BigM

17 Years Old - Tandem

Anybody know any DZs that will take a 17 year old for a tandem? I know there were a couple of them a few years ago. Thanks guys.

Jeff

"When I die, I want to go like my grandmother, who died peacefully in her sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in her car."

No USPA Tandem Instructor may take someone under the age of 18 without a waiver approved by the USPA BOD.

Aren't they still breaking the rules set by the manufacturer? Are those manufacturer's rules really enforceable if the person in the instructor position chooses to ignore them?
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Anybody know any DZs that will take a 17 year old for a tandem? I know there were a couple of them a few years ago. Thanks guys.

Jeff

I'm pretty sure most Canadian DZs allow tandems if they are at least 16 or older. I've seen a few them on my DZs (birthday gifts).

OK, I should have clarified...looking for a DZ in the SE United States...GA, FL maybe. Thanks.

"When I die, I want to go like my grandmother, who died peacefully in her sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in her car."

Aren't they still breaking the rules set by the manufacturer?

It was my understanding that only some of the mfgs have such rules.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

No USPA Tandem Instructor may take someone under the age of 18 without a waiver approved by the USPA BOD.

Sorry, but the above statement is completely wrong. USPA will allow Tandem Jumps at 16, just as they allow solo jumps at 16. There is a BSR that a USPA Tandem Instructor must comply with the age requirements of the tandem system manufacturer of the tandem system they are using. There are tandem manufacturers that set no age limit and a USPA Tandem Instructor is perfectly legal taking a 16 year old on such a system.

Mike Mullins
USPA National Director
Member, Safety and Training Committee

Jeff

West Tennessee Skydiving will take tandems at 16 or 17 provided one parent is present and the other parent is either present or sends written permission. These jumps are USPA and FAA legal in all aspects.

Mike Mullins

Sorry, but the above statement is completely wrong. USPA will allow Tandem Jumps at 16, just as they allow solo jumps at 16. There is a BSR that a USPA Tandem Instructor must comply with the age requirements of the tandem system manufacturer of the tandem system they are using. There are tandem manufacturers that set no age limit and a USPA Tandem Instructor is perfectly legal taking a 16 year old on such a system.

Mike Mullins
USPA National Director
Member, Safety and Training Committee

Thank you for the clarification, it appears my information was out of date and I should have checked the resources available. It's also a great example of the USPA BOD not following through on a commitment.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

West Tennessee Skydiving will take tandems at 16 or 17 provided one parent is present and the other parent is either present or sends written permission. These jumps are USPA and FAA legal in all aspects.

Mike Mullins

Which tandem manufacturer's gear are these jumps being done with? Eclipse?
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

I'd like to point out that there are USPA rules, and FAA laws. In the US, you'd be breaking no laws taking a seven year old on a tandem skydive. You would be breaking USPA rules which are enforceable by revocation of ratings, membership, etc.

I can't prove a negative, but if you disagree please show me the FAR proving me wrong.
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

Its so strange to see little kids doing a tandem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5f6EgWiU_w

Part of me thinks, Oh, that's wrong. The other part thinks, It would have been way easier for me to adapt to freefall (without being frightened out of my mind) had I been exposed to it as a kid.
My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.