potatoman

Currency...

This is not intended for people working on DZ's, or coaches, rather the young and upcoming. a Mate of mine experienced the following.

Out of 4 weekends per month, he works one, family time the next, skydive the next, the last does another sport.

He wanted to do some coach jumps this weekend, and just 3weeks back did 3jumps. The coach, wanted him to do a refresher jump first, and then only assist. The jumper has got 80jumps.

Now, the jumper was planning to pass this coach jump, he is proficient, I done a few jumps with him. Planned the jump, premanifested, gots his dollars together to pay the coach....

Why is 3 weeks not jumping, an issue.

I think this is NOT progressing the sport, it is stopping people from wanting to jump. This newb is now pissed off, and wants to change DZ, and is also not certain if he wants to continue if things are going to be like this.
(Regulation here says over 1 month, you need refresher jump, not under 1 month)
Anybody feels the same, or your take on this.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

Seriously, find a different dropzone!

It sucks that you're having a bad time at one place, but don't quit the whole sport based on one venue. There are a lot of places where the coaches just coach, and aren't also the camera flyers/instructors/etc.

If you don't want to mention a specific place on a public forum, PM me and I'll try and advise on better options near you.

Try two, and then quit ;)

--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I feel the same. There simply are never any coaches at the dropzone. I have money and time and been there regular as clockwork, but each time I go they are busy flying camera or tandem.

Which is why I'm very close to quitting.

that's a different reason from what you wrote in your other post
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Dude my own personal experiences are not exactly unique, and tbh Manchester is a pretty crap area to skydive in I'd go as far as to say it is shit. You've got the 'unmentionable place' which is a freakin tandem mill where I lurked for close to 6 months and made bog all progress.

You've got a better one farther a field which is better but has similar multi job staff. They are open less frequently as well. They also have a ton of banned people (16 at last count) from the 'unmentionable place' all fighting over the coaches here.

There is however a wild card the one South of here Tilly which i've never managed to jump at. Which on paper is going to be even worse than the above two (I am an altitude whore) But in reality talking to lots of people and on UKS. Is actually a very very progressive DZ.

I can't be doing with hib right now. A ride to Leeds the other day I couldn't feel my fingers. Hib is another hour and half on the motorway.

Dude my own personal experiences are not exactly unique, and tbh Manchester is a pretty crap area to skydive in I'd go as far as to say it is shit. You've got the 'unmentionable place' which is a freakin tandem mill where I lurked for close to 6 months and made bog all progress.

You've got a better one farther a field which is better but has similar multi job staff. They are open less frequently as well. They also have a ton of banned people (16 at last count) from the 'unmentionable place' all fighting over the coaches here.

There is however a wild card the one South of here Tilly which i've never managed to jump at. Which on paper is going to be even worse than the above two (I am an altitude whore) But in reality talking to lots of people and on UKS. Is actually a very very progressive DZ.

I can't be doing with hib right now. A ride to Leeds the other day I couldn't feel my fingers. Hib is another hour and half on the motorway.

If by tilly you mean Tilstock near Whitchurch, i jump there as often as I can manage financially and it's a busy little DZ. Yes there are a lot of tandems but they do try to give equal consideration to students and experienced jumpers. They have 2 aircraft, a cessna 206 and an airvan and most of the time jump mixed loads. My last load that I jumped there was 3 students on S/L, 1 tandem and video which seems to be fairly typical. Open Fridays and Saturdays (except Dec & Jan - saturdays only) and usually first thursday of each month. If it's a bit far from you there's a travelodge just down the road (about 15 - 20 mins) at Shrewsbury Battlefield with a good pub ( The Two Henrys) that serves really good food.
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation

Out of 4 weekends per month, he works one, family time the next, skydive the next, the last does another sport.
I think this is NOT progressing the sport, it is stopping people from wanting to jump.

The jumper in question needs to adjust their priorities or take a more realistic view of their future in the sport. If they only jump 1 weekend per month, they are going to progress very slowly and they will run into problems relating to currency. How good are they at the other sport?

How safe is someone with 80 jumps when they are only at the DZ 1 weekend per month?

Can you gamble on the weather in the UK by only giving yourself 1 weekend per month to jump?

Hi, although I am a nooby to the sport I would like to share my thoughts on this.  I am an experienced pilot and there seems and there are many parallels. 
Aviation isn't a very forgiving environment for mistakes and skydiving is totally unforgiving.  I had a stark reminder when I visited someone from my DZ in the spinal unit this week.

I found that in the early phases of aviation I had totally immerse my self in the topic.  Skydiving is the same, at least for me.  This means regular jumping, lots to reading and spending time talking to coaches, instructors and the experienced folks.  I feel sorry for your friend who is doing his best to balance his commitments but I don't think it's realistic to expect to swing by the DZ once every 3 weeks and to safely progress in the sport.

This is not in the UK, we have far better weather.
He is a fun jumper that has spent a lot of time initially on the dz, but now just wants to get a license to have some fun with mates, so no need to progress to D-lic or something like that. He loves the sport.

Anyways, nobody attempts to mention the coach. Of 3 weeks not jumping, asking for a refresher sucks. Killing the sport, and we need more people to get those turbines up.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

no need to progress to D-lic or something like that.

"No need?" Not sure about your PASA rules; don't they permit longer currency period to higher license-holders? There is your "need."

He loves the sport.

Love won't extend his currency, but earning the next license probably will. In the US, even an A license permits up to 60 days between jumps. This sport belongs to those who invest in it. Time to man-up or go home.