brnnncrzy77

New Oakleys

Personally I think "gasket" goggles are equally as bad as skydiving goggles.
The foam gasket never stays on the glasses. I think the sweat breaks down the adhesive until it pokes you in the eye during freefall or while riding the sled.

I have found the Gators work best for me. No gasket, lightweight, good seal.
Just don't forget to tighten the strap before exit. :P:)

Gatorz don't work for me, the aluminum breaks down from my sweat, the rivets corrode out and the aluminum de-laminates and corrodes. Now I use Oakley Gascans and have for a few years. They don't fit as tight when in freefall as the pairs of Gatorz I've had, but they last me a LOT longer.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

So you don't actually have to have a complete seal for freefall?

No, in fact I hate having a complete seal on anything I wear. Typically they fog really badly, even top brands that have special coatings and vents. If they don't fog, then they feel sweaty and uncomfortable. I don't wear contacts, so someone with contacts may have more issues than I do.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Personally I think "gasket" goggles are equally as bad as skydiving goggles.
The foam gasket never stays on the glasses. I think the sweat breaks down the adhesive until it pokes you in the eye during freefall or while riding the sled.

Yeah +1 i wear Gatorz now and love them. I had some Solar Batz that had the gasket in them. they would fog up, make my face sweat and generally annoy the shit out of me. I ripped out the gasket and they worked fine.
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

Anyone using Liquid? I was gonna buy a pair, but a couple at my DZ bought some had an issue with them and now liquid isn't providing the customer support they promised. In fact won't even respond to their numerous calls. I really think the transitions lenses would be nice. But i'm not gonna buy something from somebody I know from that start doesn't support their product. I've had oakleys but they seem over priced for what they are. More like trendy glasses than practical. Still like my gatorz except that the damn rubbers on the bows always stretch, get loose, and end up with me just ripping them off in frustration.

Anyone using Liquid? I was gonna buy a pair, but a couple at my DZ bought some had an issue with them and now liquid isn't providing the customer support they promised. In fact won't even respond to their numerous calls. I really think the transitions lenses would be nice. But i'm not gonna buy something from somebody I know from that start doesn't support their product. I've had oakleys but they seem over priced for what they are. More like trendy glasses than practical. Still like my gatorz except that the damn rubbers on the bows always stretch, get loose, and end up with me just ripping them off in frustration.

I jump liquids whenever I'm doing video, they work pretty well, won't jump Gatorz ever again.

Don't get the LTD (light to dark) lenses for skydiving, they suck in high heat, take a while to transition, so going from a dark plane, you'll likely be under canopy and in the pattern before they're dark.

I have the smoke polarized, and they're great for most of the day, dark jumps get clear goggles.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I jump liquids whenever I'm doing video, they work pretty well, won't jump Gatorz ever again.

Don't get the LTD (light to dark) lenses for skydiving, they suck in high heat, take a while to transition, so going from a dark plane, you'll likely be under canopy and in the pattern before they're dark.

I have the smoke polarized, and they're great for most of the day, dark jumps get clear goggles.

The OP is a student with 6 jumps.

Most schools and instructors wont allow sunglasses for students since you cant get a clear eye contact from them.

I hate doing RW with someone in glasses too.
Remster

liquid isn't providing the customer support they promised

That was not my experience. They provided excellent customer support to me. I broke my first pair and they sent me a second free of charge. They were straight up with me.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

You being a student.... I would not let you wear anything that has not been approved. This would mean that someone with some exp would have to have used those and reported to me that they worked fine with no issues.

Truth be told... I might not let you use them even then.

1. I don;t know how they are going to "fly" in freefall.
2. I would not let you were tinted glasses.

Also, 110 dollars would almost buy an alti and a cheaper pair of goggles......

It is not like you are gonna look cool since you still have to wear a protec and a student jumpsuit.... Save the cool guy shades till you have a license.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I really love Oakley too and am also wondering if these can be used for skydiving. I own 7 pairs currently (ranging from a whisker to a juliet fire polarized) and love 'em all. None of the Oakleys I have work well for freefall so I use Gatorz for skydiving.

Maybe I'll just test a wind jacket. Really like the Oakley glasses although I have nothing bad to say about the Gatorz.

On a non skydiving level, I'm an Oakley snob, having 3 pairs currently, with 2 extra lens kits for my M frame (yeah, I'm old school :ph34r:), and having had 2 more pairs before.

Blue skies!

There are a HUGE number of goggles available for skydiving, all of which are nowhere near that amount.

What do you hate about goggles, and have you checked your local gear store for other options?

I have a pair of flex fits i bought for $15 7 years ago, and although a little bent, still get jumped.
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

I also jump wearing the liquid smoked non polarized lenses and i like them a lot. I actually take the rubber ear peices off and slide my glasses strap all the way up to the stops. They fit well under my ROK helmet and i dont have fogging issues. I also like not having the full seal around the glasses, but to each his own!!
Wait , I pull what first?

I have worn the Liquid Player sunglasses in freefall without an issue. I much prefer these sunglasses over my old Oakleys (Minute). Also, a lot of people at my DZ have gone to Home Depot and bought a pair of the ~$9 tinted safety glasses. Super cheap so who cares if a pair falls off your head now and then ;)
This shit, right here, is OK

Call me old school. A hard lens that can fracture to a sharp edge can gouge an eye. So can aluminum or hard plastic frames. Sooner or later, you will be in the sky with others. That's when the full contact aspect of this sport will surface for you.
Getting a foot or elbow in the face combined with the dynamics of high speed in free fall will hurt badly enough with out adding a severe laceration from a jagged edge.B|
I recommend soft Kroops.;)