FL_new_jumper

Stupid noob questions about jump planes

OK.. so I'm new to the sport.. can't find answers to 2 "dumb" questions...

1. I know the jump plane slows down just before we exit.. but how fast is it going when we jump?

2. Who closes the door? Does it just stay open until the plane lands?

1 - Depends on the winds. Slow enough to allow reasonably comfortable climb-out, fast enough so plane does not stall. Pilot should call out speed over the ground so jumpers can provide proper separation between exiting groups.

2 - Last person out closes the door.

Kidding on number two - do not attempt to close the door if you are last out. But seriously, chat with pilot/DZO/instructors where you are being trained.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

2 - Last person out closes the door.

Kidding on number two - do not attempt to close the door if you are last out.

sometimes I do, specially in the cold winter, or if the plane has a long flight after dropping me.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

OK.. so I'm new to the sport.. can't find answers to 2 "dumb" common yet often unasked questions...

1. I know the jump plane slows down just before we exit.. but how fast is it going when we jump?

2. Who closes the door? Does it just stay open until the plane lands?

FIFY - The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

It's already been answered, in a Cessna, the pilot skids the plane so that the relative wind brings the door to where he can reach it, or in a bigger plane, there may be a rope rig for the pilot to close it, ir it stays open.
There's a thread on here somewhere about the last jumper in an Otter closing the door, and it has a story about the Otter pilot going back to watch the last tandem pair go and then closing it. I looked around a bit but couldn't find it.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

1.- It depends on several things from the aircraft, type of exit, and the pilot. Usually climbout speeds are in the 75 to 100 kts range (give or take).

I'm not sure all of the planes actually slow down as much as the stop climbing and pull the power back.

I've been in 182's that didn't actually slow the plane down at all. They would pull the power back to reduce the prop blast, but actually descend a little bit to maintain the same airspeed they had during climb. It feels slower (sounds slower too) to the jumper, but from an airspeed over the wings standpoint, the plane is flying the same speed. I've been in larger planes that pull the power back and maintain altitude, and also don't really slow down from their climb airspeed (same speed, less power, no climb, if that makes sense).

My friend with as an observer/picture taker on one of my jumps from an Otter. We put her near the back, seatbelt fastened and all of us left. No one told her that the door would remain open. Pilot banked right and all she saw was ground. Surprised her a little (read a bunch). We laugh about it now.
POPS #10623; SOS #1672

Can't..... Resist......

OK, so how many feet do you go up after the parachute deploys, and how long do you have to wait with said deployment when you jump from a helicopter, and don't want to end up in the rotor? :):P

(I was actually wondering about the doors, btw, so now I know. :)

Varies by aircraft. The B-25 Mitchell bomber I jumped out of this summer was hauling ass when we exited. The exits from the tail gunner spot were "sporting".

I can't remember if it is the Skyvan or the CASA (both tailgate aircraft) which is famous for having a "brisk" airspeed during exit.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Parachutist had an article on jump run speeds long ago. As I remember the Casa was the fastest, with the skyvan not far behind. Something like 110kts IAS, and talk of actually having to slow down to terminal after exiting.

The vids from the b-25 tail exit are pretty sweet!

My friend with as an observer/picture taker on one of my jumps from an Otter. We put her near the back, seatbelt fastened and all of us left. No one told her that the door would remain open. Pilot banked right and all she saw was ground. Surprised her a little (read a bunch). We laugh about it now.

Do you mean "banked left"? It seems like a right bank would have a passenger looking up at the sky, as the door would rotate away from the earth, rather than towards it.

depends mainly on the type of parachute strings, and the speed you have. When jumping from a helicopter you typically get enough safety distance while reaching said speed.

So you're basically saying here that I failed to ask a stupid question.....:|[:/]

Do you mean "banked left"? It seems like a right bank would have a passenger looking up at the sky, as the door would rotate away from the earth, rather than towards it.

Depends how far right he took it. :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Can't..... Resist......

OK, so how many feet do you go up after the parachute deploys, and how long do you have to wait with said deployment when you jump from a helicopter, and don't want to end up in the rotor? :):P

Never open your rig in the house, you'll got right through the roof! :)

(I was actually wondering about the doors, btw, so now I know. :)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

1) http://www.diverdriver.com/

2) The Diverdriver closes the door. Sometimes by steering the plane (e.g. C182), or with a stick-with-loop (e.g. Porter), or with a rope attached to the door (e.g. C208, DO28) or sometimes with a helper (e.g. LET410)

or the door stays open.

or the last jumper out can close it assuming it is not a tandem. (only seen it done on an otter).
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."