norm?
"For you see, an airplane is an airplane. A landing area is a landing area. But a dropzone... a dropzone is the people."

It is the standard behavior of any given group. Depending on the behavior being investigated, the definition of the given group, and the granularity of the observations - there may not be a norm.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Is this the answer to my angry question of what tandem passengers should be called (personally, I say luggage)? Put sky diver on the certificate. With skydiver on FJC cert.

Generally speaking, I don't call them anything I wouldn't call them to their face.

I think the answer is right there in the middle of your question: tandem passenger.

That being said, I'll admit to using other terms in discussing my experiences with some of the more difficult passengers.

I think it should be two words. But that's more based on my non-native English gut-feeling, than on solid evidence. When in doubt, I always use separate words instead of compounds in the English language.:):P

Edit: then = than :):P

Furriners don't get to vote. ;)
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

It is the standard behavior of any given group. Depending on the behavior being investigated, the definition of the given group, and the granularity of the observations - there may not be a norm.

"The norm" is incorrect grammar, examples you were giving in post #30.