Justpin

Time to give up for a while?

Its Saturday night here in the UK. Tomorrow is a perfect wall to wall blue skies jumping day, if a little cold.

Yet I don't feel the fire in my gut to go to the DZ, and absolutely mundane things like cleaning the flat feel more appealing than a visit to the DZ.

Is this the signal to quit skydiving? Since tbh I no longer have much love for it and I feel it extremely boring as firstly I'm not particularly scared of jumping out of a plane anymore.

Secondly I am not allowed to do ANYTHING other than go out the door and fall 12000ft before opening my canopy.

The most I am allowed to do is to track, which got boring 15 jumps ago. And progress is virtually non existent.

Time to call it quits and find something that makes me want to get up and go for it?

Secondly I am not allowed to do ANYTHING other than go out the door and fall 12000ft before opening my canopy.

Is that because of your level of license? I know the UK is different from the U.S., but I don't know the exact rules.

If it were me, I suppose I'd look at that as an incentive to do whatever I needed to do (more jumps with an instructor or coach) to get cleared to jump with others. That, for me, is the major fun of skydiving. Other than night jumps and hop & pops, I can't remember the last time I did a solo jump!

As for the fear factor - I don't get particularly scared anymore either, but I still maintain a high level of awareness of the dangers so that I don't get complacent about it. But my interest in the sport moved beyond "getting over a major fear" as any kind of motivator.

Ultimately, it's up to you whether or not you're still into it. If you decide you're not, that's cool; it doesn't end up being for everyone. But jumping solo may be the reason that you're not having that much fun - if that's all I got to do, I'd probably have quit a long time ago, too.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I am not allowed to do ANYTHING other than go out the door and fall 12000ft before opening my canopy.

I don't understand this...care to be more specific? BPA Rules? DZO? Instructors?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

in the uk there is an FS1 qualification. without this you can only do solo's or jump with coaches.
If this person does not have FS1 and jumps at a DZ with not many coaches or is not willing to pay for coaching to get his FS1 then yes it is going to get boring just doing solo lobs.

Go to another dz get a coach get your FS1 then have fun with everyone else

Achieving FS1 - The levels

1) Fast & slow fall
AIM - Controlling fall rate whilst maintaining a heading.
2) Forward & backward movement
AIM - Moving forwards and backwards in a controlled manner maintaining a heading.
3) 360 degree turns in place
AIM - Turning 360 degrees in place in both directions, in a controlled manner.
4) 90/180 degree turns with docks
AIM - Turning 90 and 180 degrees in place in a controlled manner, taking and presenting grips.
5) Sidesliding
AIM - Moving sideways in both directions in a controlled manner, maintaining a heading.
6) Swoop to pin
AIM - Dive, approach a target and pin in a controlled manner.
7) 3 point 3-way
AIM - To achieve 3 points of a 3-way formation in a controlled manner.
8) 4 point 4-way
AIM - To achieve 4 points of a 4-way formation in a controlled manner.

www.bpa.org.uk/assets/Forms/The-FS-Student-Manual.doc

1) Fast & slow fall
AIM - Moving forwards and backwards in a controlled manner maintaining a heading.
AIM - Turning 90 and 180 degrees in place in a controlled manner, taking and presenting grips.
5) Sidesliding
AIM - Moving sideways in both directions in a controlled manner, maintaining a heading.
6) Swoop to pin
7) 3 point 3-way
8) 4 point 4-way

You're saying in the UK you can't do FS with people other than coaches until you do a 4 way, with 4 pts, with coaches? What does that last jump run, 4 jump tickets + coach fees?

I am so glad I don't live in the UK suddenly if this is the case.

The most I am allowed to do is to track, which got boring 15 jumps ago. And progress is virtually non existent.

Can't relate with you.

I'd be happy to just do solo's for the rest of my life if that was all I could do. I just enjoy the whole process and even doing one solo jump in a day stops the withdrawal shakes.:P

Maybe it's just a rut you're in. You should go out and jump tomorrow and see how you feel in freefall.

i was lucky as everyone paid they own slots on the 4way. The DZ i got my fs1 at coaching was free you just had to pay the slot so yes my 3way cost me 3 slots.
if us brits go on a camp to do the fs1 say in spain then it will set us back best part of £900 just for 8 jumps with 1 coach 1 jump with 2 coaches and 1 jump with 3 coaches

in the uk there is an FS1 qualification. without this you can only do solo's or jump with coaches.
If this person does not have FS1 and jumps at a DZ with not many coaches or is not willing to pay for coaching to get his FS1 then yes it is going to get boring just doing solo lobs.

Go to another dz get a coach get your FS1 then have fun with everyone else

Actually mate you can do more than solo's at being A-license in the UK, you just need to jump with others who have a Fs1. There is only one non fs1 allowed on a jump with others as long as they have it your ok :)
Justpin i would also suggest trying another dz as they are all, different think we all hit that brick wall at times and don't feel we are going forward, stick with it try some place new lots of places where people will jump with you for fun my friend :)

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

Actually mate you can do more than solo's at being A-license in the UK, you just need to jump with others who have a Fs1. There is only one non fs1 allowed on a jump with others as long as they have it your

You must have missed the BPA's official "clarification" which basically says that no you can't unless the other guys are coaches.

Other fun things to learn during solo, with the aid of books and video:

1) Back-flying
2) Sit-flying
3) Free-fly transitions
4) Different exits including the above
5) Landing a higher W/L than your listed .76:1
6) Front-riser approaches (per #5)
6) Accuracy landing, possibly from lower altitude.

things like cleaning the flat feel more appealing than a visit to the DZ.

Maybe you really are done...

1) Back-flying
2) Sit-flying
3) Free-fly transitions

So, learn to freefly solo, induced speed landings and downsize?

I don't agree that any of those are a great idea to do alone and without coaching. Getting into a back/sit fly where you're all over the sky could easily put you in someone else' airspace.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

So, learn to freefly solo,

Sure.

induced speed landings and downsize?

Huh? Would a 1:1 wingloading be way too extreme for someone with 82 jumps? BTW, double front risers can be used to make slight adjustments in glide angle while still high on final, enhancing accuracy. When performed above 100' on a light W/L, short-recovery-arc canopy, this hardly constitutes a high-performance landing. And this can be learned in a coaching enviromnent without the cost of an extra slot.

Getting into a back/sit fly where you're all over the sky could easily put you in someone else' airspace.

Less so than tracking, which Justpin is evidently already doing per OP. Exiting last on a solo with plenty of delay and then pulling high to make it back adds to the separation.

1) Fast & slow fall
5) Sidesliding
6) Swoop to pin
7) 3 point 3-way
8) 4 point 4-way

So as a newly licensed jumper you have to pay for 21 slots + rig rent or buy one.
Ooooh....

In my opinion, this sounds like a good system for giving coaches free jumps, but not so good to keep new jumpers in the sport.
What kind of jumping are the student doing while a student?
Is there not any jumps with FS in the jump progression as student?

DON’T QUIT DUDE!!!!!! At least before you really experience skydiving!
I’ve been where you are and with many more jumps. Skydiving (like any other sport) is only fun when it challenges you to improve. Every whuffo thinks we jump because of the adrenaline but as you already noticed we simply lose the fear factor (or most of it) after some time. Remember what brought you to the sport (FS, Freeflying, wingsuiting, BASE, etc) , set your target and go for it! Go to US (cheaper), find a good coach, do some tunnel training, jumps, learn and practice new drills.
I never had an idea of how cool freeflying could be until I started jumping with a great coach. He came up with some crazy jump routines which I truly believed my skills were not up to but they worked! That was my motivation to keep jumping. Then I discovered wingsuiting too :D
I’ve been depressed and frustrated a couple of times during my career. I jump probably in the most expensive place on earth and currently I don’t even have a decent DZ running in my state which makes me travel 380 miles every month. To get things worse very few people in my state want (or have the time and money) to train so finding a jump partner is really tough. My frustration got me into selling and buying gear, starting BASE (don’t recommend), etc
Don’t quit at least until you reach 200 and fly a wingsuit! :P
Have fun bro!

Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

Time to get your FS1.

Yes it is expensive, but definitely worth it. I learnt alot. You are only looking at a few hundred quid, which you have already ploughed into doing all of those solos. For the time the coaches gave me, I think they were worth every penny. Jumping with others is alot more fun and dynamic.

The sport has lots of paths of progression: flat, freefly and canopy. I don't see how you can get bored when there is so much more to learn.

Rik

In my opinion, this sounds like a good system for giving coaches free jumps

Trust me, after the 20th jump in a row where you get out and provide a base while somebody else does all the flying, the free jumps angle isn't very appealing.

After the 50th, then you really need to love coaching.

Go away and do a few dozen jumps with newbies, briefing how to turn yet again, instead of rocking that 20 point 4-way dive with the other people your level, or going on that bigway weekend, or whatever, then tell me it's a scam. Until then, I have a few choice suggestions, for what you can do with your opinion.

Gahh.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

1) Back-flying
2) Sit-flying
3) Free-fly transitions

So, learn to freefly solo, induced speed landings and downsize?

I don't agree that any of those are a great idea to do alone and without coaching. Getting into a back/sit fly where you're all over the sky could easily put you in someone else' airspace.

And another freeFLAILer is born:D:D

the free jumps angle isn't very appealing.

do a few dozen jumps with newbies, briefing how to turn yet again, instead of rocking that 20 point 4-way dive with the other people your level, or going on that bigway weekend,

Then maybe being a coach is not for you. You must have taken it seriously though, or it wouldn't have felt like so much work. I think it's an even trade-off for those who do it well and appreciate the paid slot. But from what I hear about training in the UK, these requirements have raised the students' cost out-of-reach for many. The program seems to beg for a cost-effective solution by considering models used in other countries.

***, The program seems to beg for a cost-effective solution by considering models used in other countries.

I think this is spot on.

Well it does seem to work at keeping the riff raff out if they can't afford to play with the "right" people.

the free jumps angle isn't very appealing.

do a few dozen jumps with newbies, briefing how to turn yet again, instead of rocking that 20 point 4-way dive with the other people your level, or going on that bigway weekend,

Then maybe being a coach is not for you. You must have taken it seriously though, or it wouldn't have felt like so much work

On the contrary. Being a coach is for me, and I love it. But it is work, and it does take commitment, and costs me money, and I sure as hell don't do it for the free jumps.

I just resent being told it's some kind of a scam. Getting my slot paid isn't an incentive, it's what makes the whole thing possible at all. Can you see how someone who takes coaching seriously, might find that annoying?

It should be obvious, given the chronic shortage of available coaches despite the hundreds of current rating holders - who in theory should be lining up for the "free jump" gravy train, if that was what it was. But, y'know. Apparently not.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I just resent being told it's some kind of a scam.

I don't think anyone has made that accusation in this thread.

Can you see how someone who takes coaching seriously, might find that annoying?

I take it seriously and am not annoyed. I have the good fortune to be appreciated by my students, and anybody else can kiss my ass. I'll attribute part of my students' good attitude to a training program that encourages them to become independent of me as early as possible in their skydiving career. They recognize me as the guy who facilitates that.