Tyrion

Possible to kick out of twists AS they're happening?

I had my first linetwists on wednesday, due to dropping a shoulder as I deployed on my stage 3 AFF no doubt.

I looked up to check my canopy and was basically watching my twists happen, so I grabbed the risers, trying to pull them apart and kick my way out of the 4 or 5 that were developing, unsuccessfully. Once I had stopped spinning I kicked out of them pretty quickly, but I was wondering if there's some way to stop the twisting once you realise its occurring!

Thanks!

Without an open main, you don't really have much "traction" against which to kick.

Since I apparently have bad enough body position that I still get spun up pretty regularly, I get to think about this a lot :P
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Just gotta remember to check your altimeter every few seconds while trying to kick out of the twists. You spend too much time, you get too low to go to your reserve and land safely...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

>I was wondering if there's some way to stop the twisting once
> you realise its occurring!

With smaller canopies - yes, and it's almost essential. You have to body steer immediately upon sensing a change in direction of the canopy. With larger canopies body steering is not as effective, but can still do some good.

I say, begin kicking out of them right away. When I had my spinning linetwists (jump 59), they were still happening when I did my first attempt at kicking. It stopped the further twisting. On the second time, I finished untwisting (I think I was done by 2500 feet)

I was beginning to think of my EP's (for the first time).

It was relatively minor, only about something like 540 degree linetwists, and under a novice-sized Sabre 170 canopy.

I'd say it's worth a try. It will most likely stop the twisting sooner and I don't see how it could hurt any. Anything to kill you momentum would help (kicking, trying to spread the risers, etc.) but make sure you don't let the lines twist down and get your hands locked in the risers/lines, that would be a BAD situation. I always kept my hands off the risers until I had gotten to the "untwist" stage by kicking. I kicked out of 7 complete twists once as a student, I was flailing for quite a while. :S

I had my first linetwists on wednesday, due to dropping a shoulder as I deployed on my stage 3 AFF no doubt.

I looked up to check my canopy and was basically watching my twists happen, so I grabbed the risers, trying to pull them apart and kick my way out of the 4 or 5 that were developing, unsuccessfully. Once I had stopped spinning I kicked out of them pretty quickly, but I was wondering if there's some way to stop the twisting once you realise its occurring!

Thanks!

Newton's 1st, 2nd and 3rd Laws explain your observations.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Thanks all for the input!

I especially found billvon's comment about "body steering immediately upon sensing a change in direction of the canopy" particularly interesting. I'm not sure what you mean by this... Would you mind elaborating for a beginner eager to learn? :)

When you get a lot more experienced. . . .

You will feel the canopy starting to turn left or right as it opens. You'll push your thigh and butt down in the opposite direction. This "harness steering" will make the canopy turn back. You literally fly the canopy with yur butt, even on tandem openings.

Your line twist started when the bag lifted off your back, probably. That's a little bit harder situation to "butt fly" out of.

On HnPs yu can, if you do a short delay and see you lines twisting up you can change your body position early and help stop them twisting.

I did it 2 weeks ago, as I deployed i watched the bag start to spin and I rotated myself around and line my self up the the lines again, the heading was all out but no line twists:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Funny -- I had my first real line twist this weekend (6 twists around), and Matt's phrase "don't spend the rest of your life trying to fix it..." was the first thing that popped into my head (well, after an altimeter check).

Kicked out just fine.

Observation: Newton (and Kallend) was right: it was easier to kick out once it stopped twisting.

[edited to add the word "first"]