gamache529

Sabre2 v. Nitron

Was looking to downsize from my Sabre2 190 to a Sabre2 150 since ive lost about 40lbs and 130 jumps since i got my 190. I've been jumping an Nitron150 for about 50 or so jumps. But my question is:

What has better performance a Sabre2 150 or a Nitron 150? if anyone could eleborate too thatd be awesome

The nitron is a high performance canopy so you should have 400-ish jumps before jumping a canopy like that.

Why would you downsize 2 sizes at once plus switch canopy categories as well (that counts as another downsize)? Think that's smart?

A sabre 2 is a very good canopy to learn to swoop on, if that's what you mean by "performance".

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I agree with dragon2.
I went from a Sabre 170 to a Sabre2 135, and there is a huge difference. I know that there is also a difference in performance when going from Sabre to Sabre2, but two sizes down will definately let you feel a huge difference, even when it's the same canopy.

Define 'better performance'. I'd also suggest not skipping a downsize... go with a 170 for a hundred jumps or so before moving to a 150. There's a really big difference in response, even from a 170 to a 150. I had a 150 SA2 and went to a 135, and it was like flying a completely different canopy. I since switched to a Nitro 120... but I got the Nitro at about 1000 jumps and knowing exactly what I wanted from a canopy (good glide, fairly fast recovery arc, swoopable when I felt like doing some marginally higher speed landings, amazing accuracy and the ability to land it in a back yard if necessary, good flare, consistent openings, fairly aggressive response, etc).

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I think some people are getting confused between a Nitro, manufactured by High Performance Research, and the Nitron, manufactued by Precision Aerodynamics.

I checked their site and the description of the Nitron has changed. But if i check the gear section of DZ.com i found what i was looking for.

So, it doesn't matter if people confuse these 2 canopies. they are the same design and will nominally fly the same The only difference i'm aware of is direct line attachement on the PA version vs lines with cascades on the PR-canopy

The Nitron (9-cell ZP elliptical) is Precision's version of the high-performance original design by Klaus Schenk that is marketed in Europe under the trade name of Nitro by the designer's company, Profile Research. The first time we jumped the Nitro, we knew immediately that we didn't want to compete with this remarkable canopy, we wanted to manufacture and market it by integrating it into the Ground Zero project

--------

www.youtube.com/l0013

>I think some people are getting confused between a Nitro, manufactured by High
>Performance Research, and the Nitron, manufactued by Precision Aerodynamics.

Same canopy design, different manufacturers. I've jumped both of them and jumped a Nitro 108 for about 800 jumps. Not a soft opening canopy but excellent on-heading performance, moderate recovery arc, light toggle pressure but heavyish front riser pressure.

>My exit weight is just under 200lbs. Im loading a 150 at less than 1.35.

At 220 jumps the absolute smallest canopy you should be jumping is a ~160. I'd recommend a Safire2 169. Also try the Pilot 168; it's similar in performance.

I think some people are getting confused between a Nitro, manufactured by High Performance Research, and the Nitron, manufactued by Precision Aerodynamics.

My exit weight is just under 200lbs. Im loading a 150 at less than 1.35.

Basically the Nitro and the Nitron are the same canopy. So no confusion here.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

>I think some people are getting confused between a Nitro, manufactured by High
>Performance Research, and the Nitron, manufactued by Precision Aerodynamics.

Same canopy design, different manufacturers. I've jumped both of them and jumped a Nitro 108 for about 800 jumps. Not a soft opening canopy but excellent on-heading performance, moderate recovery arc, light toggle pressure but heavyish front riser pressure.

>My exit weight is just under 200lbs. Im loading a 150 at less than 1.35.

At 220 jumps the absolute largest canopy you should be jumping is a ~160. I'd recommend a Safire2 169. Also try the Pilot 168; it's similar in performance.

Did you mean smallest?;)

James

My exit weight is just under 200lbs. Im loading a 150 at less than 1.35.

Basically the Nitro and the Nitron are the same canopy. So no confusion here.

Beezy said the only difference is that the Nitro has spanwise reinforcement tape, and the Nitron does not. The Nitro 150 I demoed packed basically the same size as my Nitron 170, probably because of the tape.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

since we've got that cleared up, back to the original question.

Will a sabre2 150 have more or less performance than a nitron 150?

Having flown both, the Nitron will turn faster and has a much shorter recovery arc. It also has a much flatter glide. But it is not a canopy for a jumper with low numbers. If you are thinking of it as a step towards swooping, the short recovery arc will create bad habits. Stick with the Sabre2 and ring out all the performance it has to offer and then move to a hotter canopy.

If you can swoop the shit out of a tugboat, think of what you can do when you have a canopy that likes to go fast.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Just curious - when did the Nitro/Nitron start being considered fully elliptical??
I know when I started jumping I was told the Nitro/Nitron canopies were semi-elliptical like the Sabre2, and in fact a lot of jumpers at my DZ transitioned straight to them off of student status (50 to 100 jumps). I never saw anyone have any problems with them either (not that that means much).
I also seem to recall ads for the Nitron where the 170 and 150 were listed as "Intermediate" class canopies at 1.2 -1.4 wingloading...

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...